Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 07:27 AM

5,117 posts, read 6,100,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Well they are following the tax laws that allow .545/mile deduction so there should be no issue. As Trump said if it's wrong change the law. But they shouldn't change the laws if that figure is accurate for all cars. The issue here is rideshare folks drive the right cars that hold up, are good on gas, and are not brand new so they don't depreciate like a new one. So by applying the law they can both be profitable and pay little in taxes and it's all perfectly legal.

As for your earlier post I'm sure there are guys who just see the big weekly pay and don't think ahead and plan for repairs and a replacement car. But that does not mean the business model is not sustainable as others have claimed, it certainly is sustainable if you do it right.

If they are following the tax laws I'm fine (You have to file taxes to take the deduction) My problem is with people who are doing delivery work or 'cash payment' work and not filing taxes at all or not including their secondary job on their taxes. Worse is when employers (usually small operations) encourage this by paying in cash or by generic checks that are not on a payroll account. The company did this so they didn't have to pay their share of Social Security or payroll taxes. Of course when the employees who were honest (or had parents who insisted on them filing since they hired a lot of teenagers) found out that there was no paperwork on file showing them as employees and no taxes had been withheld
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 08:35 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,976,185 times
I did this once, totally not worth it.

Believe I got $55 for three hours worth. So $18.33 an hour in Southern CA.That doesn't include the time waiting in queue to load up your car at the warehouse, that's 30-45 minutes of your time. So if you consider that, about $15 an hour.

I was able to finish my deliveries in under three hours but I was hustling to do so. Most people in apartments or gated complexes don't include codes so major hassle with that. Plus, nowhere to park with apartments. Double parking and aimlessly trying to figure out the correct unit hoping you don't get towed isn't fun.

I definitely don't recommend it. I'd do uber/lyft for an hour before I'd do this again.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:30 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,136,558 times
Quote:
Nobody is "hiding income", they are applying the .545/mile standard business deduction to offset most of the income
Which is what they are supposed to do because it is allowed.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:33 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,231,480 times
Quote:
They earn $1,200- $1,500 a week after gas and pay virtually no taxes or SS.
You just contradicted yourself. If they pay virtually no taxes or SS, they have virtually no profits (earnings).

That means their expenses are pretty much eating all their revenue.

Take their profit and divide it by the number of hours they're driving and they make a fraction of minimum wage. They're better off at a Mcjob.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
As for your earlier post I'm sure there are guys who just see the big weekly pay and don't think ahead and plan for repairs and a replacement car. But that does not mean the business model is not sustainable as others have claimed, it certainly is sustainable if you do it right.
It is only sustainable short term. It is not sustainable in the long run.

These "gigs" are nothing but selling a car by converting it to cash one mile at time.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
The ones who didn't make it work are those who expected it to be a simple matter of signing up and drive. Just like any other line of work, it's not for everyone.
No, they expected to do it long term. The minute the transmission or engine blew up, or they had to buy a new car, game over. The economics didn't play out. Math is too hard for those hyping these gigs.

These "gigs" are only for the short term.

Old 11-30-2018, 05:27 AM

16,283 posts, read 10,427,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
No, they expected to do it long term. The minute the transmission or engine blew up, or they had to buy a new car, game over. The economics didn't play out. Math is too hard for those hyping these gigs.

These "gigs" are only for the short term.
I have debunked every one of your points already with the facts, facts you continue to ignore. I'm not doing it again. I have spoken with many full time ride share drivers who have done this for years and have gone over all of this with them, you have not.

The end

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 11-30-2018 at 05:38 AM..

Old 11-30-2018, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I did this once, totally not worth it.

Believe I got $55 for three hours worth. So $18.33 an hour in Southern CA.That doesn't include the time waiting in queue to load up your car at the warehouse, that's 30-45 minutes of your time. So if you consider that, about $15 an hour.

I was able to finish my deliveries in under three hours but I was hustling to do so. Most people in apartments or gated complexes don't include codes so major hassle with that. Plus, nowhere to park with apartments. Double parking and aimlessly trying to figure out the correct unit hoping you don't get towed isn't fun.

I definitely don't recommend it. I'd do uber/lyft for an hour before I'd do this again.
Yeah that was my take too. Looks like a big hassle for little income. I can see it to supplement the ride share as this is often done during the day when ride share is low but that's about it.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:12 AM

Quote:
I have debunked every one of your points already with the facts, facts you continue to ignore. I'm not doing it again. I have spoken with many full time ride share drivers who have done this for years and have gone over all of this with them, you have not.

The end
You confuse facts with anecdotal evidence. Both are not the same.

In addition, uber and lyft are researching the self-driving cars, which will put drivers out of work. In effect, uber/lyft drivers are working very hard to become obsolete. You never addressed that.

Old 11-30-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
You confuse facts with anecdotal evidence. Both are not the same.

In addition, uber and lyft are researching the self-driving cars, which will put drivers out of work. In effect, uber/lyft drivers are working very hard to become obsolete. You never addressed that.

I never saw the topic brought up before. I think it's crazy that Uber is wasting so much money on self driving cars. That's Buck Rodgers Star Wars stuff. I would never in my life set foot a self driving car and I have yet to talk to anyone who would. So no this profession is not going the way of the VCR technician. Self driving cars may find a niche but to believe ride share jobs will become obsolete is nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment