Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2016, 07:46 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,726,557 times

Advertisements

FYI of the key founding fathers only one was not British, James Jay of Dutch-French Caribbean ancestry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 10:52 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baal200 View Post
In Spain everybody knows that Spanish is becoming increasingly dominant, to the point that many Spanish tourists visit New York, Miami and California without uttering a single English word. Spanish will become more important as right now is a pre-requisite for many jobs. I do believe that the US export Media products in Spanish, as there are many Spanish language tv. stations in that country.

I've seen Italian tourists speaking straight Italian to Spanish speakers without no problem whatsoever, also French.

Immigrants do not forget their cultural legacy anymore thanks to a higher education level and Internet.

I don't think that English will disappear from the US, it might remain as some sort of Latin for official texts.
I want to argue this with you but living in California, I really can't. I've said somewhere that many Spanish speaking people (and Cantonese in a few areas) can go through an entire day and not have to use English. There are newspapers, TV and radio stations in Spanish.

Old 05-29-2016, 11:01 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Wrong!

The fact is that the defacto American box on the census is what most British descended Americans select. Many don't bother to denote their British ancestry. There are also Ulster Scott descendants that claim to be irish-american when in fact they're not.
You claim "wrong" but then don't give any reason why the previous poster is "wrong".

Your comment about what people select on the Census box is irrelevant. The "American" category isn't the most common reported ethnicity, and you have no way of knowing their ethnicity anyways. Even if 100% of people who select "American" were Anglo Saxon, then you wouldn't have a point, because there are aren't enough people making such a selection.

Old 05-29-2016, 11:57 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Wrong!

The fact is that the defacto American box on the census is what most British descended Americans select. Many don't bother to denote their British ancestry. There are also Ulster Scott descendants that claim to be irish-american when in fact they're not.

Also finally Anglo-Saxon culture comes from Germany and Denmark and Anglo-Germanic people adopted the English language. Since there is this link the fact that English and not German is the official language and that the founding fathers were of predominant British ancestry, makes the US a largely Anglo society at its core and the Celtic cultures of both Ireland and Britain re-enforce this as they too adopted Anglo culture long before they set sail to the US.

Yes it's diverse but Hawaii wasn't even part of the US, it has a polynesian heritage. It's a periphery culture of the US. Compare the population of Hawaii to New England and the Virginias and Carolinas and you have your answer why the first thing that springs to your mind when you say US isn't Hawaii.

FYI: The same can be said about Americans thinking all Europeans are white. Seems like you only see the dirt in other people's laundry, time to take a good look at your own.
What are you basing this on? This post is all over the place but doesn't explain anything.

Old 05-29-2016, 12:28 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I want to argue this with you but living in California, I really can't. I've said somewhere that many Spanish speaking people (and Cantonese in a few areas) can go through an entire day and not have to use English. There are newspapers, TV and radio stations in Spanish.
Yes, this happens in border areas and in Miami. BUT, the ones who tend to not speak English are older immigrants. The kids all speak English and most also speak Spanish.

An interesting phenomenon in South San Diego though is that it is quite 'cool' to be fully bilingual/bi-cultural. If you can hang in both SD and Tijuana culture, you are the hippest. Lol

Last edited by rosa surf; 05-29-2016 at 12:40 PM..

Old 05-29-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Ummm no, that is simply not true. I have yet to see the media portray a cholo or a blood or crip wth blue eyes and blonde hair. LOL.
Even though there are quite a few White non-Hispanic cholos! True story: a White Anglo-Saxon chola tried to get me to join a gang in 7th grade. I tried for three weeks and quit, they all scared me. Lol

I found my place with surfers instead. Mexican surfers are super common in Southern CA., but you would never see that in a Hollywood movie. They can't get over their generic stereotypes...once in while they do, but it is very rare....

Old 05-30-2016, 07:39 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Even though there are quite a few White non-Hispanic cholos! True story: a White Anglo-Saxon chola tried to get me to join a gang in 7th grade. I tried for three weeks and quit, they all scared me. Lol

I found my place with surfers instead. Mexican surfers are super common in Southern CA., but you would never see that in a Hollywood movie. They can't get over their generic stereotypes...once in while they do, but it is very rare...
Much better scene to be involved in. I wish I had the opportunity to surf as a kid, even now I am tempted to try it.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Much better scene to be involved in. I wish I had the opportunity to surf as a kid, even now I am tempted to try it.
Yes it was- try it, it's never too late!

I body boarded, tried surfing and now paddle board. I would be at the beach from 6am to 8 or 9pm sometimes in high school. I lived and still live the true California beach dream. I'm at the beach all the time, it's my best friend.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baal200 View Post
Not really, as there are many people, such as Venezuelans, Spanish, Argentinians and rich Mexicans that are just residents. They are not interested in learning English, what for? They have access to absolutely everything in Spanish. They are no different from English living in Spain. Germans, Scandinavians and Russians need to know broken English, but not them.
As I specified in my post, my comment referred to children. Also, I'm not too familiar with Miami so I can't comment further on that. I did mention Miami but maybe I shouldn't have. Local cultures are all quite different.

At the San Diego/Tijuana border, even in Spanish speaking communities the children speak English, and many times don't even want to speak Spanish. Popular American culture and TV, as well as school culture have a huge impact on kids. They want to 'fit in.'

Old 05-31-2016, 11:01 AM

749 posts, read 856,406 times
Europeans thinking the US is all WASP, is like Americans thinking Europe is all White and with no diversity. I guess you know about where you've been, and use stereotypes for what you don't know. That's just human.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World