Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-28-2023, 09:56 AM
 
1,618 posts, read 816,833 times
Reputation: 2551

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
i can see the hypocrisy of it all. The question is would we want to live in a world without a U.S influence. I guess that obviously depends on who you ask but given where i'm tucked away, the answer would be no.
Spot on, it all comes down to who you ask. Thus the reason the world is dividing into blocs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-28-2023, 10:10 AM
 
1,618 posts, read 816,833 times
Reputation: 2551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Vietnam has far more beef with China than the US. I’m not sure how you could perceive it any other way, as they’ve had an antagonistic relationship with China for a much greater period of time. The US made the mistake of supporting French attempts at recolonisation following the end of WW2.

If you want an ASEAN country that is more neutral in its balancing act between China and the West, Indonesia would be a much better example. Vietnam and the Philippines are much closer to the West.
You say this with confidence, but can you say this with certainty. If I'm understanding your argument correctly, because Vietnam has a longer history of antagonization with China than the West, it will naturally side with the West. You're applying cold war logic which doesn't really hold for this part of the world or this era. For Vietnam to become a useful ally we would need for them to become Japan or S. Korea like, as in willingness to allow U.S. troops on the ground. That appears very unlikely. An alternative would be for them to become hostile to China with a willingness to engage in military and economic provocations. Appears unlikely that this time. China is a top trading partner and is investing in the country. Vietnam has the same government system as China. China mere presence helped them in the Vietnam war, as it kept the U.S. from invading the North over fear of another Korean peninsula style conflict with China. Vietnam has learned to deal with the Chinese. In many respects they are like India. Basically in the frenemy relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2023, 06:32 PM
 
Location: Starting a walkabout
2,686 posts, read 1,647,137 times
Reputation: 3115
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
i can see the hypocrisy of it all. The question is would we want to live in a world without a U.S influence. I guess that obviously depends on who you ask but given where i'm tucked away, the answer would be no.

For Canadians it makes sense to live under US influence and protection, now that the British Empire is no more. USA provides it with military security that it cannot do on its own.

But the issue for India is that it does not want to get tied down to USA. USSR has supported India with transfer of MIG-21 technology and has sent battleships to the Indian Ocean during the 1971 war. It has vetoed three UN security council resolutions against India relating to the Kashmir dispute, and three more times in the in the 1971 war against Pakistan when US strongly supported Pakistan and sponsored those resolutions.

Even today USA is a close ally of Pakistan and sends it military aid. Even though US has pulled out of Afghanistan and Pakistan is very close to China.

Thus India does not want to enter US sphere of influence. US will act in its best national interest and so will India and the Asian nations. No more of " if you are not with us, you are against us" idea spouted by USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2023, 07:44 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,869 posts, read 10,467,580 times
Reputation: 5504
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post

Thus India does not want to enter US sphere of influence. US will act in its best national interest and so will India and the Asian nations. No more of " if you are not with us, you are against us" idea spouted by USA.
Worth noting that that was a Bush reference to the Iraq war, which Canada did not participate in. Canada can and does make independent decisions from the US. They have alot of sway and influence here, but I do truly believe that much of the countries being aligned on most issues is somewhat organic and cause by the populations having similar views on many issues (but not all, for example Cuba).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2023, 05:21 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
3,403 posts, read 4,435,118 times
Reputation: 3270
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
I just hope the Congress Party wins majority in the elections in 2024 and remove that reckless psycho Modi from power, before it's too late...
The Congress Party will never win a nationwide majority as long as the Boy Prince, Rahul Gandhi, is at the reins. Modi not only promises, he delivers for the most part. It's something Indians aren't used to seeing in their politicians. For 60+ years, India wasn't a country that Indians could be proud of. In fact, it was the laughing stock of the world. Modi restored national pride and delivers results, and don't you for one second discount that. Modi and the BJP will continue to steamroll elections as long as they are delivering... whether you or anyone else likes it or not. People are liking the results under the BJP much more than the 50something years the INC had a monopoly over Indian politics. The INC represents socialism, kleptocracy, self hate, and ineptitude in the minds of Indian voters.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 10-14-2023 at 05:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2023, 07:14 PM
 
Location: Starting a walkabout
2,686 posts, read 1,647,137 times
Reputation: 3115
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
India isn't thrilled with Canada housing Kalistani separatists. Nijjar wasn't a nice guy. He wasn't just a 'Plumber' and I wouldn't be at all surprised he was behind some background machinations that caused problems and even potentially violence in India. On the other hand, Canada is more liberal with Freedom of expression than India is so I can see there would be a natural tension between the two.

We have talked about everything thing in this thread but the assassination, except you. Trudeau says there is credible evidence but it has not been made public yet.

