Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2016, 01:54 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,348,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
This is a bit of an exaggeration. California is more than coastal Southern California. There are still large areas of the state where whites are the most numerous.
This is all true. But movies tend to show LA/OC, and those areas don't have large white % anymore.

And this is putting aside the fact that there are huge Persian and Armenian populations (largest in the world outside of Persia and Armenia) that all count for white, that skew the figures (for example Glendale, CA is heavily "white", but good luck finding Glendale resident of European descent- it's mostly Armenian immigrants.)

And it's even more exaggerated for teen movies. Everyone is blond and named Becky and Chad, and drives a convertible. It's like Archie comics or something, rather than the real CA in 2016. In the real LA/OC, there are few natural blonds, and nonwhites generally dominate, except for a few enclaves.

I actually lived in one of these enclaves- Corona del Mar. Yeah, that town generally fits the stereotype, but set foot in the adjacent communities- Irvine, Santa Ana, Costa Mesa, and it's totally different. Costa Mesa is now called Costa Mexico. Very few white school-age children in those communities.

In OC, which is supposedly a white, conservative county, the only white-domianted areas are within a few miles of the coast. Almost everywhere else is heavily Asian or Hispanic, or getting there eventually (places like Yorba Linda). And Dems dominate the county. The conservative stereotype is at least 30 years out of date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 02:20 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
In OC, which is supposedly a white, conservative county, the only white-domianted areas are within a few miles of the coast. Almost everywhere else is heavily Asian or Hispanic, or getting there eventually (places like Yorba Linda). And Dems dominate the county. The conservative stereotype is at least 30 years out of date.
Orange County voted Republican last two presidential elections. Not by big margins, but considering it's less than half white non-hispanic, that's surprisingly conservative.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:23 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Are there that many pure bred Anglo Americans anywhere? I'm pretty close (maybe 75% England / Scotland / Wales / and Irish) but even I have quite a bit of German, Dutch, and French. It's not uncommon for Whites of colonial era ancestry to have trace amounts of Indian and African too. Britain itself has been diverse for centuries, they could be Celtic, Anglo/Saxon/Jute, Roman, French Norman, Viking, etc. Only the most remote parts of Wales and Ireland are mostly homogeneous.
Whites in New England in colonial times intermixed with Indians and African less so than most of the country. But after several centuries, it's hard to be 100% English, usually there's some other white ancestry mixed in.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:32 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,470,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exas View Post
I have a beautiful American friend from Hawaii. Her mother is an ethnic Hawaiian and her father is a Southern Black American male from Atlanta. She was born in Honolulu! (She's a US AMERICAN through and through!)

Well she now lives in Europe and for some reason many ignorant Europeans often tell her that she doesn't look American, that she looks like she comes from somewhere else! When she asks how do Americans look like their reply is.... Well like the British! (What could be more American than the mixture of a Hawaiian islander and an Atlanta black man?)

I do not know where Europeans got this silly idea from!

I also met Europeans who visit the US and are often shocked to see how diverse it is. Many go to Miami and are shocked to find out that the city resembles the UK in absolutely nothing, and it has so many similarities to the Caribbean islands and to South America in culture, history, food, etc. (they were expecting Liverpool by the caribbean perhaps!)

Many in fact are quite surprised to know that not all of the US was colonized by the British. It was only 13 states on the Atlantic coast, the rest belonged to France and to Spain!
This is a colonial map of the US

Hence places with French names like New Orleans, Detroit, Des Moines, Eau Claire, Baton Rouge, Saint Louis. Hence places with Spanish names like Los Angeles, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Texas, Florida, Nevada, Colorado.

But this is something that seems to escape most of the Europeans for some reason.

Alaska belonged to Russia by the way!
I met so many Europeans and Brits who often go to America and are shocked to see you can go to many cities and regions where you will hardly find a white-anglo person!

And this diversity does not come exclusively from immigration. Even before the US was a nation, it already had millions of African slaves, Indigenous Americans roaming free all over the land, the central part of the US was pretty much Francophone (Called New France at the time), and the pacific coast was part of Spain mostly populated by Spanish colonials and its colonees (mestizos).
Then came heavy immigration millions of Germans, Polish, Italians, Irish, Eastern Europeans, eventually millions of Chinese, Japanese, Mexicans etc. Making the US even MORE diverse than what it already was and even less Anglo than Europeans seem to think it is!

