Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2011, 10:20 AM

174 posts, read 640,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVanNostrand View Post
I'd definitely say the US is one of the least patriotic countries, at least of the one's I've been to. You have to have traveled abroad to really experience it. That's not to say Americans don't love their country, but we wear it on our sleeves a heck of a lot less than Canadians and many Europeans.
I agree so much. While many Americans support their government, a huge portion also despises it. US would probly be the most patriotic during the 40s to 60s era.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 05:22 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
Are you kidding me? Here in the UK, the US is portrayed as an incredibly proud, with flags hanging from their windows, and the whole 'USA, USA, USA!' thing. Americans hate their government but they appear to be proud about their nations achievements. I mean, so many things are American - Google, Facebook, MySpace, YouTube, Yahoo, Coca Cola, Pepsi, Apple, Microsoft, NASA, Kraft, McDonalds, KFC, Subway, you name it, it's probably American.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:57 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,533,552 times
The Americans keep saying everywhere including all the forums in the internet how great nation USA is. You cant get more patriotic than an American. If you look "patriotic" in the dictionary, theres a photo of a random american.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:58 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,790 posts, read 4,156,664 times
Serbia is very patriotic. Those people have been through alot... ranging from 500 years of rule by Ottoman Turks, to the more recent 80+ days of NATO bombings, then sellout by the USA and NATO that took Kosovo (their holyland) from them. They and their Serbian Orthodox church have survived, and Serbs are *very* proud and patriotic. And no... I have no Serbian blood in me.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:11 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,385,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
The Americans keep saying everywhere including all the forums in the internet how great nation USA is. You cant get more patriotic than an American. If you look "patriotic" in the dictionary, theres a photo of a random american.
Random American LOL

Old 12-26-2011, 06:18 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,836,735 times
I don't think the United States is as patriotic as many people believe. A lot of people don't know the history of this nation and many of the laws that we all live under. There is a fair amount of people that agree that the US needs a more patriotic base. In fact, we have a very low voter turn out and many young Americans are apathetic towards our governmental system.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:20 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,385,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Are you kidding me? Here in the UK, the US is portrayed as an incredibly proud, with flags hanging from their windows, and the whole 'USA, USA, USA!' thing. Americans hate their government but they appear to be proud about their nations achievements. I mean, so many things are American - Google, Facebook, MySpace, YouTube, Yahoo, Coca Cola, Pepsi, Apple, Microsoft, NASA, Kraft, McDonalds, KFC, Subway, you name it, it's probably American.
That's true. I once had to guide and old German lady around town and she said she had not seen so many flags since she left Germany in 1936.

Here's some of the good stuff from America rather than McDonald's, Kraft Mac and Cheese, Coca-Cola:

William Faulkner, Ernest Hemmingway, Jackson Pollack, Samuel Barber, Jazz,

Food: Pies, American style venison, Beef Jerky, buffalo steaks, Chili (home-made), Golden Bantum corn.

Drinks: Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey.

Stay away from Spam, Three point beer, canned spagetti and Wheaties.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:22 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
If the US does not have a patriotic base then god help the UK.. we have to be the biggest self-loathing whiners on earth.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:23 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,836,735 times
Quote:
If the US does not have a patriotic base then god help the UK.. we have to be the biggest self-loathing whiners on earth.
No offense, but I have to agree.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:24 PM

209 posts, read 680,192 times
Quote:

All those things are taken for granted by Americans. Frankly, aside from using them, nobody really thinks about them being American born and made.

Very few Americans fly flags from their windows and the "USA, USA, USA!" fervor comes and goes with team success. Nobody would've cared about USA soccer during the last World Cup had they not been relatively successful.

That's not to say most Americans aren't proud of their country, but most are too self-absorbed and distracted to be truly patriotic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World