Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2019, 08:12 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,629,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
You just wasted a lot of keystrokes because I'm not reading all that. We can stop here. You grew up in a household that supported pan-Africanism, which means someone in your family is probably educated because most black people in the hood are not thinking about pan-Africanism. They are concerned with what's going on in their local area and if they don't have Africans in their community, they aren't thinking about them. You guys can try to make it seem like black Americans are spending all this mental energy on Africans if it makes you feel better. That's delusion. Most of the people criticizing Africans today are COLLEGE-EDUCATED BLACK AMERICANS. Period.

Edited because I want to add: when I say educated, I mean college-educated. Black people who don't live in ethnically diverse communities are generally not concerned with other ethnic groups. They have their own lives to worry about and tend to mind their business...which won't include people who aren't directly affecting their lives. All this talk about Africans vs. African-Americans is intellectual conversation that people who don't have to worry about basic needs can afford to indulge in. Hit dogs holla.
Clearly you won't read it because your not the brightest person at all. Hard for you to comprehend common sense so I get it. Here's the thing most black people in America aren't centered around Pan Africanism. But you do realize because I was, I was more conscious of comments made about Africa and how Black people identify themselves because of who I was. If Black people see me rocking some clothes with historical black figures or talk about Africa, I would regularly get responses like "Awww man, here he go with this Back to Africa sh*t".

The fact is we are conditioned to not have a connection with our ancestral homeland and it started from slavery. So yes Black people are not focused on Africa but when it's presented not even force but presented a lot of our people respond negatively. It's obvious you know nothing of the sorts so it doesn't pertain to you. You clearly didn't grow up with Continental Africans or any Black people of a diverse background.

And also in predominately black communities generally people are a little bit more consciously aware of other ethnic groups than you believe. One because the work I do in my community and have done since childhood allows me to speak to the people. Two, because often black communities are co-opted by Arabs/Asians who do business in black communities and usually don't do right by these black communities at their place of business. So Black people are very aware of other ethnic groups because it affects their communities.

Your right though, hit dogs do holla, so do you want to continue to holla like a ***** or speak intelligently on the subject?

Quote:

These people are easy to spot if you've interacted with them long enough. Like the person who wrote the tome to me. Definitely not a black person with deep roots in America. Calling themselves African "American" (why would you put it in quotes??) was the first sign.
As far as me quoting American, I honestly don't like to label myself American. We are African, Americanized Africans. We shouldn't give ourselves the oppressors label they created for themselves. Hence: "American". And were not treated as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespiritbty View Post
Let me guess, another digital blackface African American trying to appear witty.
Why would I want to pretend to be African American if in your eyes we think African Americans are inferior? You react off of emotion not logic. Pathetic, funny but pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2019, 08:28 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,469,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Clearly you won't read it because your not the brightest person at all. Hard for you to comprehend common sense so I get it. Here's the thing most black people in America aren't centered around Pan Africanism. But you do realize because I was, I was more conscious of comments made about Africa and how Black people identify themselves because of who I was. If Black people see me rocking some clothes with historical black figures or talk about Africa, I would regularly get responses like "Awww man, here he go with this Back to Africa sh*t".

That's nice and all, but are one or both of your parents/grandparents college-educated? This settles my point.

There was a quick period in AA history where Afrocentrism was a thing (and I'd still argue it was a thing among intellectuals primarily). Other than that, our customs are American. This becomes most obvious when traveling abroad. Very few continental Africans will view us as one of them (as they shouldn't) and to pretend otherwise is disingenuous.

Old 12-20-2019, 08:32 AM

264 posts, read 136,926 times
Quote:
No, actually they don't have any rights, or a voice in any conversation on AA's fight for reparations, period. AA's are not the mules for the entire African Diaspora's slave history, only our own. They weren't in American slave fields with our ancestors. They weren't being hunted, preyed upon, killed, raped, murdered, lynched with our ancestors in America. They didn't have homes burned down, land stolen, racist violence against them, debt peonage like our ancestors in America. They weren't in Tulsa, Wilmington, Detroit, Cleveland, L.A., New York, St. Louis, Kansas, Nebraska, et. al, were our ancestors spilled blood, worked their fingers to the bone for the American Dream and Civil Rights. They weren't sharecropping with my great grandparents in the south. NO, and NO, they do not have a voice to join this conversation. None of them deferred to AAs in their fight for reparations. This is not how any of this works.

And your story is an outlier, the exception to the rule, while the majority of AA's do not have Jewish ancestry to receive reparations as jews. Ironically, most jews don't support reparations for AA's, and the biggest pushback AA's have received on this issue have come from Africans, Caribbeans, Latinos, Hispanics, practically other "people of color" who have no business sticking their noses into AA's business. My position will not change. I don't know who they think they are, but the majority of us will not have this narrative shoved down our throats. It's not a conversation AA's want to have with immigrants stepping on us for better opportunities. It's not a conversation AA's need to have with immigrants willfully ignorant and intellectually lazy of AA history and culture in America.

Because you live in Spain, you're not on the ground with the reparations movement by AA's in America. There are steps being taken to prevent usurpers from insinuating themselves into the reparations conversation.
the problem with that argument is that if you look at history almost all of the heading figures of the black liberation movement have been immigrants or first generation Americans.

W. E. B. Du Bois father was Haitian
Marcus Garvey was Jamaican
Malcom X mother was from Grenada
Carlos Cooks was from the Domincan Rep.
Edward Wilmot Blyden was Liberian
Stokely Carmichael was from Trinidad

The list is Long.

They came from abroad to set you free, and now you say they have no business?
Maybe as before, foreigners have a better understanding of what this silly reparations movements entails.
it seems like local AAs saw a $$$ sign and lost their minds. willing to sell years of struggle for a couple of bucks (because judging by what other reparations movements in history got, thats all they will get) maybe it is a bad idea.

History will read as this:

"They saw a dollar sign and shut their ears, Did not hear their historical allies, vilified them, attacked them, call them intrusive, aliens"

No wonder Ann Coulter loves this reparation movement BS.
this just furthers divides the black vote, and i think the white Establishment is under the impression they can shut black mouths with cash, it seems to be working.

Old 12-20-2019, 08:57 AM

264 posts, read 136,926 times
Quote:
Jewish people weren't expected to celebrate Germany after their holocaust, or guilted, or allowed themselves to be conned into investing their hard-earned $$ in Germany's tourism. From what I've heard, Jews will not buy German cars. This expectation is only geared towards AAs as the 'Year of Return 2019' under non-reciprocated Pan-Africanism. It's obscene to perpetrate a commonly used racist sentiment used by white supremacists telling AAs to "go back to Africa".
good observation.

This begs the question..Was Garvey doing the whites man work when convinced the AAs populace that Africa, and a return to it (both Physically and Spiritually) was better for the American black man?

Getting rid of the black man was always a white supremacy goal, specially after the end of slavery.

Convincing them of self-deporting sounds like a white man trick, doesn't it ?

Another similar observation. Is the relentless enforcement of the "one drop rule" by AAs, forcing and bulling mixed race people to identify as black, another example of the Black man doing the whites man job?

Keeping white race pure and without blemished has always been a white supremacy goal.

But it is black Americans that do the enforcement of the rule. (this has historically brought criticism from other peoples on the diaspora, specially Hispanics) AAs accuse them of racial denial, lack of African pride, passing ect.

Convincing them of self police and keep those racial lines as clear as possible, sounds like a white man trick, doesn't it ?

Is this reparation movement doing the whites man job by creating a schism among blacks in the US?

Convincing them of self divide along a nativist line and weaken their political clout, sounds like a white man trick, doesn't it ?

Old 12-20-2019, 10:34 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,071,134 times
Quote:
LOL @ once again trying to use coded language of "bitterness and misinformation" to discredit me. and trying to get a leg up on our exchange. Gaslighting isn't working on me. Nor is trying to discredit my posts because you've woefully overestimated your intelligence. Malcolm X was an African American. He never referred to himself as Caribbean American. His mother was a strong ally and to her credit, proved it by her works. She taught her children about fighting racism in AMERICA. His father was African American. Your point isn't based on facts. Malcolm X died fighting for Civil Rights, while his African brothers, whom he asked for allyship, turned their backs on him. Facts continue to elude you. I never said Malcolm's descendants weren't entitled to reparations, so don't put words in my post. NO, you're muddying the waters by diluting AAs reparations claim. Let me be clear, once again, that American descendants of slavery, who have designated themselves as African Americans on their birth certificate and census are African Americans. Do not passively insert yourselves into our claim Fight for your own instead of piggybacking off AAs.

Your support for AAs is meaningless based on our interactions. Keep your nose out of business. I question why anyone would consider you a true ally because you aren't one. A true ally for AA reparations wouldn't dilute slavery within America by including slavery in the world because we are focused strictly on American slavery in American experienced predominately by AAs. I feel sorry for AAs trusting you.

In terms of hate commits against AAs, according to you, does one has to commit a hate crime in order to be hateful towards AAs. That's pretty daft of you.

Regarding Yvette and Tone, no one said they Yvette and Tone were African experts. However, their years of education and experience isn't going to be minimized because you disagree with their platform. Since you're a newbie here, refrain from calling my education and knowledge on this topic into question. Their recent commentary on Africa has merit, and you're bent out of shape because they're less than deferential to west Africa and casting a critical eye on the validity of African tourism, one-sided Pan-African from AAS, and immigration for AAs. And good for you for using COINTELPRO terminology like "agents of chaos". You had to really scrapped the bottom of the barrel for that gold nugget to attempt to discredit AAs discussing this topic.

