Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2019, 11:14 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,069,183 times

Advertisements

Not sure if any of you read Malcolm X's speech on Ghana and being an American

"I’m from America but I’m not an American. I didn’t go there of my own free choice. If I were an American there would be no problem, there’d be no need for legislation or civil rights or anything else. So I just try to face the fact as it actually is and come to this meeting as one of the victims of America, one of the victims of Americanism, one of the victims of democracy, one of the victims of a very hypocritical system that is going all over this earth today representing itself as being qualified to tell other people how to run their country when they can’t get the dirty things that are going on in their own country straightened out."

"I don’t feel that I am a visitor in Ghana or in any part of Africa. I feel that I am at home. I’ve been away for four hundred years, but not of my own volition, not of my own will. Our people didn’t go to America on the Queen Mary, we didn’t go by Pan American, and we didn’t go to America on the Mayflower. We went in slave ships, we went in chains. We weren’t immigrants to America, we were cargo for purposes of a system that was bent upon making a profit."

"President Nkrumah is doing something there that the government in America does not like to see done, and that is he’s restoring the African image. He is making the African proud of the African image; and whenever the African becomes proud of the African image and this positive image is projected abroad, then the Black man in America, who up to now has had nothing but a negative image of Africa — automatically the image that the Black man in America has of his African brothers changes from negative to positive, and the image that the Black man in America has of himself will also change from negative to positive."

Malcolm X at University of Ghana (May 13, 1964) ~ MALCOLM X

But the opportunity arose for King to witness the fruits of Kwame Nkrumah’s non-violent struggle to rid the Gold Coast colony of West Africa from the British. With the financial and moral support of the Montgomery Improvement Association and Dexter Avenue Baptist Church, King went to Ghana to honor the first African independence ceremony. Standing next to Coretta King, he wept as he saw the Union Jack fall and the new flag of Ghana being raised. King was overcome with the belief that, in the depth of his very being, the universe was calling for black liberation.

“Ghana tells us that the forces of the universe are on the side of justice… An old order of colonialism, of segregation, discrimination is passing away now. And a new order of justice, freedom and good will is being born,” he said.

That was the first time King publicly proclaimed his cry of freedom: “Free at last.” But we often remember this phrase being uttered as we reminisce on the day he stood on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, August 28, 1963. This association, it must be said, is deliberate.

https://daily.jstor.org/the-african-...f-mlks-vision/

Ghana and the continent of Africa play an important role for African Americans and Africans in the diaspora. Africa is the cradle of humanity and is where we descend from.

Last edited by bayarea-girl; 12-21-2019 at 11:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2019, 12:03 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,467,226 times
Yes, of course they were asked to come here. So AAs couldn't reap the benefits of the civil rights legislation they fought, bled and died for. Before then, how many Africans who weren't royalty (and who weren't brought here through slavery) were coming to these shores? The numbers on this are easy to obtain. It's funny that black immigrants are so mouthy to themselves and other black people, but they get real deferential in front of "zaddy". They invited their elite classes here because they knew they only cared about their own gain, and once you take the money and brains out the continent, the rest is spoil for your enemy.

Old 12-21-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Yes, of course they were asked to come here. So AAs couldn't reap the benefits of the civil rights legislation they fought, bled and died for. Before then, how many Africans who weren't royalty (and who weren't brought here through slavery) were coming to these shores? The numbers on this are easy to obtain. It's funny that black immigrants are so mouthy to themselves and other black people, but they get real deferential in front of "zaddy". They invited their elite classes here because they knew they only cared about their own gain, and once you take the money and brains out the continent, the rest is spoil for your enemy.
The civil rights legislation was established in when !865, 1875, 1965 which points of time are we discussing? Black immigrants have been migrating to the US before these periods and also participated in establishing & or influencing such laws (I referenced Malcolm X's mother and Farrakhan's parents as examples that they were in the US before the 70's, same with Nkrumah, Mugabe, many people). Many of the migrants were not royalty. Black immigrants aren't mouthy or put on airs to satisfy anyone and if that is your perspective then that is your perspective but we are VERY proud people and if you have an issue with this then you have an issue with this. I thought it was you who wrote that these group of people have little to no interaction with one another and only rub elbows with successful AAs now they are mouthy and critical? Am getting lost with the argument.

Many Africans went to school throughout the world in efforts to better their countries some stayed where they landed depending on which point in time, possibly as a result of war happening in their country amongst other issues. Mind you many people from other countries till this day and over centuries have gone to African countries to also be educated. Many Africans should return and to Africa and improve their countries and many do this.

You have many African governments that lent the USA A LOT of $$ and have given money to African American organizations in addition to resources. Even Gaddafi gave money.

If numbers are so easy to obtain of the number of black immigrants that came to the US point it out, then point out just how many inter-married. Point out how many AAs went to African nations. Point out how many Africans have moved back to Africa. The migrations of Africans recently is VERY small even as illegals. No police officer is going to treat an African better than an AA.

Africans no matter their status LOVE their people. Whatever the black immigrant achieved in the US they got it through their hard work and efforts and not because someone gave them anything.

Please name the benefits black immigrants have taken from African Americans. Please tell me what you don't have access to. What measures are ADOS putting on the upcoming midterm or future elections to resolve this?

Now, I'm not sure what we are debating about now?

Old 12-21-2019, 01:58 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,467,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Black immigrants aren't mouthy or put on airs to satisfy anyone and if that is your perspective then that is your perspective but we are VERY proud people and if you have an issue with this then you have an issue with this.

Oh I have no problem with it. I don't believe in subservience to anyone based on color, and if you are disrespected, you have the right to defend yourself. I'm just saying...where is all that proud chest puffing when it comes to putting the dominant class in their place? All of a sudden that balloon gets deflated. Like I said, the reason these immigrants are invited here to be guests in our country (and I don't care what the US tells you--you are always viewed as a guest) is because they are not like us in ways that matter to the dominant class.

Old 12-21-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Oh I have no problem with it. I don't believe in subservience to anyone based on color, and if you are disrespected, you have the right to defend yourself. I'm just saying...where is all that proud chest puffing when it comes to putting the dominant class in their place? All of a sudden that balloon gets deflated. Like I said, the reason these immigrants are invited here to be guests in our country (and I don't care what the US tells you--you are always viewed as a guest) is because they are not like us in ways that matter to the dominant class.
Putting the dominant class in their place? Chest puffing? Are you viewed as African American or American? If you are really American you don't have to fight for equality. Many black immigrants have joined are fighting alongside African Americans and I've and other posters have given many examples of this that you choose to diminish or ignore. You are stating things like the black immigrants have taken something from you what is that? Many Africans in and out of the continent have lost their lives fighting for freedom and we are descendants of proud people and I am a proud African no one can ever take that away from me.

Black immigrants don't have an easy road especially if they go to Europe or the US or Arab nations with limited funds. They aren't always treated well and are looked down by people with the same complexion not to mention some struggle with the language and for the most parts are treated like the African born American or European. If you aren't discussing or writing about unity I don't understand the debate who cares what groups like you or don't like you there are too many pressing issues that need to be resolved in everybody's backyard.

Last edited by bayarea-girl; 12-21-2019 at 03:27 PM..

Old 12-21-2019, 08:41 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Putting the dominant class in their place? Chest puffing? Are you viewed as African American or American? If you are really American you don't have to fight for equality. Many black immigrants have joined are fighting alongside African Americans and I've and other posters have given many examples of this that you choose to diminish or ignore. You are stating things like the black immigrants have taken something from you what is that? Many Africans in and out of the continent have lost their lives fighting for freedom and we are descendants of proud people and I am a proud African no one can ever take that away from me.

Black immigrants don't have an easy road especially if they go to Europe or the US or Arab nations with limited funds. They aren't always treated well and are looked down by people with the same complexion not to mention some struggle with the language and for the most parts are treated like the African born American or European. If you aren't discussing or writing about unity I don't understand the debate who cares what groups like you or don't like you there are too many pressing issues that need to be resolved in everybody's backyard.
The bolded part is the most important part. And yes, depending on what country they come from and what country they immigrate to their are definitely language issues when one immigrates.

Old 12-21-2019, 09:22 PM

315 posts, read 383,840 times
Quote:
Freespirit you mentioned tribalism, which is a trait people gloss over. Nearly every AA cultural custom is attributed to Africa and slavery, but somehow we didn't retain the extreme tribal mentality. How? Also interesting how Africans are more deferential to their colonizers but we aren't. Yet we supposedly come from the same people.

Tree, I agree that Africans are being extreme tribal towards AAs. African colonizers never have the same unhinged animosity and vitriol energy for so-called enemies as they do towards AAs. The incredible feats of contortionism to avoid confrontations with their so-called colonizers are Olympic level agility. On the other hand, times are changing as more and more AAs in the post Civil Rights movement are becoming unapologetically self-interested with focusing on our agenda. I love to see it. In one of my lasts posts, I referenced the slave castle in Ghana where our ancestors' extreme tribal mentality was broken during the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade. We aren't the same people in many ways when on the one hand AA history is trivialized then used against us. That's Sith level mind tricks. Speaking of which, I'm off to see Rise of Skywalker.

