Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most disappointing city to visit
Los Angeles 28 22.05%
New York City 16 12.60%
Washington DC 7 5.51%
Chicago 6 4.72%
Miami 16 12.60%
Philadelphia 14 11.02%
Boston 2 1.57%
Seattle 17 13.39%
New Orleans 12 9.45%
San Francisco 9 7.09%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 11:31 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,805,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
He didn't say that. All of those have worse neighborhoods than anything in the Netherlands, which is his point of comparison.
You are mistaken.
He said several times Atlanta is like Detroit and Flint which it is nothing like that.

He never made any mention of The Netherlands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 11:52 AM

2,918 posts, read 5,609,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
The fact that development never seem to end is not in contradiction with the fact that L.A feels like a massive, mostly uninteresting suburb
And I don't know why you're talking about trees, but if you put trees on every parking lot in L.A it would be I think the greenest city on Earth
So many unnecessary parking lots everywhere even in Downtown no wonder the city is so big
Unnecessary parking lots? Have you ever tried parking in LA?

Old 12-06-2014, 11:52 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,805,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Atlanta has slums just like Detroit or Flint: example. It would be impressive if you could rid of the slums, I don't care about the number of international headquarters or millionaires living there. Detroit also has some international headquarters despite many areas resembling a war zone.
There is not nearly as much urban decay in Las Vegas.
New Orleans went through anarchy after Katrina happened. Like people defending their houses with machine guns. There is lots of urban decay and slums out there and it has horrible crime rates, even the tourist areas are getting dangerous.

There are other cities just as bad like Miami, lots of ghetto's and urban decay: example.
Did you REALLY look at the video you posted a link to?Many of these house were under construction or being renovated
This is why you have to visit a place to understand the scope of what you see in pictures.There are several things wrong with that video you posted:

1)Its NOT Vine City.That English Avenue and several different neighbhoods and streets. and English AVEworst neighborhood in Atlanta and it is adjacent to Vine City.
I know this because I lived there for 9 years and owned rental properties in Vine City.
The city has steepped up efforts to razed many of the properties and I know for a fact some of those places in that video are not there anymore.

2)Much of what you showed is snippets from more that one neighborhood.
Anyone will tell you that in Atlanta you can be in the hood and within few minuties you are in a nice area.It can change street by street.

3)There is urban renewal happening all over the city including the pooerer areas.Unlike Detroit or Flint there is very little at best.
If you have ever been to Detroit or Flint you would see just consecutive blocks of just empty burned out houses with no people around.Just vacant except crackhead,prositutues and drug dealers.
That video you showed is from different communities on one side of town.Its not "downtown".

In Detroit is not just neighborhoods decaying,its parts of the core that is pervasive.

What is hard to see from the video is that many of those boarded up house are NEW or renovated properties but because it is a high crime area,they get vandalized amd loooted.I know this becaue I bought a new house and when I moved out before selling it,I boaded it up.

So you can post videos and look at Google maps all day but unless you have been to these places you have no idea.
Your argument was that Atlanta has as much as other cities you mentioned
Ridiculous and obvious you have never been
ts so misleading and just wrong.

Last edited by afonega1; 12-06-2014 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: I

Old 12-06-2014, 12:16 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
Unnecessary parking lots? Have you ever tried parking in LA?
No, but it seems odd to have lots of surface parking lots in or near downtown. San Francisco doesn't have many. NYC has less.

Old 12-06-2014, 02:33 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,398,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
No, but it seems odd to have lots of surface parking lots in or near downtown. San Francisco doesn't have many. NYC has less.
And San Francisco is an absolute nightmare to park in! It's the main reason that BART has over 450,000 riders a day as that's how a lot of people prefer to commute into the city. They park their cars at the BART stations and ride. San Francisco also does not have the space for parking lots. There are parking garage structures though and if you don't mind blowing your kid's college funds to park there after drying up your savings on bridge tolls (another thing LA doesn't have to deal with) then have at it.

Old 12-06-2014, 03:44 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,952,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
Los Angeles obviously
First impression where you get there : where's the city ?
Not much to see, only a few spots here and there (hollywood, santa monica, venice beach, beverly hills)
Cool vibe but at the end of the day visiting L.A is like visiting a collection of very small villages surrounded by suburban wasteland. The city is huge but it has less to offer to the tourist than one single arrondissement of Paris
Agree 100%.

Old 12-06-2014, 03:54 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
And San Francisco is an absolute nightmare to park in! It's the main reason that BART has over 450,000 riders a day as that's how a lot of people prefer to commute into the city. They park their cars at the BART stations and ride. San Francisco also does not have the space for parking lots. There are parking garage structures though and if you don't mind blowing your kid's college funds to park there after drying up your savings on bridge tolls (another thing LA doesn't have to deal with) then have at it.
True, but why would expect a center city to easy to park in? Makes it feel rather vacant if there's parking everywhere. I actually notice some surprisingly cheap parking in San Francisco near downtown though. From an international perspective, easy parking in the center city and having surface lots is rather unusual. San Francisco would seem much more "normal" to most visitors than Los Angeles in that respect.

Last edited by nei; 12-06-2014 at 04:40 PM..

Old 12-06-2014, 04:26 PM

49 posts, read 84,899 times
How on earth can New York or New Orleans dissapoint anyone? The only thing NY has going against it is that it gets absolutely frigid in the winter. Other then that what's not to like about it?

Old 12-06-2014, 04:28 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,887,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I think your criteria is perhaps more personal and unique to you and perhaps a few others. Think about it for a second; who travels a distance to see a place for it's decay?
Come on Gentoo lol.... Have you enjoyed some of the city's impressive museums? Sure it has decay but it does offer some fine institutions for a visitor. The Henry Ford alone is worth a trip for some important pieces linked to some of the most infamous events in U.S history. I wouldn't fly across the atlantic or pacific to visit but its certain worth a trip combined with another few cities for a week road trip!

Old 12-06-2014, 05:22 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,398,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Come on Gentoo lol.... Have you enjoyed some of the city's impressive museums? Sure it has decay but it does offer some fine institutions for a visitor. The Henry Ford alone is worth a trip for some important pieces linked to some of the most infamous events in U.S history. I wouldn't fly across the atlantic or pacific to visit but its certain worth a trip combined with another few cities for a week road trip!
I give up. My brain won't let me do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World