It is a fact that Africans have not done anything specific for AAs in 400+ years, and it's well documented. And too bad for Ghana and most of Africa being colonized by Europe. Their greed took over and they ended up on the short end of the stick, resulting in their colonization. That's their problem for choosing greed and being tribal during the slave trades. They ended up on the losing end of the slave trade, and more than deserve to pay for their crimes. Rival tribes fighting against the slave traded got caught up in the poor decision making of west African kingdoms. Slavery still exists in parts of West Africa.

The bigger question is why are Africans creating threads on AAs? Since I'm an AA, I will never be silenced or censored in discussing this topic since my experiences with Africans have been neutral leaning on negative. Do you require further clarification? AAs moving to Africa, especially Nigeria, the #1 scamming nation of the world, isn't impressive. The same Nigerians who called AAs, "Akata". Jesus be common sense. Moving to an overpopulated and corrupt nation must have some hidden benefit unbeknownst to the world. Nigeria was one of the countries that fought to continue the slave trade after being abolished in the west. Moving to Nigeria is nothing to brag about. And no, I don't see myself as African because my nationality and origin is American. Being of African descent doesn't make me African. I was told that by more than one African from different African nations.

AAs will comment on Africa especially as it pertains to us. And don't worry your little mind about what I do on and offline. Focus on why you're knowledge is so basic AA history, phony ally. Oh wait, this is your silly attempt to discredit my posts because your lack of intelligent responses is weak.

For the record, so you don't continue to operate from a place of confusion, I don't need you to inform me of which thread I posted in, Captain Obvious. As I recall correctly, I posted in this thread long before you joined, then responded to the off-topic discussion on reparations. And still, non-AAs should keep their noses out of business. Bless your heart for trying. And failing. Again.

Challenge yourself as to why you're involving yourself in AAs matters when you carry such vitriol, arrogance, and a pathetic sense of entitlement to AAs. Continuing to patronize me does nothing than make you look like a self-important fool. My reasons are valid for my views on Africans. I don't care if you don't agree with them, but it's my experience, and those of AAs, who've had worse experiences than I have in their interactions with black immigrants.
So I've been commenting on these boards for some time now. I've been called many things and really don't get offended as it is clear I tend to hit a nerve. I don't go away because someone told me to. At one point initially we've read comments where people are surprised that people are interested in Africa, all sorts of inaccurate claims have been made, then I've seen comments where people have told others to go back to Africa, now people are doing just that and are enjoying themselves, now in the past year we get posters like you who are trying to draw a wedge amongst groups it is an old divide and conquer mentality.

1. My comments are very clear and aren't coded.
2. You are resorting to personal attacks because I hold a different viewpoint which says more about you than me and your arguments. Interesting enough I was able to make my points without attacking you personally.
3. In terms of your ADOS claims I think you should get clarification from Tone and Yvette because what you are writing is not consistent with their stance.
4. Again I'm not going to go back and forth with you about historical events that have happened where Africans and Black immigrants have helped African Americans. Clearly you lack the exposure to historical events. As mentioned I've posted these events numerous times. To give you a hint research Sierra Leone, Ethiopia, Liberia, research some monies that were given and schools and churches that were established and reparatiation movements. You have Africans that made many movements towards the end of slavery, reparations, and repatriation movements that were argued even in Europe (mainly in Britain).
5. Malcolm X never hid that his mother was from Grenada I believe he was proud of this, I don't believe for one second that he felt that he was accepted as an American. Who pulled the trigger when it comes to Malcolm X. He had allies and enemies. King wasn't given the respect he was due by his own people until fairly recently and his own people looked down on him.
6. I do not support ADOS but do support reparations. You are arguing about reparations as a result of slavery. If you take out your emotional reaction to what I am commenting about you would understand what I am trying to convey. Reparations shouldn't be based on slavery but what happened during and thereafter. It is simple it doesn't dilute the mission but strengthens the ability to the claim. No black immigrant is seeking reparations and has taken anything from you that you can't access, we have a problem with involving us in your argument and in such a disrespectful manner. When you don't have unity you have chaos.
7. Nigeria is not the scam capital or corrupt country of the world I'd give that to many European countries and the one you call home. You are getting lost in the point I was making which was if Nigerians weren't welcoming or had some hang up with AAs then African Americans wouldn't be moving there.
8. In terms of Ghana's year of return it is not about visiting slave castles or returning to improve Ghana (not everyone that goes to Ghana visits slave castles). Ghana is opening up a welcome mat to the diaspora as a way to build a bridge and connect dots. Many African Americans needed such a welcome to be interested in going to Africa. You can view it as tourism but it really is a win win. Ghana apologized for their role in the slave trade in addition to giving land (reparations, something your government has not done), and citizenship. Let me make this clear to you, no African nation needs African Americans as they can do business with anyone but they want to do business with African Americans which again pales in comparison to what is going on in the states. Wanting and needing is two different things. I don't believe in Westernizing Africa, growing it yes but westernizing NO.

