Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 10:44 AM

1,074 posts, read 642,938 times

Advertisements

We are a work obsessed society (assuming everyone on here is in US), and it is extremely unhealthy- sitting is the new smoking-
But back to the point-
Yes, in my industry it is typically an unspoken rule to "work as much as the job requires". Years ago, I reported an incident related to that very thing, and it went nowhere. Further, my state is "right to fire" so had I not left of my own accord, I may have been let go anyway because I refused. Still do. Don't care. MY health and my kids are more important.

Like BeerGeek said, work so you can have a life, not the other way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 10:58 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,381,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recently laid off View Post
Has anyone here worked in a company where senior management required officially or unofficially that the professionals work a 60-80 hour work week?

I have friends and family who work for law firms that expect their staff to put in 12 hour days and expect some work on weekends too. It was part of the culture. If you did not like it, move on there were plenty of people who would take your place. Pay is good but no extra for any overtime hours.

Is the 60-80 hour workweek as common as it used to be? Tell us your stories of long hard work weeks.
Plenty of people who would take your place? Are they lining up around the block? No, I don't think so. Anyone who is stupid enough to fall for that line has to learn things the hard way. It's management's job to staff the resources properly.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:02 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,404,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recently laid off View Post
Has anyone here worked in a company where senior management required officially or unofficially that the professionals work a 60-80 hour work week?

I have friends and family who work for law firms that expect their staff to put in 12 hour days and expect some work on weekends too. It was part of the culture. If you did not like it, move on there were plenty of people who would take your place. Pay is good but no extra for any overtime hours.

Is the 60-80 hour workweek as common as it used to be? Tell us your stories of long hard work weeks.
Yes. In my field it's the norm. It's unheard of if you work less than that and it's frowned upon. I don't mind, they pay decent and it's fun work with some fun perks too!

Old 04-12-2019, 11:15 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,590,712 times
Been there done that. Don’t ever work for a startup unless you’re willing to do this (or more. Some weeks were literally 100 hours or more). Now I’m a state employee and do maybe 45ish. It’s fine when starting out but if you have kids it becomes impossible.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:17 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,084,830 times
60-80 hours/week regularly?? A lot of people fall for that crap in certain fields/companies. No thank you , unless I'm getting paid overtime or a significantly high salary. I was at 55-60 hours/week at my last job and left it for 40-45 hours in my current position. My free time is more important to me, and I don't just exist exclusively to make some company happy.

I could see it being tolerable in a job that I absolutely love, though.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
60-80 hours/week regularly?? A lot of people fall for that crap in certain fields/companies. No thank you , unless I'm getting paid overtime or a significantly high salary. I was at 55-60 hours/week at my last job and left it for 40-45 hours in my current position. My free time is more important to me, and I don't just exist exclusively to make some company happy.

I could see it being tolerable in a job that I absolutely love, though.
This is my situation so I don't care. It's something to do, lol and it's money and my co-workers are great, we laugh a lot here.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:19 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,080,186 times
One time my employer changed my hours to 60 hours a week, and since it was a very physical job, it was very tiring and do not like working more than 45 hours a week, max. He was breaking the labor laws cause where I live, you don't have to legally go over 44 a week in that type of job.

But when I made a complaint about the labor laws being broken, he threatened to fire me unless I kept coming in and not pursue that course of action further. I was going to pursue it further anyway, but the company happened to be bought out by another company and we went out of business anyway, so...

Old 04-12-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
We are a work obsessed society (assuming everyone on here is in US), and it is extremely unhealthy- sitting is the new smoking-
But back to the point-
Yes, in my industry it is typically an unspoken rule to "work as much as the job requires". Years ago, I reported an incident related to that very thing, and it went nowhere. Further, my state is "right to fire" so had I not left of my own accord, I may have been let go anyway because I refused. Still do. Don't care. MY health and my kids are more important.

Like BeerGeek said, work so you can have a life, not the other way around.
It's worse in Japan. Karoshi, google it. People are killing themselves because of work.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:28 AM

35,121 posts, read 31,403,664 times
I work in IT. We do have a weekend on-call and very occasional weekend work for my role. Other roles are much more demanding. I'm not going to voluntarily work a role like that. If I was placed in such a role, I'd be looking for other work aggressively.

What I do isn't saving life or property. It's essentially back-office IT work. I have interests and hobbies outside of work. Work is to fund those things and a retirement.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:00 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,999,404 times
Any company that requires consistent weekly hours like those is completely dysfunctional IMO and probably has all kinds of problems with turnover and being short staffed. In the end they will probably go out of business

Unless you’re a doctor saving lives, I see no reason to work like that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment