Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 09:39 AM

273 posts, read 587,340 times

Advertisements

ACH!! --- came on to see if anyone knows the kid flying the plane this morning in Palmer----(apparently not)--

Ray, the link you are giving has Southeast listed, but only the Unit 1D portion.
The "guest" in question was hunting UNIT 2, which is a whole 'nother issue.
Ms Met is right as usual----bait stations for Blck Bears are simply wrong down here.
(and so is that idiot Nugent)

Old 04-30-2012, 09:51 AM

And we're not in need of "Predator Control"...Thank you very much.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I haven't been in SE Alaska, but while trails are easy to follow, tracking a bear is not unless it's leaving blood, paw prints, etc., behind. In forested areas of the interior of Alaska, or on the tundra, there is a very thing layer of vegetation where it's extremely difficult to tell if a bear of any kind has just walked on. It takes an expert tracker to track a bear without a blood trail

Sorry, but one more thing. Black Bears in SE poop ALOT. Easiest things in the world to track. If this one had an arrow glance off his rib or whatever, trust me, he would have left a scat trail.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:12 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrennie View Post
And we're not in need of "Predator Control"...Thank you very much.
Ray...the only thing that bears prey on down here except for domestic goats is salmon. Unlike you, we don't care much for river fish, so the bears are welcome to them.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:41 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Please expound? What would a real city be like? I live in Anchorage and I find it to be very real. Real people, real houses, real streets, real wildlife.
Perhaps my emphasis should have been on the word "city".

I know in terms of a dictionary or strict legalistic definition, Anchorage may qualify as a "city" but compared to other "cities" on a national scale, such as Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Minneapolis, it doesn't. Besides population, Anchorage doesn't have the economic wealth and diversity, the educational and cultural amenities, transportation infrastructure, or tourist appeal of the cities I mentioned and many others.

I used to live in Anchorage and I stiil work in Anchorage. I'm not saying it as a swipe or a putdown but merely as a point of fact relative to my above statement.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:17 PM

811 posts, read 1,316,796 times
On the 1st page of this thread I posted Ted, words on what happened in AK. Ted admitted his guit, he was charged, fined, he has is paying his due to society on his shows due to this.

Ted broke a adfg law, an had his day in court and was sentenced and fined. Now in that same adfg book of laws also allows people to use bait for bears when hunting. Just because some don't think people should use bait to hunt certain animal, it is in the adfg laws and it is legal.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:08 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
No one said it was illegal. What the three people who actually know something about the area in question have said (hi, Wrennie, it's good to see you back) is that bear-baiting really isn't a necessary practice in SE. And other hunters, such as Glitch, who seems to know what he's talking about more than most, agree with us that it's an unethical practice. So? Plenty of people disagree with existing laws of all different types.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
No one said it was illegal. What the three people who actually know something about the area in question have said (hi, Wrennie, it's good to see you back) is that bear-baiting really isn't a necessary practice in SE. And other hunters, such as Glitch, who seems to know what he's talking about more than most, agree with us that it's an unethical practice. So? Plenty of people disagree with existing laws of all different types.
There are places on POW where you can rent the cabins and do your own hunts, so people who may only have 1 week would like to fill there tag and take some meat home. Others may live in the area and know the place very well and know where to go and hunt/find the bears. Just as long as regs are followed it is cool.

Just like dipnetting people want to get some fish for the freeze if not they would of been using a fishing pole for just the sport of it.

Well get the petitions you need to change it and why at it get the death penalty petition going at the same time.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:49 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,801,965 times
Baiting animals to shoot them is not hunting, it's killing. No sport at all, not even close to a level playing field.

Oh......sorry......my bad. We don't hunt or kill animals up here....we "harvest them and then process them".

A much more gentler and PC term for those who think cows are born in shrink wrap plastic trays in the meat depts....

Old 04-30-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
Baiting animals to shoot them is not hunting, it's killing. No sport at all, not even close to a level playing field.

Oh......sorry......my bad. We don't hunt or kill animals up here....we "harvest them and then process them".

A much more gentler and PC term for those who think cows are born in shrink wrap plastic trays in the meat depts....
Hunting wild game is and was to feed the family, baiting or not baiting it was wild game.

Be honest the meat, cows, pigs, chickens, fish all had a face at one time.
Killing is what we did as part of living on the farm cows we shot in the head or used a 12" air spike like the slaughter houses used.
Pigs we would slit there throats and bleed them out and save the blood for (blood sausage), chickens we put in cones, cut there throats in a C but not the windpipe and let them bleed out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska