Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2013, 10:36 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,810,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
That's kind of how i used to see the US when i was young.

the USA was this huge place almost like its own World and each state was like a country.
Going outside of the country was like going to space.
Everybody has an obsession with France or Japan but they act like its a million miles away and that they can't survive there without learning perfect French or Japanese.

i know kind of an arrogant way to see things, i blame our weather stations for cutting out the temperatures for Canadian and Mexican cities.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...-17th-2009.jpg
Funny you say that, because as a child I had a fascinating with the US. It seemed like 'TV land' a parallel Universe, and going there was as unbelievable as going to Mars. Americans find that silly, but they don't realise how their country is mythologised to outsiders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 10:37 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
That's true, but are Australians really more used to hearing foreign accents on average than Americans, if you compare the average citizen of each country and not just the city slickers?

As to the foreign born population, there are plenty of places in the US where there is more than a 30% share of those born overseas. Miami's is among the largest in the world, at half or more foreign born. NYC, LA, San Francisco and perhaps a few others I can't recall all fit the bill too (Chicago was surprisingly lower than I expected though). New York City is supposed to be the most linguistically diverse city in the world.
Sit on a park bench in San Francisco and listen to people walk by. You will hear Cantonese, Spanish, Russian and many others.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:38 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
No my bad you are right.

Its popular for us folks from Middle America to road trip to one of the coast, Gulf, Atlantic, Pacific.

I assume people from the Northeast take road trips to the Carolinas and Florida
Carolinas is popular for some [for college kids, spring break, even winter break if desperate for warmer weather]. Florida most would rather fly.

I thought of roadtrips being a Middle America thing more from doing a roadtrip in the Midwest/Great Plains once and seeing highway signs for roadside attractions in a way they wouldn't back home. Distances seemed so big out there...

Old 12-30-2013, 10:41 PM

613 posts, read 1,169,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Most definitely. Most Australians live in the 5 main metropolitan areas: Sydney-Wollongong, Melbourne, Brisbane-Gold Coast, Perth, Adelaide. All of these cities are at least 30% overseas born, comparable to NYC, LA, SF. So most Australians are used to seeing a lot of immigrants/hearing a lot of accents.etc. In contrast, American has dozens of big cities and tens of millions of people who seldom hear other accents IRL.
Here's a thread I found elsewhere on foreign born populations in US cities. Still a sizeable number of cities with say 20-30% foreign born like Houston, Boston, Dallas etc. though in terms of language diversity a lot of that might be Spanish.

Foreign born populations of US Cities - SkyscraperCity

Old 12-30-2013, 10:45 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Carolinas is popular for some [for college kids, spring break, even winter break if desperate for warmer weather]. Florida most would rather fly.

I thought of roadtrips being a Middle America thing more from doing a roadtrip in the Midwest/Great Plains once and seeing highway signs for roadside attractions in a way they wouldn't back home. Distances seemed so big out there...
Yea we can get pretty bored out here so we are forced to drive pretty far to find something fun to do...

Old 12-30-2013, 10:47 PM

613 posts, read 1,169,790 times
On the topic of being used to foreign accents, I noticed that California, along with the entire countries of Australia and Canada seem to have some parallels in having many recent foreign born arrivals in their cities, with some of this diversity extending into their suburbs.

Somehow, these places have a "newer immigrant" character to them compared to the East coast.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:49 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Sit on a park bench in San Francisco and listen to people walk by. You will hear Cantonese, Spanish, Russian and many others.
Yup.... probably lots of international tourist as well

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...-explorer.html

Old 12-30-2013, 10:51 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,810,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
Here's a thread I found elsewhere on foreign born populations in US cities. Still a sizeable number of cities with say 20-30% foreign born like Houston, Boston, Dallas etc. though in terms of language diversity a lot of that might be Spanish.

Foreign born populations of US Cities - SkyscraperCity
Yes but we're talking MOST Americans vs MOST Americans, right?

Well FAR MORE Australians as a percentage live in our 5 biggest metros than in America's 5 biggest metros.

For instance:

Sydney: 4.6 million
Melbourne: 4.2 million
Brisbane: 2.1 million
Perth: 1.8 million
Adelaide: 1.2 million

That's already 13.9 million out of 22 million.

In comparison: (metros here, does houston's 6 million METRO have 20-30% foreign born)?

New York: 21 million
LA: 13 million
SF Bay Area: 7 million
Miami: 5 million

These are the only large cities with over 30% born.

46 out of 340 million

Plus nearly 30% of Australia's are now born overseas (up from 23% in 2006), compared to 12-13% in the US. Australia's population is clearly the more international, and less insulated/isolated.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:54 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Quote:
Yup.... probably lots of international tourist as well

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...-explorer.html
Yep, there are a lot of both. those three language communities have resident populations too.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:05 AM

284 posts, read 641,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Funny you say that, because as a child I had a fascinating with the US. It seemed like 'TV land' a parallel Universe, and going there was as unbelievable as going to Mars. Americans find that silly, but they don't realise how their country is mythologised to outsiders.
lmfaoo really ??
how the heck does the media portray USA over there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World