U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-08-2017, 04:35 AM
 
Location: Washington State
15,402 posts, read 8,054,172 times
Reputation: 13200

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina Aguilera fan View Post
Italy is the best. The fashion and style is stunning and I like Milan's business vibe for me. Good healthcare too.

USA is the worst. The fashion is terrible, too many Wallmart jeans. Also the healthcare system.
LOL....your bias has destroyed your sensibilities. I work with educated Italians, including a girl from Milan (she hates Milan) that carpools with me, that had to leave because they couldn't make a living in Italy and I compared the net salary in Seattle compared to Milan and incomes in Seattle are 2.8 times higher. Anyway, Italy is beautiful and stylish (in a girly man way) if you happened to have money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-08-2017, 05:06 AM
 
5 posts, read 3,512 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina Aguilera fan View Post
Italy is the best. The fashion and style is stunning and I like Milan's business vibe for me. Good healthcare too.

USA is the worst. The fashion is terrible, too many Wallmart jeans. Also the healthcare system.
You just made 22 posts today, and it's your first day here. huh, something tells me you're a troll...

How can be Italy the best if it has lots of problems such as low wages, decaying infrastructures, and an average health care with very long waiting lists? Milan is good if you're a rich person wanting to buy fashion clothes, that's all. Italy is a country to visit, not to live in. Unless if you're a politician, in that case you might be successful. Italy's corruption index is worse than most ex-commie European countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
LOL....your bias has destroyed your sensibilities. I work with educated Italians, including a girl from Milan (she hates Milan) that carpools with me, that had to leave because they couldn't make a living in Italy and I compared the net salary in Seattle compared to Milan and incomes in Seattle are 2.8 times higher. Anyway, Italy is beautiful and stylish (in a girly man way) if you happened to have money.
That's an obvious troll account. Just report and ignore, 22 posts per day from a total of 22 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2017, 05:14 AM
 
Location: Cannes
2,183 posts, read 1,260,658 times
Reputation: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina Aguilera fan View Post
Italy is the best. The fashion and style is stunning and I like Milan's business vibe for me. Good healthcare too.

USA is the worst. The fashion is terrible, too many Wallmart jeans. Also the healthcare system.
Sorry but you probably never set foot in the US. I lived in L.A and pretty dressed pretty well , when going out. Plus you can find any brand you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2017, 05:16 AM
 
Location: Cannes
2,183 posts, read 1,260,658 times
Reputation: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
This question is very recurring in this forum.

A country under war or famine would obviously never qualify as a good country, so, obviously, Syria and Eritrea are not good candidates, in any measurable criteria.

Otherwise, what are the measures for a good country? The average income? Family and friends? Cultural scenario?
Despite all its issues harming infrastructure, crime and governance, I'm fine in Brazil because my family and most of my friends are here. On the other hand, I have brazilian friends in France, USA, Spain and Canada, and they don't want for anything in this world go back to Brazil. My brother-in-law, also brazilian, lived for a long time in Bolivia... and loved it; he qualifies Bolivia as the best country of the world.

A lot of muslims from Iraq, Uzbekistan, Burkina Faso and other countries would give everything for living in Saudi Arabia, Qatar or Emirates. But, as a christian, I would never move to these countries (not even for holidays). Jews are at home in Israel and many of them consider it as their homeland, but at the expense of being threatened by other countries and by terrorists.

How about China? Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, are rich and socially balanced cities, but at expense of living under a dictatorship. How about Japan? South Korea? High tech and rich societies, but working so long hours almost having no time to live and under constant risk of attack of North Korea.

Are Canada, Sweden or Finland good choices? Surely, if you don't mind to deal with long and freezing winters. Germany, Austria, Switzerland? A bit less freezing, but reportedly harder to integrate into the society, as the people is not very open to make new friends. Portugal? Mild climate, friendly people and generally good quality of life, but wages are lower than average in Western Europe. Same applies to Spain, but from times to times they have to deal with crisis and civil unrest. Panamá, Costa Rica? Hot throughout all the year - some people love this, other hate. Australia, New Zealand? Excellent choices if you don't mind spending hours and more hours when travelling abroad. Same applies to Chile, but lower loans and having to deal with threatens of earthquakes and volcanos.