If you have a disdain for Africans without having a personal experience and even if you did have one encounter to say that all Africans hate African Americans because someone called you a name as the biggest example of hatred, again says a lot about the ability to put things into perspective and be able to rationalize. Historical constant examples of hatred makes better sense to me but I digress.

People are going to continue to go to Africa, your comments won't stop them!

Old 12-20-2019, 10:46 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,629,417 times
Quote:
That's nice and all, but are one or both of your parents/grandparents college-educated? This settles my point.

There was a quick period in AA history where Afrocentrism was a thing (and I'd still argue it was a thing among intellectuals primarily). Other than that, our customs are American. This becomes most obvious when traveling abroad. Very few continental Africans will view us as one of them (as they shouldn't) and to pretend otherwise is disingenuous.
Yes Both of my parents are college educated. Funny thing is when they went to college(both HBCU's) they were not Afro centric. My Father didn't become Afro centric till the late 80's/early 90's. And he was introduced to the knowledge when he started studying 5 percent teachings and the NOI. Eventually he met a Kenyan brotha who later became one of his best friends who further enhanced his knowledge on Africa. So an African helped introduce my Father to his lineage.

You say our customs are American. What is American customs? Truth of the matter is, our culture is a rooted in the mix of West and Central Africa culture. But it's fragmented because of slavery. Being enslaved striped and restricted us of our culture, yet many practices and traditions that were associated with West and Central Africa still survive. Our culture which stems from Africa due to our enslavement and being in a country shared with other ethnic groups have been modified and evolved into something new but it's roots are still Africa.

And because we were considered property and not Human our traditions and customs were and continue to be exploited and becomes AMERICAN culture. Just like a city like New Orleans for example. 2nd line,jazz,cuisine are originally West African customs and traditions. And the reason why the African culture is so prevalent in a city like New Orleans because under French and Spanish oppression you were able to celebrate your African traditions a little more than under British/American rule.

The same rule applies for the Gullah and Geechie people in the Carolinas/Georgia coast. They were able to keep their more obvious African culture intact because they stayed off the mainland. And most continental Africans do look at us as Africans. I mean, have you ever been to Africa?

Old 12-20-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Jewish people weren't expected to celebrate Germany after their holocaust, or guilted, or allowed themselves to be conned into investing their hard-earned $$ in Germany's tourism. From what I've heard, Jews will not buy German cars. This expectation is only geared towards AAs as the 'Year of Return 2019' under non-reciprocated Pan-Africanism. It's obscene to perpetrate a commonly used racist sentiment used by white supremacists telling AAs to "go back to Africa".
Wait one second!!!! You are comparing the holocaust to the year of return? Really? Africans didn't bring drugs to the AA community, didn't sterilize AAs and its people that fought in its wars, didn't lynch, didn't burn down your communities, didn't mass incarnate you, I can go on and on but this sounds like a holocaust if not genocide but you are fighting to be American? Again, not sure why you aren't fighting and focusing on the real enemy specifically as it pertains to loss in equity and equality.

Old 12-20-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
So only rich people should get reparations. Gotcha.

FYI, the US is not going to give reparations to black Americans because it would stop their constant revenue stream and bankrupt the country. As much as some of you think black people are low class, if we took our money out of this country, that's all she wrote. It's why they will not allow influential black people to start talking economics, and it's why influential black people in the past were...stopped when they started talking economics. They also don't want us to have a financial advantage because unlike us, they remember the past. Conquering a nation isn't easy.
If you take all what $$. The US isn't worried about the $$ AAs have. Isn't ADOS arguing that the AA don't have $ in the bank on average the deposit is between $100-200 in the bank. AAs are consumers and spend a lot of money, on average are substantially in debt (I've seen some positive changes in this area), AAs make US companies rich with paid and unpaid labor and through the judicial system.

Also, all groups talk about one another and have assumptions to say otherwise isn't telling the truth. Is it a daily basis thing or do people have to be college educated to hold certain viewpoints, nope!

Old 12-20-2019, 10:59 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
Africans know real suffering abuse and poverty -american Africans heard about it in church and school -
Africans have zero white guilt

Old 12-20-2019, 11:58 AM

1,023 posts, read 914,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Africans know real suffering abuse and poverty -american Africans heard about it in church and school -
Africans have zero white guilt
The self-inflicted kind? Congrats on your accomplishment. Clown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa