Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do Canadians sound like Americans?
No, I can tell the accents apart easily, regardless of the generation of speakers 72 24.16%
Older Canadians don't, but younger Canadians have that American twang 14 4.70%
They sound somewhat like Americans but not exactly 156 52.35%
Canadians of all ages sound like Americans to me 56 18.79%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 10:16 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,833,754 times

Advertisements

Not really, the accent seems different to me, but others may disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 10:22 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
Which is strange to me because I was born and raised in Cali--went to HS, going to college, partied, eat at every restaurant and to this day I believe I have meet a total of 1 Canadian in my life time. Where and how could someone pick something like that up. And don't say TV because I have a problem believing anything could have that kind of influence on anyone.
How do you know how many Canadians you've met before; do you ask everyone you meet their country of origin? Hollywood as an example is chock full of Canadians who are living and working down there. You could have easily had dinner with them at the same table and not noticed.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:25 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,218,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
How do you know how many Canadians you've met before; do you ask everyone you meet their country of origin? Hollywood as an example is chock full of Canadians who are living and working down there. You could have easily had dinner with them at the same table and not noticed.
Another post of his...

Old 03-21-2013, 06:15 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
Same Canadians could easily pass for Americans, most you can tell by a few words, and some really stand out as sounding distinctly different. The difference is definitely smaller than Australia and NZ, or say northern and southern US.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:49 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,778,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
One of the biggest changes recently in Canada has been the vocabulary people use becoming Americanized. For example, people now call sandals flip flops, whereas in the past they were always referred to as thongs. A derogatory term for an English-Canadian used by French-Canadians is "bloke", although English Canadians no longer actually this word in our language. Schedule is increasingly being pronounced the American way, rather than as shed-jul.
Well that's unfortunate. Do you think it is because of television or is it more a result of cultural cringe? I mean Canadians have been watching predominantly American TV since TV was first popular in the fifties, though then again people watch a lot more TV now than they did two generations ago.

I think television could indeed change vocabulary or the pronunciations of individual words but I'm pretty skeptical about claims that it could cause entire vowel or consonant shifts. For example I highly doubt that watching too much Jersey Shore or Baywatch is going to cause Australians to start speaking rhotically, though I have heard anecdotal claims that some Aussie teenagers do pronounce certain words rhotically now.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:00 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Another post of his...
And another one of yours......am I playing this game correctly?

Old 03-23-2013, 09:05 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Actually like most countries english accents vary form region to region even in US.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:51 AM

749 posts, read 2,455,843 times
Well the accents have never been vastly different since the founding of the continent - remember, it was the same people from the UK that split up into Canada and the US, it's not like they came from different countries aside from the French Canadians.

TV and media definitely have a huge influence on how you speak. Otherwise, how do you account for people in say Texas or New York having a neutral sounding accent? I know people that sound like newscasters even though they grew up around people with heavy Jewish or Italian New York accents. They sound more like someone from California than someone from New York - it's partially because of media influence growing up and hanging out with friends that also have a neutral accent. Sometimes it's also an urban vs suburban influence. Often people from the suburbs in any state sound fairly neutral, whereas in more of the urban pockets, they have heavier local accents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
Which is strange to me because I was born and raised in Cali--went to HS, going to college, partied, eat at every restaurant and to this day I believe I have meet a total of 1 Canadian in my life time. Where and how could someone pick something like that up. And don't say TV because I have a problem believing anything could have that kind of influence on anyone.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:55 AM

749 posts, read 2,455,843 times
You think Justin Bieber, Ryan Gosling and Pam Anderson have distinct accents? I can't hear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Not really, the accent seems different to me, but others may disagree.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:27 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,890,228 times
From first hand experience - I think this is very accurate! Those damn aboots!! There are some other key words that just SCREAM i'm not from here - I'm Canadian lol.. On a 'positive' note - they are often surprised that I spoke 'fluent' English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Same Canadians could easily pass for Americans, most you can tell by a few words, and some really stand out as sounding distinctly different. The difference is definitely smaller than Australia and NZ, or say northern and southern US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World