Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 09:18 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,920,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Still incorrect.

A job pays you for your labor over time. That is your pay. Your employer pays the business expenses in addition to what they pay you.

A contract pays you a flat price regardless of your expenses. Once you deduct ALL of your business expenses from the contract price, THAT is your pay. The company contracting the work out has offloaded a portion of their business expenses to you, and transferred that cost and liability to you in your contract.

Surely you can see the difference...

A professional independent contractor is expected to be able to calculate their actual expenses in bidding out a contract. The average person looking to earn some money driving deliveries with their own vehicle at a rate set by others is not going to be so savvy.
No. You're earning your gross salary. It's just a question of if the company withholds certain expenses or if you do yourself as a contractor.

If you're saying the average person isn't smart enough to know how much owning and operating a car costs them, then I don't have much to say. Everyone knows you're paying for gas, maintenance, etc. and that expense comes out of a paycheck. Are you falling into the camp that's calling this a con because you don't think a person is capable of calculating how much it costs to drive a car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 09:40 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,793,369 times
My kid has been doing this for about a year.

She complains about the inconsistent crazy system to get work. It is a good job for her since she has emotional and physical ailments that make even the most simple jobs overwhelming for her. The flex schedule accommodates this as well as she doesn't have to deal with customers.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:55 AM

10,908 posts, read 7,406,054 times
Here's the IRS definition of independent contractor from https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small...ractor-defined :

The general rule is that an individual is an independent contractor if the payer has the right to control or direct only the result of the work and not what will be done and how it will be done...

You are not an independent contractor if you perform services that can be controlled by an employer (what will be done and how it will be done). This applies even if you are given freedom of action. What matters is that the employer has the legal right to control the details of how the services are performed.

If an employer-employee relationship exists (regardless of what the relationship is called), you are not an independent contractor and your earnings are generally not subject to Self-Employment Tax

They add that an independent contractor is self employed.

Old 11-19-2018, 04:04 PM

3,261 posts, read 3,776,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic9075 View Post
I don't know how anyone in their right mind would want to use their OWN vehicle for deliveries / Uber etc... Just the wear and tear on the car (driving around the greater Boston area or NYC area is usually awful ) excess wear and tear means the car is basically ready for the scrap yard after you pay off the loan (since cars are good until around 100,000 miles then very expensive repairs are usually needed not to mention usually an entire suspension overhaul or replacement is needed)..
But 100,000 miles would generate about $80,000 on Uber. Seems like you could probably replace your transmission for $80,000. Maybe even have a little leftover for new tires.

Old 11-19-2018, 04:16 PM

605 posts, read 336,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
You could say the same thing about any con operation. If you don't want to be conned by a Bernie Madoff, don't give him your money to invest. Yet Madoff still went to prison.
This isn't about someone who has money to invest.
It's likely about someone who doesn't have money to eat!!

Big difference.

Old 11-19-2018, 05:17 PM

267 posts, read 158,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I believe they pay them by the package. In other words, the $18 is just an estimated amount.

Got one delivered by a flex driver yesterday. Told me he was getting $95 to deliver 30 packages.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:05 PM

801 posts, read 548,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmouse View Post
Got one delivered by a flex driver yesterday. Told me he was getting $95 to deliver 30 packages.
How big were these packages and how long does it take him to get it done?

Old 11-19-2018, 06:25 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,051,112 times
The moral of the story here is: don't waste your TIME working your butt off so that Jeff Bezos can make money. I value my time immensely, which is why I'm not an Uber or Lyft or Amazon or Door Dash or whatever else driver.

Life is too short to make a tiny bit of "extra" cash only to have to pay your own operating expenses in the pursuit of making a giant conglomerate rich.

Gain a real skill, learn it well, then strike out on your own and work for yourself. Capitalism is awesome but you have to actually participate in it. Driving for suckers' wages + expenses is only making someone else rich.

If you really do the math, by the time you add up the damage done to your vehicle and the miles you're putting on the odometer you might actually be making negative money. Why are people letting all these delivery companies take advantage of them by allowing the company use of your private vehicle without compensation for it?

You're better off getting a good night's rest, spending time with friends, reading a good book, watching a sunset or any other way of generally keeping your sanity. Don't work for peanuts.

Speaking of which, if you want to do something about it, well, "Black Friday" is coming up. It would be a perfect time to walk out of Wal-Mart or any of those other retail stores and to actually unionize (yes, I'm a conservative who loves private sector unions). You want to fight for $15 or whatever? Well actually go fight for it. Walk out. But you actually have to DO it. Make them put their money where their corporate mouths are; if they say they value their workers, well prove it to them by making them realize how valuable people are and then making them pay you something decent. They can't make money if no one is manning the registers or pulling security at the front door. Think about it.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:46 PM

801 posts, read 548,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
The moral of the story here is: don't waste your TIME working your butt off so that Jeff Bezos can make money. I value my time immensely, which is why I'm not an Uber or Lyft or Amazon or Door Dash or whatever else driver.

1. Life is too short to make a tiny bit of "extra" cash only to have to pay your own operating expenses in the pursuit of making a giant conglomerate rich.

Gain a real skill, learn it well, then strike out on your own and work for yourself. Capitalism is awesome but you have to actually participate in it. Driving for suckers' wages + expenses is only making someone else rich.
2.If you really do the math, by the time you add up the damage done to your vehicle and the miles you're putting on the odometer you might actually be making negative money. Why are people letting all these delivery companies take advantage of them by allowing the company use of your private vehicle without compensation for it?

3. You're better off getting a good night's rest, spending time with friends, reading a good book, watching a sunset or any other way of generally keeping your sanity. Don't work for peanuts.

4. Speaking of which, if you want to do something about it, well, "Black Friday" is coming up. It would be a perfect time to walk out of Wal-Mart or any of those other retail stores and to actually unionize (yes, I'm a conservative who loves private sector unions). You want to fight for $15 or whatever? Well actually go fight for it. Walk out. But you actually have to DO it. Make them put their money where their corporate mouths are; if they say they value their workers, well prove it to them by making them realize how valuable people are and then making them pay you something decent. They can't make money if no one is manning the registers or pulling security at the front door. Think about it.
1. Some people rely on these extra cash to keep a roof over their head, believe it or not.

2. Maybe they've done the math and concluded that it's worth their time?

3. You sound like you've never lived paycheck to paycheck before. Not everyone has the luxury to spend waking hours doing nothing.

4. That's probably why those retail stores pays double during black friday. I am not sure if that strategy would work in the long run. Paying those low skills workers 15/hr might make them more expensive than a machine.

I, for one, am grateful to people working these type of gigs. I moved in to any empty apartment not too ago and literally didn't lift a finger.

The people I hired from those apps were very pleasant and seemed REALLY grateful for the opportunity.

Last edited by Liar_Liar; 11-19-2018 at 07:39 PM..

Old 11-19-2018, 06:51 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
And what is the difference between this and Pizza Delivery drivers? Running lights, speeding, maybe we should add going up one way streets the wrong way ('It was only a couple hundred feet') All to make a corporate promised delivery time.
The difference is that NO pizza places have made that "delivery time guarantee" in many many years. I worked for three major pizza chains in the mid-90s (while in college), and it was already a defunct practice by then - precisely because of the hazards it caused, and supposedly a few deaths too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment