Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2023, 01:29 PM

1,221 posts, read 491,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Yes Luis all Punjabi immigrants to Canada are worth millions of dollars USD. With all that money they choose Canada instead of a cheaper, warmer and peaceful country where their dollars would go much further
I didn't say all. Stop being so confrontational.

Quote:
I agree with you that the Canadian government is being soft on its stance. While I don't agree that an individual shouldn't have the right to protest in Canada, Trudeau should take a harder line on extremist elements and be very clear he doesn't support that. This would have appeased India. That said, yes India is WAY out of line if it was directly involved at a governmental level of an assassination of a Canadian citizen on Canadian soil. If Canada doesn't take a strong stance against this than what does that say about its sovereignty. So, at this point i'm not sure how much India doesn't respect Canada. If what Trudeau is saying is proven true conclusively, than he is actually on the right here for speaking forcefully against it and I think Modi is getting the message loud and clear.
[/quote]

Well there is no way Trudeau will stand up to them. I don't think any Canadians politicians will. Canadians might as well get used to the idea that we will be seeing more and more of indian political and religous conflicts here in Canada. This is what canadian wanted in the name of openes and becuase of Indians percieved superiority over other immigrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2023, 06:23 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,279,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
India is needed in the West to counter China, therefore things like this (if true) will be ignored or downplayed so we don't rock the boat sort of speak. Similar to Saudi Arabia. It's a interesting aspect of geopolitics. So long as a a party is beneficial we overlook transgressions, while simultaneously making others who commit far less egregious offenses out to be a threat to humanity.
Didn’t India side with Russia in the Ukraine conflict? Anywho, it’s not the counter to China. That’s more Southeast Asia combined with Japan and Korea.

I don’t think Canada has much recourse other than some token sanctions.

Old 09-19-2023, 08:19 PM

1,221 posts, read 491,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Didn’t India side with Russia in the Ukraine conflict?.

They most certainly did.

Old 09-19-2023, 09:00 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,492,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Didn’t India side with Russia in the Ukraine conflict? Anywho, it’s not the counter to China. That’s more Southeast Asia combined with Japan and Korea.

I don’t think Canada has much recourse other than some token sanctions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
They most certainly did.
I don’t think that’s an accurate description of the situation. India is buying gas from Russia at a discount, but they have not openly provided weapons to them. They have simply chosen to abstain from directly condemning the conflict. It’s worth pointing out that India is moving closer towards the West these days, despite the often fraught and at times antagonistic relationship between the parties during the Cold War.

Old 09-20-2023, 08:30 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
The reason Justin Trudeau released the information when he did is because the Canadian media were minutes away from breaking the story. I doubt he would have spoken about this at this time had that not been the case. The media forced his hand.

Old 09-20-2023, 08:34 PM

1,651 posts, read 864,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I don’t think that’s an accurate description of the situation. India is buying gas from Russia at a discount, but they have not openly provided weapons to them. They have simply chosen to abstain from directly condemning the conflict. It’s worth pointing out that India is moving closer towards the West these days, despite the often fraught and at times antagonistic relationship between the parties during the Cold War.
Are they moving closer to the West or merely exploiting the west for gain? I mean they are a central part of BRICS, an organization some would say was formed to rival or at least get from under the thumb of the West.

Old 09-20-2023, 08:56 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Are they moving closer to the West or merely exploiting the west for gain? I mean they are a central part of BRICS, an organization some would say was formed to rival or at least get from under the thumb of the West.
I agree with you. I think the Indian Government is opportunist. All countries are but particularly this one. They are simply playing it down the middle pivoting whatever direction suits them tactically at any given time.

Old 09-21-2023, 05:24 AM

3,977 posts, read 6,784,942 times
Quote:
That's ironic since all this BRICS non-sense started because a Western economist from Goldman Sachs, called Jim O’Neill, coined the acronym BRICs in 2001 to describe the collective grouping of the four "emerging" market economies - Brazil, Russia, India and China.

I'm Brazilian and I admit that when the actual "bloc" started to be formed, back in 2009, I thought that could be a good idea, since it could bring some good opportunities to Brazil in terms of trade and of technological exchange. Remember at that time the president of Russia was Dmitry Medvedev and the president of China was Hu Jintao. That was before the "Arab spring" and all the geopolitical mess that started after that, and way before the invasion of Crimea.

Back then, I didn't see it as something with the aim of "confronting the West" since I think Brazil is a Western country (as the other Latin American countries, after all we speak European languages - Spanish, Portuguese - the majority religion is Christianity, and most countries are democracies with constitutions inspired by the constitutions of European countries).

Today I think BRICS was actually a terrible idea, Brazil didn't gain ANYTHING from this, and now we are "friends" with Russia and China, that I personally call the new Axis of Evil.

I think Brazil and India should distance themselves from China and Russia, and choose the democracies as their allies (not only Western democracies, but the Asian democracies as well, like Taiwan, South Korea, Japan, Indonesia).

Old 09-21-2023, 01:40 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
Quote:
India is needed in the West to counter China, therefore things like this (if true) will be ignored or downplayed so we don't rock the boat sort of speak. Similar to Saudi Arabia. It's a interesting aspect of geopolitics. So long as a a party is beneficial we overlook transgressions, while simultaneously making others who commit far less egregious offenses out to be a threat to humanity.
I think India needs the West just as much if not more.

After all China has land claims/disputes with India and is surrounding India with military bases. In addition, India would love to become the next manufacturing hub for the West.

Old 09-21-2023, 03:14 PM

1,651 posts, read 864,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I think India needs the West just as much if not more.

After all China has land claims/disputes with India and is surrounding India with military bases. In addition, India would love to become the next manufacturing hub for the West.
I wouldn't say India needs the West more. Would they like for more manufacturing jobs, weapons, and technology transfer, I imagine so. However, India has lasted this long without these items. The border dispute dates to the days of the British Empire. Becoming friendly with the West will not change this issue. In fact, it could make it worse. Just look Ukraine. I wasn't aware of China surrounding India with military bases. If you have a source, please share. Maybe you’re referring to India becoming surrounded by Chinese friendly nations. Becoming a manufacturing hub is great, but it comes with a cost. Look at what happened to Japan in the 80s. Look at what they are trying to do to China now.

India is in a unique position. It has good relations with most of the world's other major powers. While the relationship with China isn't the greatest, both seem to be comfortable with being frenemies. In some regard it’s in the same position as the U.S. pre-WWI. In this position it can extract concessions from the other powers. Right now, it's flexing its muscle, as this incident shows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World