Russians have good reasons to keep living in Russia and non-russians also have even better reasons for not moving to Russia.

How about France? Very central in Europe, not too hot nor too cold, it has beaches and winter resorts, lots of world heritage sites, strong cultural life, very open and tolerant. But... what about the unpredictable terror attacks, like those in Paris and Nice? Italy has many of the same characteristics of France, but it's less culturally tolerant and also the homeland of mafia.

All of this being said, the answer to this question is: depends. There is no perfect country. Most countries have good and bad points, and what is good for some may not be good for others.
Very good write up!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2017, 05:21 AM
 
Location: Cannes
2,183 posts, read 1,260,658 times
Reputation: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina Aguilera fan View Post
I lived in Los Angeles. I agree that people in Los Angeles dress well but Los Angeles and New York are unique in America.

Other parts of the USA are not good.
Any big city in the US where people that can afford nice clothes will buy them. It's like going to a high end club and a ****ty one. of course on the ****ty clubs people will be dressed poorly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2017, 05:31 AM
 
Location: Washington State
15,402 posts, read 8,054,172 times
Reputation: 13200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina Aguilera fan View Post
A happy life is more than salary. There are many other factors Americans tell me about. Many things or potential expenses that Americans have to worry about that Italians don't. They show me that many are struggling.

And you said you've worked internationally too. If the US economy was the best you would stay there and would not have to work abroad. Be in Seattle if it's good.

I assume your situation must be the same as that Italian woman?

Is that correct?
Incorrect, my company asked me to work on international projects and paid additional monies to me and I've done it for the additional money. The Italian woman was making peanuts starvation as an Engineer in Italy after graduating from university in Italy. I was making 10 times in the US as what she made in Italy which is somewhat attributable to my level as a manager versus a new engineer. Our engineers in the Houston office make twice what our engineers in Amsterdam make.

Glad your happy in Italy and hope you stay there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2017, 05:37 AM
 
Location: Cannes
2,183 posts, read 1,260,658 times
Reputation: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina Aguilera fan View Post
When I look at Milan's streets, I see more people who dress good than any USA city. Dressing good is more than nice clothing. It is also about tailoring, sizing and fit.

I have seen people in the USA who dress good in cities but it is much rarer than what I see in Europe. Overall the USA does not rank high for me regarding stylish people.

Your location is Cannes. You should know this.
Yes you are correct, in general Europeans dress better, but your statement was generalizing an entire country as unstylish. Also good to remind that you are picking Milan as an example which isn't really fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2017, 05:38 AM
 
Location: Cannes
2,183 posts, read 1,260,658 times
Reputation: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobba View Post
Excuse me? Why do you pass conveniently through information/data posted in this thread?



"So does Spain" are you serious? Portugal's average wage is 80-90% lower than Spain's one, being almost half.

Spanish average is slightly lower than the average of Western Europe (without counting microstates just as Monaco, Luxembourg, etc. If not, even Germany would have a low wage compared to those) but the Portuguese one is under half of the average.

I've been to Portugal and the prices are not even by far 50% lower than in Spain yet their wages are almost half. In restaurants I didn't see more than a 20-30% of difference and in normal groceries the difference was close to that too. Gasoline and Diesel is even more expensive in Portugal, the only fair difference compared to prices is the price of their phone/internet companies compared to the Spanish ones, in Spain you pay 40€ for the Internet which you get in Portugal for 20-25€, but this is amongst the least important things.

Oh dear, Spain is the 3rd country in the world and 2nd in Europe in UNESCO heritage sites, just surpassed by China and Italy. Civil unrests in Spain?!? Oh dear, seems that you know from 0 to nothing about civil unrests in Europe. Portugal has more, while France, UK or Germany have way more than Spain does.

The Spanish economy is way more stable and stronger, Spain is way more developed and wages are almost twice (check the official wages map posted above, those are EURES official numbers) and Spain is a lot bigger and has way more diversity in anything, Spain is the most diverse European country by landscapes (from deserts to mountain icebergs passing through decidious lakes to beach forests with crystal clear waters to arid landscapes with palm trees and a coastline resembling Ireland or Scotland in the north...)


