Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2013, 10:01 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Ghent, that reminds me, I want to see Bruges/Brugge as well.
It's lovely! But Ghent is too, and not as crowded with tourists. Lots of canals, charm, etc. I loved it. Will definitely return!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 10:04 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,810,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You'd be surprised at how many Americans watch BBC stuff! And PBS carries tons of BBC programming. It's very popular over here.

But yes, I am an Anglophile.
No doubt, but I mean British accents in general just aren't as much an everyday part of life for most Americans. Plus, most of our big cities are at least 30% born overseas, so hearing foreign accents is commonplace. In many American cities one generally only hears American accents. Here in inner western and central Melbourne in a typical day I'll hear different languages, Vietnamese, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Indonesian, Hindi, Tamil, Amharic, Somali, Italian, French, Spanish, German...plus all the various foreign accents. Go to Melbourne's CBD and non Australians outnumber Australians. It feels even more international than New York in some ways.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:18 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Are you trying to say that there is not such thing as "American accent"?
Correct, there is the New York accent, Boston accent, Chicago accent, Southern accent and everyone else has a Normal accent

Old 12-30-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It seems like long road trips are a bigger deal in the middle of the country. I've mainly heard people do cross-country road trips if they are moving or have some other reason to go long-term to the other coast. Otherwise it's just too much.
No my bad you are right.

Its popular for us folks from Middle America to road trip to one of the coast, Gulf, Atlantic, Pacific.

I assume people from the Northeast take road trips to the Carolinas and Florida

Old 12-30-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yep. The US seems a 'world unto itself'. It is geographically pretty isolated too. I've done the roadtrip from LA to Boston, next time over I plan to do a similar trip but across the central-northern instead of southern half of the country. Amazing country, definitely.
That's kind of how i used to see the US when i was young.

the USA was this huge place almost like its own World and each state was like a country.
Going outside of the country was like going to space.
Everybody has an obsession with France or Japan but they act like its a million miles away and that they can't survive there without learning perfect French or Japanese.

i know kind of an arrogant way to see things, i blame our weather stations for cutting out the temperatures for Canadian and Mexican cities.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...-17th-2009.jpg

Old 12-30-2013, 10:30 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Quote:
You'd be surprised at how many Americans watch BBC stuff! And PBS carries tons of BBC programming. It's very popular over here.

But yes, I am an Anglophile.
When I really want to see what happening in the world, I watch BBC World News.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
It's lovely! But Ghent is too, and not as crowded with tourists. Lots of canals, charm, etc. I loved it. Will definitely return!
Belgium I think is just one of those undiscovered destinations and perhaps that's a good thing. How can I not want to go to a country that has a capital with a food district called "The Stomach of Brussels"?

Old 12-30-2013, 10:32 PM

613 posts, read 1,169,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
In many American cities one generally only hears American accents.
That's true, but are Australians really more used to hearing foreign accents on average than Americans, if you compare the average citizen of each country and not just the city slickers?

As to the foreign born population, there are plenty of places in the US where there is more than a 30% share of those born overseas. Miami's is among the largest in the world, at half or more foreign born. NYC, LA, San Francisco and perhaps a few others I can't recall all fit the bill too (Chicago was surprisingly lower than I expected though). New York City is supposed to be the most linguistically diverse city in the world.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:34 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,810,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
That's true, but are Australians really more used to hearing foreign accents on average than Americans, if you compare the average citizen of each country and not just the city slickers?

As to the foreign born population, there are plenty of places in the US where there is more than a 30% share of those born overseas. Miami's is among the largest in the world, at half or more foreign born. NYC, LA, San Francisco and perhaps a few others I can't recall all fit the bill too. New York City is supposed to be the most linguistically diverse city in the world.
Most definitely. Most Australians live in the 5 main metropolitan areas: Sydney-Wollongong, Melbourne, Brisbane-Gold Coast, Perth, Adelaide. All of these cities are at least 30% overseas born, comparable to NYC, LA, SF. So most Australians are used to seeing a lot of immigrants/hearing a lot of accents.etc. In contrast, American has dozens of big cities and tens of millions of people who seldom hear other accents IRL.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
That's kind of how i used to see the US when i was young.

the USA was this huge place almost like its own World and each state was like a country.
Going outside of the country was like going to space.
Everybody has an obsession with France or Japan but they act like its a million miles away and that they can't survive there without learning perfect French or Japanese.

i know kind of an arrogant way to see things, i blame our weather stations for cutting out the temperatures for Canadian and Mexican cities.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...-17th-2009.jpg
Good points. One of the stations in San Diego gives the temps for Tijuana. One used to also give it for Ensenada but generally, it's like the neighboring countries aren't there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World