Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 12:52 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,216,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Thank you for your kind words to my city. But im not a guy, im a girl. And what cali says is a TOTAL lie. He seems to hate Argentina for some reason, and seems obsessed with me, harrassing me in every world thread forum. I ve never said Buenos Aires was my favourite city in the world, quite the contrary, i criticize it A LOT, and have a very realistic posture with my city. I have been told by many people in city-data, to not be so hard on my city, even. My favourites cities in the world are in europe. And in USA. So, there, cali is just a troll, obsesssed with me, or both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 05:33 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
It is incredibly ironic! I also have found in my travels that homoeroticism is at its height in the M. Eastern countries i've visited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The ironic thing is this behaviour is perfectly acceptable among straight men in the Middle East, so if they were there no one would even know their sexuality.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:23 AM

28 posts, read 73,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
Same-sex marriage became legal in Belgium in 2003, two years after The Netherlands. Most people here don't really mind gay people marrying, although there is a bit more animosity when it comes to adoption by same-sex partners.

We do have homophobic violence, unfortunately. And, sad but true, nearly always it involves muslims attacking gay people walking in the street. Especially in Brussels, most gays will no longer walk hand in hand, as it is seen as provocative by lots of muslim men...
I think of this as a damn shame for Western Europe or ANY E.U. nation, mostly because Western Europe is not a traditionally Islamic society. So it annoys me that people will migrate to a country and bring really conservative beliefs with them and impose that on people who don't ascribe to the same notions.

I could see if I was in the Arab World holding hands with my dude, but if I'm using the friggin' EURO in the EUROZONE, please FALL BACK with the homophobia, or, at least, expect your views not to go unchallenged.

Last edited by stcml; 04-09-2013 at 07:49 AM..

Old 04-09-2013, 11:01 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
In 1980s and even 1990s, it was very common to see two men walked on the street "shoulder to shoulder" in China. If two men always stayed together, no one felt bizarre either.

However the "gay" thing has become known since then and few people do that any more, because they don't want to be called gay.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:45 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
The US scored #38 overall, tied with Mexico and Italy, but they point out that there is a lot of variation within the US; the best places (DC, Massachusetts, New York) score on a level equivalent to NL or France, while the worst ones (Alabama, North Carolina) are on a par with Poland and India.

What do you think? Does this list accurately reflect the climate towards gays in your country and/or state?
Yes, this is pretty accurate. In the U.S., the northeast states in general have the most liberal laws and attitudes with regards to homosexuals - on par with western Europe. And there's a dramatic difference between the northeast and the south especially in terms of the acceptance of homosexuals.

It's kind of ironic, I think, that same-sex marriage is legalized in the city of Washington, D.C. - the U.S. capital - but it is not legalized at the federal level in the U.S. as a whole.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:45 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Thank you for your kind words to my city. But im not a guy, im a girl. And what cali says is a TOTAL lie. He seems to hate Argentina for some reason, and seems obsessed with me, harrassing me in every world thread forum. I ve never said Buenos Aires was my favourite city in the world, quite the contrary, i criticize it A LOT, and have a very realistic posture with my city. I have been told by many people in city-data, to not be so hard on my city, even. My favourites cities in the world are in europe. And in USA. So, there, cali is just a troll, obsesssed with me, or both.
I think Buenos Aires will be one of my favourite cities in South America, along with Lima, Quito, Cusco, Recife, Salvador, Rio. Some people say it's just wannabe Europe but I think it has it's own unique identity.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:47 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
In 1980s and even 1990s, it was very common to see two men walked on the street "shoulder to shoulder" in China. If two men always stayed together, no one felt bizarre either.

However the "gay" thing has become known since then and few people do that any more, because they don't want to be called gay.
It's still fairly common to see men with their hands around each other's shoulders walking in China. In India they're more affectionate still.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:57 PM

75 posts, read 120,147 times
I am a gay man living in the Northern part of New York State and I am treated with dignity and respect here. I am very fond of my neighbours and I would just say that some parts of the US are great places to be gay!

Old 04-09-2013, 10:59 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,054,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
South Korea only 89th? K-Pop anyone?
Asian men in general often seem to appear more feminine to a westerner's point of view. This does not necessarily makes them gay, it's just their culture views masculinity differently.
And South Korea is actually still quite intolerant to gay people

Old 04-09-2013, 11:06 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,054,199 times
How is Japan at 64, right next to Kazakhstan. Kazakhstan is possibly one of the worst places to live if you're gay, while in Japan it's quite accepted in the bigger cities.
Brazil more gay friendly than the US? Interesting...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World