Just like I said before, from Europe the best countries to live are: France, Spain, Germany, Switzerland, Italy and Netherlands (in this order). Portugal needs a lot of improvement to be in that list, starting with public infrastructure such as health care, as many Portuguese public hospitals have less specialists than they need, as the majority of new graduates (nurses and doctors) flee to other European countries, last year thousands of young doctors made a manifestation because they started with a wage of 500-600€ per month!!! For God's sake, in Spain new doctors earn about 3.000€ per month and nurses with university degrees earn about 2.000€, and that's when they start, in some years they double (or more) that wage...

Portugal's situation is critic, life is not cheap at all and wages are lower than the ones in Greece, Slovenia, Czech Republic... and soon Slovakia and Poland if nothing changes in Portugal. Portugal is nice to live if you're a low-middle incomed retiree with a private health care contract (those ones are pretty cheap in Portugal) but definetly not to live and work there.
Looking at the map, salaries in the UK are surprisingly low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2017, 05:50 AM
 
Location: Cannes
2,183 posts, read 1,260,658 times
Reputation: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobba View Post
Extracted from The Mirror UK within a 2017 article:



The GBP/Euro rate has been declining for a while. UK wages were never very high, Ireland (for example) has way higher wages.
What are the wages in London?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2017, 06:10 AM
 
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
1,484 posts, read 1,649,429 times
Reputation: 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobba View Post
Excuse me? Why do you pass conveniently through information/data posted in this thread?



"So does Spain" are you serious? Portugal's average wage is 80-90% lower than Spain's one, being almost half.

Spanish average is slightly lower than the average of Western Europe (without counting microstates just as Monaco, Luxembourg, etc. If not, even Germany would have a low wage compared to those) but the Portuguese one is under half of the average.

I've been to Portugal and the prices are not even by far 50% lower than in Spain yet their wages are almost half. In restaurants I didn't see more than a 20-30% of difference and in normal groceries the difference was close to that too. Gasoline and Diesel is even more expensive in Portugal, the only fair difference compared to prices is the price of their phone/internet companies compared to the Spanish ones, in Spain you pay 40€ for the Internet which you get in Portugal for 20-25€, but this is amongst the least important things.

Oh dear, Spain is the 3rd country in the world and 2nd in Europe in UNESCO heritage sites, just surpassed by China and Italy. Civil unrests in Spain?!? Oh dear, seems that you know from 0 to nothing about civil unrests in Europe. Portugal has more, while France, UK or Germany have way more than Spain does.

The Spanish economy is way more stable and stronger, Spain is way more developed and wages are almost twice (check the official wages map posted above, those are EURES official numbers) and Spain is a lot bigger and has way more diversity in anything, Spain is the most diverse European country by landscapes (from deserts to mountain icebergs passing through decidious lakes to beach forests with crystal clear waters to arid landscapes with palm trees and a coastline resembling Ireland or Scotland in the north...)


Just like I said before, from Europe the best countries to live are: France, Spain, Germany, Switzerland, Italy and Netherlands (in this order). Portugal needs a lot of improvement to be in that list, starting with public infrastructure such as health care, as many Portuguese public hospitals have less specialists than they need, as the majority of new graduates (nurses and doctors) flee to other European countries, last year thousands of young doctors made a manifestation because they started with a wage of 500-600€ per month!!! For God's sake, in Spain new doctors earn about 3.000€ per month and nurses with university degrees earn about 2.000€, and that's when they start, in some years they double (or more) that wage...

Portugal's situation is critic, life is not cheap at all and wages are lower than the ones in Greece, Slovenia, Czech Republic... and soon Slovakia and Poland if nothing changes in Portugal. Portugal is nice to live if you're a low-middle incomed retiree with a private health care contract (those ones are pretty cheap in Portugal) but definetly not to live and work there.
I'm sorry if you feel offended. Please, excuse me, even because the way in which I wrote can easily lead to misunderstandings.

About the wages in Spain, I thought to write a distinct thing of what I really wrote (and now I noticed): Spain compares to Portugal in having a mild climate and friendly - but, instead of the low wages, Spain has to deal with unrest. What leads me to think about this are the riots caused now by the movements in Catalonia and formerly by ETA. Anyway, the purpose of my post was show that every country has its pros and cons, and in no moment I had the intention to bash Spain or every other country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top