Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2011, 08:27 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times

Advertisements

Most Patriotic and Generally very Patriotic:

USA
France
United Kingdom/England
China
Thailand
Singapore
South Korea
Taiwan
India
Canada
Australia
Israel
Brazil
Russia

Least Patriotic and Generally a lack of Patriotism for their country:

Most African countries (Such as Mali, Chad, Niger, Somalia, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Congo)
Guyana
Venezuela
Paraguay
Ukraine
Moldova
Belarus
Lithuania
Latvia
Kazakhstan
Armenia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 08:46 AM

28 posts, read 316,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
Every country hates itself but just let a foreigner say something negative and the doo hits the fan big time.
It's kind of like when someone talks crap about your family, hey?

Old 12-27-2011, 10:46 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
I'd judge North Korea as the most patriotic at the moment, to a fault obviously.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:51 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I think you're right. It just looks largely nationalistic to me.

I love the World Cup, and I always find a few teams to support. But, yeah, I have no understanding of 'I must go crazy in nationalistic support for my home country' sentiment.

I also find it strange when people show their sympathies that 'the U.S.' lost in the World Cup. Just because I'm born in the U.S., doesn't mean I MUST live and die for the 'American Soccer team' above all the others.

The last World Cup, I was strongly rooting for the African teams. I really wanted an African team to do well while it was in South Africa.

Generally though, I support Japan, South Korea, and Brazil for the World Cups. Supporting the U.S. team is an afterthought, although I did get into watching DONOVAN play on the U.S. team last World Cup.
Football/Soccer is the biggest sport on a global scale - most countries in SA, Europe and Africa have it as their primary sport, as do South Korea - and that is probably why it is kind of like a national past-time for us, just like Baseball is for you.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:03 PM

24 posts, read 69,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
United Kingdom/England
Why did you mention England in particular? I'd say England was by far the least patriotic nation in the UK. Apart from maybe during the World Cup. The other 3 nations are smaller and often overlooked so people get very defensive of their countries (i.e. if you confuse them for English) and so the people there tend to have a closer affinity to their county's 'culture' as a whole. There's still regional pride within cities and counties, but for England as a nation on its own I wouldn't call it patriotic compared to the rest of the UK.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:17 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
One survey indeed named England as the least patriotic 'nation' in Europe, but another named France as the least patriotic.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:12 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
I would expect the English to be one of the most patriotic, considering the vast influence they've had/had. English is the world language, that's a pretty big achievement.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:52 AM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I think aside from the United States, the most patriotic countries honestly are hostiles nations like North Korea, Iran, Pakistan etc where people are radical about their country and religion and are willing to kill themselves wildly for it.

Now based ONLY on immigrants I've seen in the U.S., Russian immigrants tend to be the least proud of the old country. A few have told me that "there is nothing to be proud of being Russian" and some are embarassed to have lost the Cold War, though I believe Russians in Russia are probably quite patriotic. I never quite got this mentality since immigrants from Jamaica and El Salvador are alwayus showing their pride. And based on immigrants I see here, Mexicans are the most patriotic, always talking about how proud they are to be Mexican, waving Mexican flags and cheering for Mexico in sports even when they play against America, and they are also VERY proud of their language and many refuse to even learn English.
Remove USA from the border of Mexico, make Mexicans forget their hurting pride (since they are looked down upon by their Northern neighbors) and what will be left of Mexican patriotism I wonder?
Now in connection with Russia I'd make one interesting observation; back in Soviet times Russians used to be very patriotic, in many ways like right-wing Americans are. However when the ideas ( and ideals) of the Soviet times were gone, with them the patriotism went significantly down as well, giving place with time to nationalism instead. Hence my conclusion would be that it takes a bit more for people to be patriotic than just simply to be a representative of certain nationality. Apparently a nation has to stand for something, for certain ideas and that's what essentially makes people to be patriotic. That would explain why patriotism wakes up in every nation under the circumstances of upcoming war, colonial oppression or things like that.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:49 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
There seems to be a distinction being made between "patriotism" and "nationalism." What's the difference between patriotism and nationalism?

Is there one? Is nationalism just patriotism with cancer?

Am I patriotic if I wear a U.S. flag pin every day, but you are nationalistic if you put a Canadian (name your brand) flag sticker on your back pack?

If I thump my chest about the incomparable greatness of Geo. Washington or Ronald Reagan, but you blubber about Dear Leader, am I a patriot and you are a nationalist jackass?

Old 12-28-2011, 03:46 AM

276 posts, read 763,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I would expect the English to be one of the most patriotic, considering the vast influence they've had/had. English is the world language, that's a pretty big achievement.
Strangely enough, I often find English to be quite self deprecating about their country, but as somebody pointed out earlier, you are obviously not allowed to share the sentiment if you are foreigner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World