Americans of course are aware of their own country's mega diversity.... Americans know that in New Mexico they have a lot of Spanish heritage, and in Louisiana many people speak French and that in Montana you have tons of Native americans, and Atlanta has a lot of black people! But Europeans who often claim to know a lot about the world and the US are actually rather in the dark and expect the US to be a really Anglo nation with tons of similarities to Britain sort of like New Zealand is!

Why is it though?

It would be interesting to find out why!

Texas is NOT a Spanish word. Give some credit to the poor Native Americans, for Chrissakes!

Old 06-02-2016, 02:58 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Quote:
This is all true. But movies tend to show LA/OC, and those areas don't have large white % anymore.

And this is putting aside the fact that there are huge Persian and Armenian populations (largest in the world outside of Persia and Armenia) that all count for white, that skew the figures (for example Glendale, CA is heavily "white", but good luck finding Glendale resident of European descent- it's mostly Armenian immigrants.)

And it's even more exaggerated for teen movies. Everyone is blond and named Becky and Chad, and drives a convertible. It's like Archie comics or something, rather than the real CA in 2016. In the real LA/OC, there are few natural blonds, and nonwhites generally dominate, except for a few enclaves.

I actually lived in one of these enclaves- Corona del Mar. Yeah, that town generally fits the stereotype, but set foot in the adjacent communities- Irvine, Santa Ana, Costa Mesa, and it's totally different. Costa Mesa is now called Costa Mexico. Very few white school-age children in those communities.

Orange County still votes Republican, trust me, I live one county south of it. Everything else you have said is true. One of my past girlfriends was from the San Gabriel Valley. She was white but almost none of her friends were. Her family were very much minorities in the SGV. The only places that I could gather that still had some whites (not a majority) were West Covina and Glendora...that's about it. I mentioned that San Diego still has a non Hispanic White plurality, but that's the city proper. Chula Vista, the second largest city in the SD metro isn't called "Chula Juana" for nothing.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:14 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,348,051 times
Quote:
Orange County still votes Republican, trust me, I live one county south of it.
Yeah, OC still has a decent Republican voter block because A. People who vote tend to be older, and the older population in OC is mostly white and conservative and B. OC has the biggest Vietnamese population on earth outside of Vietnam, and they are solid Republican.

But OC is hardly a Republican stronghold. In the 1980's, the county was voting 75% Republican, now it's down to about 50% Republican.

It will be a Dem county going forward. The most prominent OC politican in Congress is Loretta Sanchez. She has a 0% approval rating from the American Conservative Union. She replaced "B1 Bob Dornan" one of the most conservative Congressmen in recent history. Basically one extreme to the other.
Quote:
Everything else you have said is true. One of my past girlfriends was from the San Gabriel Valley. She was white but almost none of her friends were. Her family were very much minorities in the SGV. The only places that I could gather that still had some whites (not a majority) were West Covina and Glendora...that's about it. I mentioned that San Diego still has a non Hispanic White plurality, but that's the city proper. Chula Vista, the second largest city in the SD metro isn't called "Chula Juana" for nothing.
Yeah, SD is definitely whiter than LA/OC/IE. There are a few inland white enclaves in LA/OC/IE, but they are fast turning more diverse. In 20 years, I think the only majority white areas will be near the coast.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:53 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Quote:
Yeah, SD is definitely whiter than LA/OC/IE. There are a few inland white enclaves in LA/OC/IE, but they are fast turning more diverse. In 20 years, I think the only majority white areas will be near the coast.
Inland areas of San Diego County are still pretty white as well but this too is changing albeit more slowly except in places like El Cajon where is happened quite quickly. Our coastal areas like Del mar, Coronado, Encinitas and Carlsbad will probably remain white.

OC is interesting. Right now, it's still one of only two CA coastal counties that votes red. The other being Del Norte County on the far northwest coast.

Old 06-02-2016, 04:08 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,600,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exas View Post
Americans on average are quite ignorant yes. The only difference is that Americans aren't generally into talking about politics, culture and social issues of countries they don't really know.
Hell yeah we are.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:28 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,793,991 times
American culture is a fine mix of European, African, and indigenous heritage. I believe most citizens have a little bit of all three.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:31 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,793,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Texas is NOT a Spanish word. Give some credit to the poor Native Americans, for Chrissakes!
Tejas is a Native American word, but I do believe the use of the letter X was of Spanish origin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World