Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2016, 03:13 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,583,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Many Brythonic women are blonde-haired, stop fooling yourself!

Scottish people

Please post additional evidence...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 05:51 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,035,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karstic View Post
Was Anglosaxon once, "way back"... just as the Iberian peninsula was Roman, Visigothic and Muslim "way back".
Even if it was 'way back' (which arguably it wasn't as the Saxons are just one of many immigrant peoples over the years) it doesn't really have anything much to do with modern day Britain.

Old 12-04-2016, 03:54 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,981,093 times
Probably because the vast majority of government leaders and those on television i.e Hollywood are white/anglo type people. Before I myself visited the United States I had no awareness or expectations of the large Hispanic population that they have. There was never any mention of it.

Outside America, America is never depicted as anything other than a white country.

(to be fair there are a lot of Americans who do look British or Irish and could easily fit in, in the UK/Ireland. I think Caucasian Americans look more British than Mainland European from my observations anyway)

Old 12-04-2016, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philkirkham View Post
Attempting a reply though why bother replying to an anecdote of 'my friend says some people think...' but...

try watching a few US TV shows, sitcoms, movies - how many Hawaiian Islanders mixed with black Atlanta men characters do you see? And how many WASP characters? Then realize that most Europeans will get their view of the US from watching those shows and voila
+1. This is my experience as a British citizen and how the United States was depicted on the American television shows that I watched e.g. Nickelodeon as a child.

Old 12-04-2016, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exas View Post
Most Americans are white, around 62% but most are not Anglo in heritage. The largest ethnic group is German!

America is VERY diverse

Plus that is NOT the point. The point is why is US diversity ignored outside the US.
They don't look German though.

Old 12-04-2016, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete;44208051[B
]France and Britain (after 1800) were pretty much the only countries from where people didn't emigrate[/b]. Even in countries quickly becoming wealthy like Germany and Sweden people left, as they were caught in-between.
What?

The top ancestral groups are Ireland and Britain.

Finnish Americans only account for 600,000 Americans. A laughable number in a country of 300 million.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:31 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,795,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
Probably because the vast majority of government leaders and those on television i.e Hollywood are white/anglo type people. Before I myself visited the United States I had no awareness or expectations of the large Hispanic population that they have. There was never any mention of it.

Outside America, America is never depicted as anything other than a white country.

(to be fair there are a lot of Americans who do look British or Irish and could easily fit in, in the UK/Ireland. I think Caucasian Americans look more British than Mainland European from my observations anyway)
That's the media for you. They are the disappeared population on TV. And, they are not 'new' immigrants. On my father's side my great-grandparents migrated to Chicago and Denver from Mexico. On my mother's side, my grandfather came to work on railroads and even died in the US.

Its a disgrace when Los Angeles has Hispanic mayors and all other types of professionals, but, TV shows set in LA will NEVER show them.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:36 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,654,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
That's the media for you. They are the disappeared population on TV. And, they are not 'new' immigrants. On my father's side my great-grandparents migrated to Chicago and Denver from Mexico. On my mother's side, my grandfather came to work on railroads and even died in the US.

Its a disgrace when Los Angeles has Hispanic mayors and all other types of professionals, but, TV shows set in LA will NEVER show them.
To say nothing of several US cabinet secretary's including the current HUD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Castro

Old 12-04-2016, 12:53 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,435,681 times
Why americans believe brazilians don't look latinos?
Why americans believe latinos aren't white (or black)?

(I've heard fom many brazilians that they've been told that they "don't look brazilian", whatever it means, in Europe too. But also in USA.)

Old 12-04-2016, 07:28 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Please post additional evidence...
I second this motion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World