Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2018, 11:30 AM

6,734 posts, read 4,415,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
And the drivers Amazon hires for home deliveries are horrible. No courtesy for drivers behind them at all.

The richest man in our history and the owner of Amazon, Jeff Bezos cant come off a little bit of it. But just does this.'
"Amazon founder Jeff Bezos gives $5 million to Portland nonprofit". You would think once you're worth $150 Billion, you could pay your people a decent wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 11:48 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
The richest man in our history and the owner of Amazon, Jeff Bezos cant come off a little bit of it. But just does this.'
"Amazon founder Jeff Bezos gives $5 million to Portland nonprofit". You would think once you're worth $150 Billion, you could pay your people a decent wage.
It seems to me like they do. My nephew has worked at Auto Zone for years and makes less than $9.00 an hour, his new PT job at an Amazon warehouse he gets $15 an hour, almost $7 more than min wage here. Even the experienced CNAs at the nursing home I work in get maybe $12 an hour. That job is way harder than a warehouse job and requires far more skills.

This flex thing isn't really a "job" they are hiring contractors. It's much closer to driving for Uber than an actual job. Some who are smart are making lots of money, renting U-Hauls, etc. But it's really like having your own business, in that you can influence its' success or failure. In any case, with actual jobs like warehouse worker and customer service, Amazon pays much more than other low skilled jobs at least in my region.

Old 11-23-2018, 12:31 PM

34,015 posts, read 17,041,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It seems to me like they do. My nephew has worked at Auto Zone for years and makes less than $9.00 an hour, his new PT job at an Amazon warehouse he gets $15 an hour, almost $7 more than min wage here. Even the experienced CNAs at the nursing home I work in get maybe $12 an hour. That job is way harder than a warehouse job and requires far more skills.

Great points.

Old 11-23-2018, 12:33 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,984,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post

If only Sociopath Bezos would have funneled that money to his EMPLOYEES today, you wouldn't have had mass walk outs

Im sure one of his sociopath buddies are somehow involved in that non-profi. Anyone that it is worth 150 Billion today and still working, theres usually an evil intent behind it

Just another sweatshop ran by greedy nuts that aren't held accountable to anyone or anything. . Another place to avoid

Old 11-23-2018, 01:45 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,746,015 times
Amazon's trying to kill UPS, one of the last blue collar, union jobs a person can get with only a HS diploma & still buy a home, a car, send your kids to college & maybe take a vacation once a year. UPS drivers make $36 p/h + full medical/dental/life, paid vacations & pension. Amazon pays $5-$11 net with no benefits of any kind. Not hard to see how Amazon's got a bit of an advantage is it?

This is the new corporate America. Replace good paying, full time, blue collar, career jobs, with low paying, part time, short term jobs. I shake my head when I hear the millennials defend Amazon do ardently. Amazon is nothing more than a younger Walmart.

Old 11-23-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
If only Sociopath Bezos would have funneled that money to his EMPLOYEES today, you wouldn't have had mass walk outs

Im sure one of his sociopath buddies are somehow involved in that non-profi. Anyone that it is worth 150 Billion today and still working, theres usually an evil intent behind it

Just another sweatshop ran by greedy nuts that aren't held accountable to anyone or anything. . Another place to avoid
Again, $15 an hour is much more than most places pay for unskilled labor. Who do you know that pays more for jobs that require no experience, no degree?

Any examples of that evil intent by people who continue to work after they are rich? Seems to me most wealthy people continue trying to accumulate wealth long after they have "enough".

Old 11-23-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Amazon's trying to kill UPS, one of the last blue collar, union jobs a person can get with only a HS diploma & still buy a home, a car, send your kids to college & maybe take a vacation once a year. UPS drivers make $36 p/h + full medical/dental/life, paid vacations & pension. Amazon pays $5-$11 net with no benefits of any kind. Not hard to see how Amazon's got a bit of an advantage is it?

This is the new corporate America. Replace good paying, full time, blue collar, career jobs, with low paying, part time, short term jobs. I shake my head when I hear the millennials defend Amazon do ardently. Amazon is nothing more than a younger Walmart.
I do agree there. That is not just Amazon though, the wave towards that began long before. Uber, Takl, Thumbtack, all of them are taking us toward a new economy where benefits and full time work are a thing of the past and you just piece together what you can. Somehow in the last 20 years, people not only stopped caring about unions, they cheered their demise (great brain-washing by the corporate powers that be). When Hostess closed and laid off union employees and then re-opened under new owners and hired them at half the salary, people on these boards were ecstatic about it, something I have never understood.

In another 5 years all those warehouse jobs will be done by robots though anyway, another 10 and the trucks will be self-driving and drones will deliver the packages.

Old 11-23-2018, 04:08 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,188,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post

I agree to an extent. UPS' leadership and Teamsters are trying to kill UPS' current pay scale and they damn near went on strike because of that rickety ass ratification of the vote. They'll eventually succeed with the hybrid drivers pay structure, force everybody who is worth a damn to quit or retire, and start a hiring blitz for lower paid drivers. The Teamsters stuck a dagger in the backs of many drivers.

Old 11-23-2018, 04:18 PM

34,015 posts, read 17,041,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
$5 mill more to his employees would be $8 each per year. They can get a quarter pounder with cheese combo, once a year, using that money.

Old 11-23-2018, 04:20 PM

5,895 posts, read 3,896,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
$5 mill more to his employees would be $8 each per year. They can get a quarter pounder with cheese combo, once a year, using that money.
Isn't Bezos an open borders guy? I'm surprised you're praising him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment