Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2016, 04:05 AM

19 posts, read 18,105 times

Advertisements

I've met a few mexican migrants in the US and many speak Mayan, Nahuatl and other languages that are technically indigenous!!!

They speak spanish as sort of a lingua franca thing but to them spanish is a european language. (which it is)

Isn't it offensive to call them Hispanic? It's like calling an american black man or a native American an Anglo-saxxon just because they speak english!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 08:43 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,432,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irene-69 View Post
I've met a few mexican migrants in the US and many speak Mayan, Nahuatl and other languages that are technically indigenous!!!

They speak spanish as sort of a lingua franca thing but to them spanish is a european language. (which it is)

Isn't it offensive to call them Hispanic? It's like calling an american black man or a native American an Anglo-saxxon just because they speak english!
Correct. It is erroneous to tag everyone who's American Anglo-Saxon! Most likely less than 5% of Americans have the Anglo-Saxon phenotype anyway.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:03 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exas View Post
Most Americans are white, around 62% but most are not Anglo in heritage. The largest ethnic group is German!

America is VERY diverse

Plus that is NOT the point. The point is why is US diversity ignored outside the US.
That's debatable.

You could say that the largest non-Anglo Celtic ethnic group is German (perhaps it comes second after English/Irish/Scottish pack). I often hear that many Americans of the British isles ancestry just tick "American" on the box.

Heck, I usually hover on the Ethnic-Celeb (a website that tells you the ethnicity of celebs) and the Americans, 90% of the time, have English, Irish or Scottish ancestry. Rarely do I come across those with German heritage.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:15 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
That's debatable.

You could say that the largest non-Anglo Celtic ethnic group is German (perhaps it comes second after English/Irish/Scottish pack). I often hear that many Americans of the British isles ancestry just tick "American" on the box.

Heck, I usually hover on the Ethnic-Celeb (a website that tells you the ethnicity of celebs) and the Americans, 90% of the time, have English, Irish or Scottish ancestry. Rarely do I come across those with German heritage.
There are a lot of Americans with German heritage, but it's not emphasized. It became unfashionable to play up that part of your heritage in world war 1. After WW2, it became REALLY unfashionable. My guess is most of those British isles celebs have a bit of German in them too.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
There are a lot of Americans with German heritage, but it's not emphasized. It became unfashionable to play up that part of your heritage in world war 1. After WW2, it became REALLY unfashionable. My guess is most of those British isles celebs have a bit of German in them too.
Maybe. Well I would've thought that those with the British ancestry are not emphasized because it's a "boring" ethnicity. So the folks would just go with the more "exotic" ones like German, Swiss, Italian and the likes, when they probably don't have a lot of these ethnicities in them.

Germans in general would have British ancestry to some extent, and vice versa.

Old 06-10-2016, 02:47 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,107,664 times
I`m like Ethereal I have wandered onto the Ethnic Celebs site.( when I was off work for 4 weeks and had binged on GOT) They are very accurate down to exact % on ancestry. But a lot of Americans, ( Paul Walker, Chuck Norris and Brad Pitt have reduced it on interviews to include mainly Irish and Red Indian!) Since Obama came out he was half English in 2012 and since the Olympics in London, also since a lot of shows on PBS that show we are not all snobs or Cockneys ! , our standing and trendiness with all things British has risen a bit. To say we are less exotic than the Swiss is hard to take

Old 06-10-2016, 06:49 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Maybe. Well I would've thought that those with the British ancestry are not emphasized because it's a "boring" ethnicity. So the folks would just go with the more "exotic" ones like German, Swiss, Italian and the likes, when they probably don't have a lot of these ethnicities in them.

Germans in general would have British ancestry to some extent, and vice versa.

Boring! Boring!? In what way exactly?

Old 06-11-2016, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Boring! Boring!? In what way exactly?
Don't ask me that. That's not me saying it, hence the quotations marks.

I don't know, but Americans have a fascination with ethnic groups that are "non-English". So many of them jump in joy when they hear that they have Native blood or at least any ethnicity that isn't Irish, Scottish or English.

For instance, I knew a couple of Irish-Italian Americans, and they identified themselves more with their Italian side. Also, the Kardashians and Cher, who are half Armenian, they barely speak of their Anglo-Celtic side.

Old 06-11-2016, 04:16 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,107,664 times
I just can`t imagine Cher with a Geordie accent either

Old 06-11-2016, 04:24 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
I just can`t imagine Cher with a Geordie accent either
That would be Cher - yl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World