Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 11:17 PM

6,739 posts, read 4,424,565 times

Advertisements

The sad part. Jeff Bezos, the wealthiest man in the world, the founder, chairman and CEO and they operate like this. Dont use Amazon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 07:34 AM

16,283 posts, read 10,427,990 times
Well I kind of look at it like the same way I look at Walmart positions. Not to sound too cold but if people do not think it's worth it then they should find another job. I'm not sure what is to be expected in terms of pay for totally unskilled work. I see no reason to boycott Amazon, or Walmart for that matter, as both are simply making jobs available that nobody is forcing anyone to accept.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:18 AM

1,289 posts, read 939,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I'm no Amazon cheerleader...to me Amazon is no more evil than any other company, and less so than some (Monsanto) and what I object to here is random complaints that are based on simple political differences. Otherwise it makes NO sense to complain Amazon is not paying enough, when $15 an hour is much higher than min wage here and much higher than most unskilled jobs pay.
I think it makes tremendous sense. I'd bet Mr Bezos knows darn good and well that $15 an hour is not enough for tens of millions of americans to be able to pay rent and eat, have electricity, heat, some form of reliable transportation, and maybe, just maybe, get a prescription filled when they need to or go see a dentist if they absolutely must. These are basics. But if the person has a child? Oh my. Even if $15 an hour is much higher than some states' minimum wage and higher than what some other companies pay, if it can't be lived on it is not enough. And I'm not thinking about politics at all right now.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
I think it makes tremendous sense. I'd bet Mr Bezos knows darn good and well that $15 an hour is not enough for tens of millions of americans to be able to pay rent and eat, have electricity, heat, some form of reliable transportation, and maybe, just maybe, get a prescription filled when they need to or go see a dentist if they absolutely must. These are basics. But if the person has a child? Oh my. Even if $15 an hour is much higher than some states' minimum wage and higher than what some other companies pay, if it can't be lived on it is not enough. And I'm not thinking about politics at all right now.

Are you aware of what retail pays? A desk clerk at a motel? Every single restaurant? The people who pick up your trash or direct traffic during road construction? They do not approach $15/hour by the way. It appears as if you have set yourself up to boycott every single business if this is your bar.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:03 AM

35,087 posts, read 31,339,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Are you aware of what retail pays? A desk clerk at a motel? Every single restaurant? The people who pick up your trash or direct traffic during road construction? They do not approach $15/hour by the way. It appears as if you have set yourself up to boycott every single business if this is your bar.
Chick-Fil-A here is hiring for $11/hr. Panda Express is about the same. Aldi starts the bottom workers at $16/hr. There all sorts of entry level jobs in manufacturing around here for $15 or so.

IMO, if someone can't make $15/hr, they aren't trying.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:01 AM

801 posts, read 548,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Chick-Fil-A here is hiring for $11/hr. Panda Express is about the same. Aldi starts the bottom workers at $16/hr. There all sorts of entry level jobs in manufacturing around here for $15 or so.

Shhh... You can't say that here. You will be labeled as a Corporate Apologist.

It's unethical for successful business owners to try to get their desired results at the lowest possible price within the boundaries of the law.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:26 AM

50,828 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
Okay, so why aren't people here complaining about McDonalds, Olive Garden, Home Depot, Target, Walmart, movie theaters and the majority of low skilled jobs that only pay minimum wage? Amazon pays almost twice as much as those places do in NJ, so, no, I can't see that it makes any sense at all to blame them for the prevailing low wages that have been around for decades. If $15.00 an hour isn't enough to live on, how is $8 not worse?

BTW, when there have been threads on here about raising min wage to $15, the vast majority of posters are dead set against it.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:29 AM

50,828 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:

This depends where you are. In NJ, with a much higher cost of living than Tennessee, Chic-Fil-A pays $9.00 an hour:

From Indeed:
We have a part-time/full-time opening for a Chick-fil-A Team Member. At Chick-fil-A, the team member role is more than just a job, it's an opportunity. Team members gain life experience that goes far beyond just serving a great product in a friendly environment. Chick-fil-A is a great opportunity for people of all ages and backgrounds, and no food service experience is necessary. Must be able to work various shifts per week and be available weekdays and weekends.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
Salary: $9.00 /hour

Old 12-03-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:

There are also plenty of jobs, such as the ones I listed, that pay less. I kind of struggle to believe Chick Fil A pays even $11/hour as the post above indicated. But again $11/hour is not $15/hour. And again these are jobs with no skills, they should not be paying much so this Amazon Flex does not appear to be such a bad deal if you ask me.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:12 AM

1,289 posts, read 939,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Huh? I'm not boycotting anything. Not mad at anyone either. I was just responding to another poster who said that because Mr Bezos pays $15 an hour for work at a certain skill level and many other businesses pay less for that skill level then it makes no sense to claim Mr. Bezos does not pay "enough". I said it makes sense to me. There are tens of millions of americans for whom $15 an hour won't meet the most basic of needs so for them it is most assuredly not enough, and I'm sure Bezos is aware of this. I added that I wasn't talking politics. (I was talking arithmetic. Speaking of which a quick search shows it looks like the people who drive the trash trucks around here make $1150 a week.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment