Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2013, 12:57 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
Here's a thread I found elsewhere on foreign born populations in US cities. Still a sizeable number of cities with say 20-30% foreign born like Houston, Boston, Dallas etc. though in terms of language diversity a lot of that might be Spanish.

Foreign born populations of US Cities - SkyscraperCity
America measures cities differently. I'm talking metros, here. If I included the inner area of 1 million in Sydney and Melbourne both would be close to 50% born overseas.

Anyway, Australians are more familiar with foreign accents was my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 06:33 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
No doubt, but I mean British accents in general just aren't as much an everyday part of life for most Americans. Plus, most of our big cities are at least 30% born overseas, so hearing foreign accents is commonplace. In many American cities one generally only hears American accents. Here in inner western and central Melbourne in a typical day I'll hear different languages, Vietnamese, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Indonesian, Hindi, Tamil, Amharic, Somali, Italian, French, Spanish, German...plus all the various foreign accents. Go to Melbourne's CBD and non Australians outnumber Australians. It feels even more international than New York in some ways.
Yes, I do know what you mean - sounds like Houston.

And I am not kidding.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
When I really want to see what happening in the world, I watch BBC World News.
Right on. It's also one of my favorite XM/Sirius stations. Great news coverage from what seems to be an unbiased source.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:57 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right on. It's also one of my favorite XM/Sirius stations. Great news coverage from what seems to be an unbiased source.
It's good for the most part, other than coverage on Israel, where it slants heavily towards the Palestinians. I'm not fond of either the Israel or Palestine, but they're as far up Palestine's hole as Fox is up Israel's.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:05 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
It's good for the most part, other than coverage on Israel, where it slants heavily towards the Palestinians. I'm not fond of either the Israel or Palestine, but they're as far up Palestine's hole as Fox is up Israel's.
I disagree with this. I can see where it seems this way when we're getting a source that isn't propping up Israel because they are a close ally. Most American news sources heavily favor Israel and that's what the average American is very used to hearing. We never EVER hear the negative side of Israel and there is one.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
I disagree with this. I can see where it seems this way when we're getting a source that isn't propping up Israel because they are a close ally. Most American news sources heavily favor Israel and that's what the average American is very used to hearing. We never EVER hear the negative side of Israel and there is one.
I think that in general the BBC is too lenient toward the Palestinian cause, but I think that US news sources are too lenient as far as Israel goes, so I listen to both and figure that the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Actually as far as a balanced view of the Middle East, I like Thomas Friedman's take on things most of the time.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
There most certainly is a negative side too Israel, and that's why I said I don't really support either. I don't agree with the ease with which Israel commits extrajudicial assassinations, nor do I agree with the level of damage that is incurred with each incursion and the civilian suffering that results. Israel also needs to stop the spread settlements in Palestinian land, which is illegal needless antagonizaton.

I also fail to see how launching rockets, crude as they may be, is an act of "protest." I support their statehood, but they need to take any stated goals to eradicate Israel from any proposed national charter, and walk away from any claims to land inside of Israel. They need to stand behind leaders who actually have Palestine's best interest at heart, rather than the agenda of a political party who is willing to use intra-sectarian violence against their fellow Palestinians to achieve their means.

But, this is a whole 'nother discussion that's deviating from the original point of the thread

Old 12-31-2013, 10:33 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Speaking of the Middle East, are Americans, Britons and Australians particularly targeted in countries like Jordan, Egypt, Iran.etc because of their involvement in the Afghanistan and Iraq wars?

Old 12-31-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Speaking of the Middle East, are Americans, Britons and Australians particularly targeted in countries like Jordan, Egypt, Iran.etc because of their involvement in the Afghanistan and Iraq wars?
Americans get detained in Iran with some frequency, though perhaps under their new, more moderate leadership, this will change.

As far as Egypt and Jordan, I've known many people who have traveled to Egypt on vacation or to Jordan for business and haven't heard any tales of woe.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:31 AM

Sort of funny and very true story from my husband's travels.

He was actually working in Saudi Arabia on 9/11. Of course, at the hotel, everyone was standing around in the bar and restaurant and lobby area staring in horror at the TV screens, like much of the rest of the world. No one was "cheering in the streets" that he could see. But he did feel pretty conspicuous as one of the few Americans at that particular hotel.

He noticed that a group of Saudi business men were huddled in a corner, whispering and looking in his direction, which made him a little uncomfortable. Just as he was about to ask them what they were saying, one of them detached from the group and came over and said, "I take it you're an American?" "Yes," my husband replied. "Well, my friends and I would like to offer our condolences to you and your country for these vicious attacks, and we want to assure you that we are certain that no Saudis could be involved in this." This sort of surprised my husband and he said, "Well, thank you - but why do you say that no Saudis could be involved? I mean, there's pretty compelling evidence that Saudis WERE involved, though of course I don't blame the Saudi people in general." The man looked alarmed and began vehemently protesting, "No, no, no - no Saudis would do this! It's a horror, it's a great sin - no Saudis were involved, I assure you! But my friends and I, who are somewhat involved in politics, have a hypothesis." "What's that?" my husband asked, curious at this point.

The guy said, in a totally serious voice, very low and leaning in toward my husband, "We think it was the Russians."

OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World