Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 07:38 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,205,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrennie View Post
ACH!! --- came on to see if anyone knows the kid flying the plane this morning in Palmer----(apparently not)--

Ray, the link you are giving has Southeast listed, but only the Unit 1D portion.
The "guest" in question was hunting UNIT 2, which is a whole 'nother issue.
Ms Met is right as usual----bait stations for Blck Bears are simply wrong down here.
(and so is that idiot Nugent)
Why are bait stations wrong in that area? Just because some of you don't like bait stations? Who do you think set-up Ted Nugent's bait station, himself or some of the locals?

Last edited by RayinAK; 04-30-2012 at 07:47 PM..

Old 04-30-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Ray...the only thing that bears prey on down here except for domestic goats is salmon. Unlike you, we don't care much for river fish, so the bears are welcome to them.
A predator is a predator, regardless of what their prey is.

As a predator myself, I like salmon regardless of where they are, for example for the fun of it I catch some with a graphite fishing rod and 10-pound line near the mouth of the Ninilchik, Kenai, Depp Creek, or just dip net around 80 miles upstream on the Copper. I haven't had any salmon from the Yukon, but like Copper River salmon it's supposed to be one of the best in Alaska.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
Right, I've said that- but to be guilty of the Lacey Act is to be guilty of transporting an illegally killed bear over state lines. So he is admitting to the Feds that he broke AK laws. We chose to not charge him.
That's incorrect, the Federal government does not have to wait for the State to charge you for the offense, as you can see in the case of Ted Nugent. He was never charged by State officials.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:54 PM

811 posts, read 1,318,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
A predator is a predator, regardless of what their prey is.

As a predator myself, I like salmon regardless of where they are, for example for the fun of it I catch some with a graphite fishing rod and 10-pound line near the mouth of the Ninilchik, Kenai, Depp Creek, or just dip net around 80 miles upstream on the Copper. I haven't had any salmon from the Yukon, but like Copper River salmon it's supposed to be one of the best in Alaska.
The Copper River salmon are yummy. Gota love them fresh one out of the fish wheel pens on the Copper River. Best salmon I ever had.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
No one said it was illegal. What the three people who actually know something about the area in question have said (hi, Wrennie, it's good to see you back) is that bear-baiting really isn't a necessary practice in SE. And other hunters, such as Glitch, who seems to know what he's talking about more than most, agree with us that it's an unethical practice. So? Plenty of people disagree with existing laws of all different types.
It does not matter some people consider bear baiting unnecessary. Since it's legal, as long as the hunter considers such, "necessary," he or she can very well do so. If one wants to hunt from a tree-branch, or from a rock, that's good, too

Old 04-30-2012, 08:03 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,755,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Why are bait stations wrong in that area? Just because some of you don't like bait stations? Who do you think set-up Ted Nugent's bait station, himself or some of the locals?
Who were his guides?

Old 04-30-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
Baiting animals to shoot them is not hunting, it's killing. No sport at all, not even close to a level playing field.

Oh......sorry......my bad. We don't hunt or kill animals up here....we "harvest them and then process them".

A much more gentler and PC term for those who think cows are born in shrink wrap plastic trays in the meat depts....
a. Hunting takes the killing of an animal.

b. Hunting is not a sport. If you consider hunting a sport, then you don't know what hunting is.

c. Not even close to a playing field? What do you want hunters to do, tackle the bears and then scratch and bite them to death? How about tickling the bear to death?

d. We don't kill animals up here? What do we do, stuff them in a burlap bag, take them home alive, and let them die of a natural causes inside the bag?

----------Here is how we do it "up here:"

We use spears to kill whales and seals, guns, and bows and arrows to hunt. We catch salmon out at sea and rip the gills out to let them bleed, on shore we bunk them on the head with a stick to "put them into a deeeep sleep," we shoot large halibut after reeling them next to our boats, we shoot all kinds of wild animals through the lungs, or heart, or head....All of these, we kill. Fishing, hunting, or your so called, harvesting, all are "killing."

We kill from trees, from tree stands, from boats, from high points (rocky areas, and the rest), standing on the ground, and even from the air (F&G).

Last edited by RayinAK; 04-30-2012 at 08:32 PM..

Old 04-30-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Who were his guides?
I don't know the details, but I am certain that he did not materialize himself from thin air right onto that bait station

Besides, if you search the Net you will find several bear-guiding operations in that area of SE. I am not saying that one of these outfitters took him there, but that boats are used to spot bears from, then the clients get on shore and politically correctly " harvest them." Can't drive them trucks near the shore of some of those islands, you know...too many tress in the way

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Last edited by RayinAK; 04-30-2012 at 08:36 PM..

Old 04-30-2012, 08:42 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,755,519 times
You claimed they were local guides, Ray. Did Google tell you that too? I know all of the local bear guides personally........

Old 04-30-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
You claimed they were local guides, Ray. Did Google tell you that too? I know all of the local bear guides personally........
I never said that some "local guides' took him there. All I said is that some of the locals must have taken him there. By local, I don't mean "guide" or not. Maybe he has some family, friends, etc., in the area? No idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska