Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 07:38 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yee haw!
I would say something about that but outside the big cities in Southern California, it's the same way LOL. Actually, in San Diego, the most popular nightclub is a country bar, "Incahoots" LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 08:27 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,890,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
this is believed by many Americans because the thought that this country could ever do harm to innocent people isn't something a lot of people here could stomach. The American propaganda machine is the most successful the world has ever known. We are told that "They hate us for our freedom". Despite how utterly idiotic that sounds, many people believe it without questioning it.
Well I'm glad to see that there are many Americans who see this! I hope those like you prevail and start having a greater hand in American foreign policy... I think it'll be better for us all! I think Obama has been a lot more successful in FP than his predecessor..

Old 12-31-2013, 08:58 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,808,250 times
Quote:
I see. But Aussies and Brits will still travel alone despite this. Americans are generally terrified to do ANYTHING alone unless it's a business trip or something. If I told someone that I was going to fly into Berlin tomorrow, the first thing they would ask is "who's going with you?" If my answer is "just me" they would say, "you're going by yourself?!?!?" "Aren't you afraid of being alone if something happens?" This is why you always see Americans travel in groups. Personally, I hate going places in groups. it takes away from the experience and not everyone's desires can be accommodated. At the most, I would take one other close friend.
True. But of course like anywhere there are many here who would never travel alone. Yeah I don't like travelling in groups, although small-group tours aren't so bad as the itinerary is pre-arranged, for the most part (although there's room for flexibility). We know what we're going to see, and we have a tour group leader to show us places and keep everything under control. Didn't experience any major personal problems travelling as such. Still, I like travelling alone, or maybe with one friend who has the same general interests.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:09 PM

613 posts, read 1,169,615 times
Quote:
I see. But Aussies and Brits will still travel alone despite this. Americans are generally terrified to do ANYTHING alone unless it's a business trip or something. If I told someone that I was going to fly into Berlin tomorrow, the first thing they would ask is "who's going with you?" If my answer is "just me" they would say, "you're going by yourself?!?!?" "Aren't you afraid of being alone if something happens?" This is why you always see Americans travel in groups. Personally, I hate going places in groups. it takes away from the experience and not everyone's desires can be accommodated. At the most, I would take one other close friend.
Americans less brave in independent travel even compared to other western countries sounds somewhat ironic in light of the notion that Americans are supposedly the most independent or individualistic nationality, with the DIY attitude that no one else can match. But I suppose stereotypes don't always pan out the way you think they do when push comes to shove.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:23 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,808,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
Americans less brave in independent travel even compared to other western countries sounds somewhat ironic in light of the notion that Americans are supposedly the most independent or individualistic nationality, with the DIY attitude that no one else can match. But I suppose stereotypes don't always pan out the way you think they do when push comes to shove.
That's true, but I get the impression that America is a super-conformist society too. Bullying of people who don't fit in seemed rife in the past, maybe a bit better now, and there are unspoken rules about what people should do according to their role. Plus Americans all sort of sound the same in a way, at least it's getting that way. The Hollywood/Midwestern accent, intonation, slang...uptalk, saying 'dude' a lot, just seem to be everywhere. Plus there's a homogeneity and insularity of the culture because Americans don't mix with outsiders as much. To many Americans America is the world, because they're a large, geographically isolated and powerful nation, wedged between two oceans.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:35 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 933,273 times
I say the majority of the TSA are those types of Americans!

I always go through some kind of secondary inspection when coming back home from overseas. They make me feel guilty for daring to go out there alone in the "Big Bad Freedom Hating World" !

Old 12-31-2013, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
True. But of course like anywhere there are many here who would never travel alone. Yeah I don't like travelling in groups, although small-group tours aren't so bad as the itinerary is pre-arranged, for the most part (although there's room for flexibility). We know what we're going to see, and we have a tour group leader to show us places and keep everything under control. Didn't experience any major personal problems travelling as such. Still, I like travelling alone, or maybe with one friend who has the same general interests.
Yeah I would not want to travel as a group and especially not with my family. Family gatherings are enough screw traveling with them LOL

Old 12-31-2013, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
Within familiar surroundings and circumstances, Americans are pretty independent. Where most Americans fall short is breaking through boundaries and exploring uncharted territory. Americans like familiarity and if there is a time to try something new, they would rather have company. "Change" an "switch" are two things Americans don't like much of.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
That's true, but I get the impression that America is a super-conformist society too. Bullying of people who don't fit in seemed rife in the past, maybe a bit better now, and there are unspoken rules about what people should do according to their role. Plus Americans all sort of sound the same in a way, at least it's getting that way. The Hollywood/Midwestern accent, intonation, slang...uptalk, saying 'dude' a lot, just seem to be everywhere. Plus there's a homogeneity and insularity of the culture because Americans don't mix with outsiders as much. To many Americans America is the world, because they're a large, geographically isolated and powerful nation, wedged between two oceans.
There is truth here as well. Even our cities are starting to lose their individual character. Buildings are looking the same, chain stores are now dominant. Suburbs have become even more generic than before. Even most new residences are now part of HOA's and look pretty much the same.

What people should do according to their predetermined role? Some reading this may slam me for this but it will prove that I will touch a nerve. Yes, we are like that in many ways. Of all the things mentioned, this is the one that really drives me crazy. As a Black male, I'm expected to talk a certain way, listen to certain types of music etc. Some will deny it but they are living under a rock if they do. I march to the beat of my own drum so for most people I know, I am weird. Whatever, I do what I want. Just today I had yet another one of those tiring conversations about me not wanting kids because "everyone wants kids". I like the freedom of bouncing around when I want. That's not common here.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:30 AM

5,899 posts, read 5,797,744 times
A six-pack of beer:

Having the American flag on our clothes:

Our attitude:

And our accents, for many of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World