Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ????
San Francisco 67 49.63%
Sydney 68 50.37%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 09:16 PM

592 posts, read 828,427 times

Advertisements

Here is a great flyover from Marin to San Francisco. Skin to about 4.20 and the last few minutes has some great skyline and waterfront footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQCVjLsqenY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 10:16 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augostoschmitt View Post
You're also from California, so it's easy to see which city you would pick. Biased? Heavily.
I find this extremely ironic since you're from Australia. LOL

Quote:
In terms of natural beauty, I do know one thing is for sure, Sydney trumps just about everywhere
San Francisco is one of the few exceptions then.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:46 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
San Francisco has more of an old-world vibe, but I prefer Sydney's geographic location. I've never been to either city though, so I couldn't possibly make an accurate comment or assumption regarding which one is better, although I do realise this forum would die a death if everyone took my approach.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:35 PM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,429 times
Sydney FTW.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:49 PM

131 posts, read 168,442 times
Cleanliness:Sydney

Friendly people:Sydney

Attractive people:Sydney

Atmosphere:Sydney

Open mindness:SF

Transport:SF

Multicultural:SF

Elegancy:SF

Party:SF

Culture (museums etc):SF

Cuisine:SF

Scenery: SF

History: SF

Shopping:SF

Weather: Sydney

Safety:Sydney

Affordability:SF

Hotels:SF

Architecture:SF

Movies:SF

Old 10-28-2014, 05:52 PM

2 posts, read 6,700 times
I lived in SF bay area for 10 years and have been living in Sydney for 3 years ( and I have also lived in Vienna, EU, for MANY years). In my UNBIASED opinion and as someone who actually has LIVED in these 2 places, unlike MOST who have commented, I find Sydney to be a FAR better city and Australia a far batter country to live in. I list my reasons:
1- Sydney has AWESOME world heritage mind blowing beaches.
2- Sydney's weather is FAR FAR FAR better than SF bay area in ANY season. At night, you can actually go without a top for like 9 months a year and not freeze to death sitting outdoors etc
3- Sydney's people are MUCH more friendly and genuine
4- Sydney's crowd are less dorky and are FAR MORE beautiful and stylish than bay area crowd, Yes it does matter, aesthetics is a big deal to many people.
5- You barely ever see homeless people in Sydney...I actually fear for my life during the day in parts of SF, something I have never felt anywhere in Australia
6- All school children are in gorgeous uniforms and LOOK LIKE students, unlike bay area or American schools kids who look like hookers, losers, etc , all showing their ugly bums and undies....plus they are OBESE and RUDE and FULL OF IT
7-Roads are horrible in bay area SF
8- Transportation is flawless in Sydney...in SF, it pretty much doesn't exist for 90% of people in the area. Taxis are also hard to find in bay area. I have lived in 3 different locations including fancy suburbs of Sydney and never had problem using public transport to go anywhere in Sydney
9- FOODDDDD in Sydney is FAR FAR FAR BETTER...including tax and tip of USA, Sydney's food is actually cheaper and MUCH HIGHER in quality, plus healthy choices are infinity and food just tastes GREAT in Sydney...of ANY cuisine I have tried, I was blown away
10- Did I mention coffee? Australia is a SERIOUS COFFEE country....much more serious than anywhere in EU or Italy....Aussies come to me and say, omg, we all switch to tea traveling in USA....that's smart, Americans don't even know what coffee really should taste like...tea is also garbage in USA....
11-Social services are AWSOME, health care is AWSOME....as a parent, I get so much benefit living in Australia is unbelievable...in US, parents get NOTHING...No one gets anything pretty much
12- Flora and Fauna of Australia is just something you have to see for yourself. I cannot put it in words. bay area is a joke as well in that comparison
13- To sum it up, Australia is THE PERFECT country, not only for humans, but also for animals, plants, you name it. It's just the little utopia on earth that is luckily so far away from the rest of the ****ed up world. I hope it stays that way.
14- In EVERY job I have checked, Australian salaries are about 20k-30k higher. Tax for middle income people isn't actually that much higher than it is in USA, including the benefits, American middle class lose BIG in comparison when it come to taxes....plus MINIMUM WAGE is $16. And Aussie dollar is usually higher than American $ or it's about the same....I LOVE it than I am served by beuatiful young Europeans who are paid at least $20 to work plus benefits, instead of poor illegal Mexicans who may or may not be paid faily....It makes me feel much less guilty actually

Old 10-28-2014, 10:00 PM

8 posts, read 17,019 times
California offers more opportunites, Silicon Valley, Hollywood, some world-class universities etc
But the US always have more problems than Australia.

Australia is better but more boring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Sydney seems great, but SF seems to be more vibrant and with more going on in general. It also seems quite a bit less isolated.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:35 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,839,875 times
neither one

thought Sydney is more diverse, way more diverse!!!

Old 10-29-2014, 03:35 PM

125 posts, read 163,450 times
I'd never live in Sydney. I could live in the Bay area, though.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:11 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times
Sydney is more beautiful looking than San Francisco. Better quality of life too.

San Francisco would have a better climate though - less prone to extreme heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World