U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-05-2017, 12:57 PM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
13,615 posts, read 16,348,120 times
Reputation: 9342

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
that is an odd comment. Don't you need to speak English in the US/Australia, French in France and German in Germany? It applies to all countries, even in countries where English is widely used as a second language.
I know, but not many westerners are going to speak Japanese well enough to want to live in Japan for the long term.

English to French or English to German is an easier transition, although still not easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-05-2017, 01:35 PM
 
10,826 posts, read 9,354,347 times
Reputation: 7376
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Maybe in 1998, but since we're approaching 2018, in my opinion: UAE/Dubai, Japan, Israel, Greece. Maybe Hong Kong too...
Hong Kong represents 1998, not 2018 my friend. Its best days are long gone.

Live in HK? Did you know the average living space in HK is less than 150sf (14 sq m)? That's equivalent to two prison cells. Good luck enjoy your "life" there.

https://qz.com/index/1118490/in-a-ci...r-150-million/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2017, 02:37 PM
 
2,526 posts, read 1,494,681 times
Reputation: 1075
Best countries to live, regardless of work??

Nobody beats southern Europe, especially Spain, Italy, south of France....weather, history, architecture, food, culture, you are a cheap and short plane ride from amazing places.

Very career oriented/high achiever/incredibly talented in science, technology, finance and loving open spaces?? The US is still the place to go. The UK offers a lot of opportunities as well in some professions..same for Germany and both enjoy the already mentioned attribute of having everything close.

Australia is the perfect blend of some US lifestyle attributes, a European laid back environment towards work and great weather. Being close to Asia is a plus for some.

If you know Spanish or Portuguese you can definitely find good opportunities in some Latin American countries with good quality of life.

Canada is good but not as desirable as Europe, the US or Australia (and the weather is a factor not to mention that is not that different from the US).

Last edited by saturno_v; 12-05-2017 at 02:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2017, 03:17 PM
 
Location: Vancouver, BC
8,992 posts, read 9,727,587 times
Reputation: 3582
Australia and NZ are the best right now IMO. Canada is pretty good too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2017, 03:50 PM
 
372 posts, read 223,268 times
Reputation: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Best countries to live, regardless of work??

Nobody beats southern Europe, especially Spain, Italy, south of France....weather, history, architecture, food, culture, you are a cheap and short plane ride from amazing places.

Very career oriented/high achiever/incredibly talented in science, technology, finance and loving open spaces?? The US is still the place to go. The UK offers a lot of opportunities as well in some professions..same for Germany and both enjoy the already mentioned attribute of having everything close.

Australia is the perfect blend of some US lifestyle attributes, a European laid back environment towards work and great weather. Being close to Asia is a plus for some.

If you know Spanish or Portuguese you can definitely find good opportunities in some Latin American countries with good quality of life.

Canada is good but not as desirable as Europe, the US or Australia (and the weather is a factor not to mention that is not that different from the US).
Good summary.

Canada is also becoming a poor value for money proposition as the cost of living drives higher without a commensurate improvement in the qualities of living here. Europe, USA and Australia are still tops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2017, 04:00 PM
 
Location: Vancouver, BC
8,992 posts, read 9,727,587 times
Reputation: 3582
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookyhere View Post
Good summary.

Canada is also becoming a poor value for money proposition as the cost of living drives higher without a commensurate improvement in the qualities of living here. Europe, USA and Australia are still tops.
A lot of places aren't good value for money in Europe for long term living IMO. Places like the UK, Switzerland and the Nordic countries come to mind. Some like Spain and Portugal are pretty good if you can bring your money with you from elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2017, 04:29 PM
 
2,526 posts, read 1,494,681 times
Reputation: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
A lot of places aren't good value for money in Europe for long term living IMO.
Yes but you get other "perks" in Europe.....Canada does not offer a significant different experience compared to the US which has a lower cost of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2017, 05:01 PM
 
Location: Sydney Australia
186 posts, read 51,856 times
Reputation: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Best countries to live, regardless of work??

Nobody beats southern Europe, especially Spain, Italy, south of France....weather, history, architecture, food, culture, you are a cheap and short plane ride from amazing places.

Very career oriented/high achiever/incredibly talented in science, technology, finance and loving open spaces?? The US is still the place to go. The UK offers a lot of opportunities as well in some professions..same for Germany and both enjoy the already mentioned attribute of having everything close.

Australia is the perfect blend of some US lifestyle attributes, a European laid back environment towards work and great weather. Being close to Asia is a plus for some.

If you know Spanish or Portuguese you can definitely find good opportunities in some Latin American countries with good quality of life.

Canada is good but not as desirable as Europe, the US or Australia (and the weather is a factor not to mention that is not that different from the US).
Australian work hours are actually among the longest around. Our annual holidays are less than those of Europe but more than of the US and Canada. The retirement age here is higher than in a lot of Europe too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2017, 05:14 PM
 
Location: Florida
16,461 posts, read 6,420,604 times
Reputation: 12952
Not for quality of life. USA hardly ranks at all. As someone who was born and raised here, it's really not such a great place to be any more. If your life is work--and you have a good job it's ok. But the COL is way ahead of wages, the gun violence is awful, and the political climate is pretty horrendous. I have a great job, but as soon as I can--I'm leaving for a country with a better quality of life.

Americans are a pretty miserable bunch these days.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-cou...life-full-list

https://www.numbeo.com/quality-of-li...by_country.jsp

InterNations: Countries with the best quality of life in the world for expats - Business Insider
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2017, 05:33 PM
 
2,526 posts, read 1,494,681 times
Reputation: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Australian work hours are actually among the longest around. Our annual holidays are less than those of Europe but more than of the US and Canada. The retirement age here is higher than in a lot of Europe too.

I thought you guys enjoy 4 or even 5 weeks mandatory holidays, stronger union culture compared to the US, etc...
The US has no federal mandatory holidays, Canada has 2 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top