Old 12-22-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespiritbty View Post
Tree, I agree that Africans are being extreme tribal towards AAs. African colonizers never have the same unhinged animosity and vitriol energy for so-called enemies as they do towards AAs. The incredible feats of contortionism to avoid confrontations with their so-called colonizers are Olympic level agility. On the other hand, times are changing as more and more AAs in the post Civil Rights movement are becoming unapologetically self-interested with focusing on our agenda. I love to see it. In one of my lasts posts, I referenced the slave castle in Ghana where our ancestors' extreme tribal mentality was broken during the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade. We aren't the same people in many ways when on the one hand AA history is trivialized then used against us. That's Sith level mind tricks. Speaking of which, I'm off to see Rise of Skywalker.
You still haven't listed one thing black immigrants have done to you or the vitriol you claim is there that they have exhibited. Being that people disagree with you is not an example. No one is focusing on your agenda but you like minded community which doesn't even include the support from all African Americans. There are groups that have trivialized and minimized African American history but that is not black immigrants.

When people visit African nations (including the Caribbean and Latin America) people are very welcoming to all no matter the color. If there is anything to be gained from history and posts like this of intentional division with no intention of understanding and or reconciliation that many such divisions within communities need to be resolved. When there are opportunities where we encounter one another embrace each other, we are family!

Old 12-22-2019, 01:24 PM

Antonio from Tonetalks just had a live stream about black immigrant actors being in Star Wars a fictional alien movie. He feels that the black characters are based on African Americans, not sure how that is possible was Luke from the USA? There is a Grenadian actress in the movie that he also calls out for going to a school in the UK that costs $30k per year he tried to make correlations of her ability to go to such a school and the wealth gap of African Americans and he doesn't know if she got a full scholarship, not sure why he is pocket watchin? He BTW went to UCLA and Loyola Marymount (not cheap Universities btw). He went further to claim that Hollywood is on a mission to disenfranchise or diminish AA acting roles. White actors and directors have been making films in Hollywood for years and African Americans have been playing African roles for many years. Black immigrants aren't going out of their way to publicly disparage African Americans or ADOS the vitrial so far from what I am seeing is one sided. If anyone comes across a black immigrant posting like nonsense let's please also call this out.

Harry Belafonte and Sidney Poitier mind you for example are from the Caribbean (black immigrants) and were and are political activists.

It almost seems like a lot of rhetoric is intentional so that AAs and black immigrants can dislike and most likely have some sort of a physical altercation on purpose especially since so many AAs are traveling to other parts of the world. Can't wait for ADOS to disappear (his video was taken down so can't post it here). Hoping that no one is falling for this divisive nonsense as it seems as though these people have lost their mission and focus for reparations and they are simply haters. If you don't like the acting roles in Hollywood make your own movies nothing is stopping you. Tyler Perry is part of the Hollywood community and gives many AAs acting roles. People these claims the "leaders" of the ADOS movement are making are purely out of jealousy and don't deal with logic or aspects of unifying its followers and doesn't strengthen the larger community.

Last edited by bayarea-girl; 12-22-2019 at 01:48 PM..

Old 12-22-2019, 03:54 PM

315 posts, read 383,840 times
Quote:
I actually don't really care what they do, but I will definitely pump the brakes when they want to criticize the people who made it possible for them to be here in the first place, which is AAs. That isn't part of their history package when they take their oath to this country. They're here primarily to displace AAs economically, and because they are easier for the dominant class to deal with.

Okay, but what is it doing for Africa? If the African Union was strong, there wouldn't be foreign nations staking their claim on African soil. There is no excuse for this. None.

This point about black immigrants criticizing AAs who made it possible for them to immigrate to America is a fair one needing to be made. That goes back to keeping the same energy point. You're right about black immigrants displacing AAs economically while becoming willing tools for the dominant class. AAs who are immigrating to countries like Ghana are classified as obruni, which means outsiders. But even as obruni, they're treated differently than white obruni. Ghanaians would never allow AAs to treat them in that manner in which AAs have experienced from black immigrants in America.

On the other side of the coin, certain African nations must have missed colonization since they actively allowed new foreign nations to gain a foothold in their countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa