Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do Canadians sound like Americans?
No, I can tell the accents apart easily, regardless of the generation of speakers 72 24.16%
Older Canadians don't, but younger Canadians have that American twang 14 4.70%
They sound somewhat like Americans but not exactly 156 52.35%
Canadians of all ages sound like Americans to me 56 18.79%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 04:15 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,398,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
California.

Have you ever been to Canada?
No
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 08:24 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,242,675 times
Seth Rogen is from Vancouver and in the movie 'Knocked Up', he played a Canadian from Vancouver who was living illegally in LA and he spoke with his regular Canadian accent.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:16 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,119,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool85 View Post

And contrary to popular belief, most Canadians pronounce "about" the exact same way as Americans, nor do they really say "eh" that much. I am always in disbelief how media and film have created this myth that Canadians talk like Sarah Palin. These are the same people that think most Canadians live in igloos and gather maple syrup.
you are wrong.

Pronunciation of "About" is one of the key defining differences between US and Canadian accents, among various others as mentioned before. I find it interesting that Australians, Brits (except Scots), etc etc all pronounce "about" more similarly to Americans, than Canadians do.

Pronunciation aside, Canadians often have a different intonation/ speech style than many Americans. When making statements, Canadians often have a slight lilt (sounding like a question when it's a statement), whereas Americans almost always end with a down-note (making questions often sound like statements). This is one of the things my Canadian ex also noticed- Americans with the down-note intonation/ tempo. There is a little raise in Southern CA, but it's not to the same extent as in the Cdn accent.

These are things you don't really pay attention to, but others from different parts of the world do when they are exposed, and these comprise "differences in accents"

Last edited by f1000; 12-30-2013 at 12:24 AM..

Old 12-30-2013, 01:00 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,048,498 times
When I say about I pronounce it a-bow-t. Like the way one would say cow, sow, wow, out, flower or the bough of a tree.

Not aboot or aboat. Everyone I know here in western Canada pronounces it the same way as me.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:14 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,163,582 times
Canadian cousins like to sprinkle their conversations with "eh" like asking a question.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:34 AM

598 posts, read 956,274 times
My dad loves a show called Corner Gas, he has all the dvd's I think he identifies with the main characters grumpy old father because he's a grumpy old man too lol, and judging by that show I can definitely tell a difference between the Canadian accent and the American one.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:34 AM

3,625 posts, read 3,413,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
When I say about I pronounce it a-bow-t. Like the way one would say cow, sow, wow, out, flower or the bough of a tree.

Not aboot or aboat. Everyone I know here in western Canada pronounces it the same way as me.
One thing about American speech that I've noticed is that Americans spend a much longer time speaking this word. "A-BAOWT" is what many Americans say; Canadians don't spend so much time on the vowels, and cut out the short "a" after the consonantal "b." That does not make the Canadian word "a-BOOT" or "a-BOAT"; it just makes the word, "a-BOWT."

I'm always surprised at how Canadians manage in American media, often without Americans noticing. Lorne Greene, Jim Carrey, John Candy, Rick Moranis, Peter Jennings, Morley Safer, Fay Wray, Walter Pidgeon, Dan Aykroyd, Leslie Nielsen, Dave Thomas, Catherine O'Hara, Eugene Levy, Michael J. Fox, Christopher Plummer--all of these, and many others, are from Canada. Where are the complaints that Dan Aykroyd says "aboot," or that Lorne Greene spoke about the "hoose" on the Ponderosa?

Old 12-30-2013, 01:37 AM

781 posts, read 737,132 times
I'd say we sound aboot the same....

Old 12-30-2013, 01:52 AM

3,625 posts, read 3,413,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Canadian cousins like to sprinkle their conversations with "eh" like asking a question.
"Eh" is technically a tag question, much like the American "huh." A Canadian would never use "eh" with a question; "eh" ends a statement, and turns it into a question.

Correct usage:

"Cold day today, eh?": It's cold today; do you agree?
"Damn cops tagged me for speeding, eh?" I got caught speeding; can you believe it?
"Those Roughriders! Great game, eh?" I'm looking for a response. You might like the Roughriders, you might not, but I'm trying to start a conversation.

Incorrect usage:

"Eh" by itself. As a tag question, "eh" always tags on to a sentence.

"Do you think Politician X should be pushing Policy Y? Eh?" Just no. As before, "eh" is never used with a question. Correct usage: "I think [or 'I don't think'] Politician X should be pushing Policy Y, eh?" This invites a response.

"Do you think it's going to rain, eh?" No; see the above as regards questions and "eh." Correct usage: "I think it's going to rain, eh?" Again, this invites a response.

In short, "eh" turns a statement into a question, and invites a response.

Last edited by ChevySpoons; 12-30-2013 at 02:07 AM..

Old 12-30-2013, 06:02 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,293,195 times
i can very rarely tell the difference between a Canadian accent and an American one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World