But let us assume for a minute that it is true and India, via its agents or hired guns, did indeed assassinate this man. One would wonder why India would do that because getting caught would cause a maelstrom. He was not assassinated just because he was a pro-Khalistani. There are hundreds of thousands of pro-Khalistanis in Canada, USA, UK , Australia etc. The Indian government does not go about assassinating these people. I have met some pro Khalistan Sikhs in Central Valley USA who proudly display their Khaliistan flag and make contribution to their cause and yet they are not the targets.

I suspect the Indian intelligence found out he was planning a big terrorist event, either in India or on Indians. For those of you who are young to not know it, read about the Air India bombing carried out by a pro Khalistan Canadian citizen. Even though the Canadian intelligence had followed him earlier and saw him detonating devices, they never stopped him or brought him to trial. And he was bold enough to be planning an attack on Indian parliament after that. The Canadian justice system is either ineffective or the politicians are pandering to these terrorists. India does not want to lose lives thanks to the PM who whines but does not act. I bet if the Israeli intelligence had similar info on the man who was the ring leader for the recent Hamas attacks, Mossad would have taken him out. And USA does it routinely, both to US and foreign citizens who engage in terrorism against USA.

The Air India bombing details from a Canadian media, which is not biased towards India.

https://abcnews.go.com/International...d=82216&page=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2023, 08:33 PM
 
Location: Toronto
15,109 posts, read 15,709,886 times
Reputation: 5191
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
We have talked about everything thing in this thread but the assassination, except you. Trudeau says there is credible evidence but it has not been made public yet.

But let us assume for a minute that it is true and India, via its agents or hired guns, did indeed assassinate this man. One would wonder why India would do that because getting caught would cause a maelstrom. He was not assassinated just because he was a pro-Khalistani. There are hundreds of thousands of pro-Khalistanis in Canada, USA, UK , Australia etc. The Indian government does not go about assassinating these people. I have met some pro Khalistan Sikhs in Central Valley USA who proudly display their Khaliistan flag and make contribution to their cause and yet they are not the targets.

I suspect the Indian intelligence found out he was planning a big terrorist event, either in India or on Indians. For those of you who are young to not know it, read about the Air India bombing carried out by a pro Khalistan Canadian citizen. Even though the Canadian intelligence had followed him earlier and saw him detonating devices, they never stopped him or brought him to trial. And he was bold enough to be planning an attack on Indian parliament after that. The Canadian justice system is either ineffective or the politicians are pandering to these terrorists. India does not want to lose lives thanks to the PM who whines but does not act. I bet if the Israeli intelligence had similar info on the man who was the ring leader for the recent Hamas attacks, Mossad would have taken him out. And USA does it routinely, both to US and foreign citizens who engage in terrorism against USA.

The Air India bombing details from a Canadian media, which is not biased towards India.

https://abcnews.go.com/International...d=82216&page=1
You raise some good points and we are just speculating here, but if there was good evidence that Nijjar was planning something big and Indian intelligence/government agents were aware and they couldn't share this with CSIS, I find that hard to believe. CSIS was actually in contact with Nijjar so if they knew he was a very bad actor planning somethin big why didn't they do anything? The Air India bombing is an example - but that was long ago. It is hard to believe Canadian intelligence would be that innefective. Especially considering how close they are with the U.S, Australian, UK and NZ intelligence agencies. The U.S actually had the alleged intelligence of Indian involvement and shared with CSIS - so the U.S intelligence apparatus was aware of Indian involvement but not aware Nijjar was planning a major terrorist event

You could be right - neither of us know or perhaps - India is becoming more emboldened in its offshore endeavours... If they did however, I don't think they'll do it again with a western country but who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2023, 09:29 PM
 
1,618 posts, read 816,833 times
Reputation: 2551
These articles sum everything up.

The U.S. and other Western allies are going to look the other way as not to upset India. At most they will put of statements of outrage that mean nothing.

https://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-66885924

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...ikh-alliances/

Thus the world of geopolitics. So long as we deem you valuable, will let you get away with murder. If this were China better believe they would be calling for a U.N resolution condemning the act, kicking out foreign envoys, banning them from the Olympics, and beating the drums of war. No hate on India, they are playing up their position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2023, 09:38 PM
 
1,000 posts, read 343,874 times
Reputation: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
These articles sum everything up.

The U.S. and other Western allies are going to look the other way as not to upset India. At most they will put of statements of outrage that mean nothing.

https://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-66885924

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...ikh-alliances/

Thus the world of geopolitics. So long as we deem you valuable, will let you get away with murder. If this were China better believe they would be calling for a U.N resolution condemning the act, kicking out foreign envoys, banning them from the Olympics, and beating the drums of war. No hate on India, they are playing up their position.
Indians get away with a lot. Specially here in Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2023, 08:01 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
3,403 posts, read 4,435,118 times
Reputation: 3270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
Indians get away with a lot. Specially here in Canada.
What exactly are they getting away with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:54 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top