Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 08:55 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times

Advertisements

Ray, I have a headache, and this thread seems to contain an explosion of synthetic testosterone. You'll have to carry on without me this evening, although I must say that the last sentence fragment in your post above mine is quite correct.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:24 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Ray, I have a headache, and this thread seems to contain an explosion of synthetic testosterone. You'll have to carry on without me this evening, although I must say that the last sentence fragment in your post above mine is quite correct.
Just imagine that I didn't even have to had my nightly cup of wine with dinner, tonight. I need to drive to Squarebanks, so will have to have it later

Old 04-30-2012, 09:25 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
Baiting animals to shoot them is not hunting, it's killing.
Exactly. It makes sense if you're needing the animal for subsistence purposes, but it's kind of pathetic to do it for a trophy, or to look like a big man on a TV show.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:39 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,880,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
That's incorrect, the Federal government does not have to wait for the State to charge you for the offense, as you can see in the case of Ted Nugent. He was never charged by State officials.
Ray, I'm going to get a frying pan and help out your wife . (To those who know us in this forum, this is not a personal attack or anything like that. It's just a long running joke on here.) I know he wasn't charged in the state. I've said that several times.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:24 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Exactly. It makes sense if you're needing the animal for subsistence purposes, but it's kind of pathetic to do it for a trophy, or to look like a big man on a TV show.
In reality it does not matter what reasons are used to kills a bear as long as the hunting rules relating to the meat, hide and skull are followed. If the person does not want to eat the meat, he or she can legally transfer it in writing to an organization, to a person, etc., and then go through the process of sealing the hide and skull. There is nothing wrong with trophy hunting if that's what the person wants to do, including hunting for a show.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:27 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
Default If Nugent Was Half The Hunter This Guy Is...

Case Number: 12-35081
Type: Bear Mauling, non-fatal

Text: On 4/28/12, at approximately 1830 hours a bear mauling occurred
in the southern part of Kodiak Island. Rodd A. Moretz, age 48 from
Fairbanks, was approaching a brown bear he had just killed. While
approaching the dead animal, he walked past a bear den approximately
100 yards from his kill. A Kodiak brown bear charged out of the den at
him. Moretz tried to evade the charging bear; however, the bear pounced
on him and both rolled down a hill approximately 50 feet. During the
fall, the bear and Moretz separated. Once the two stopped rolling the
bear ran back to its den. No shots were fired from Moretz. Moretz was
bitten on the head during the brief encounter and received minor scalp
injuries. Moretz?s 13 year old son was present during the attack. He
fell down in the alders while trying to evade the bear and was not
injured. Moretz?s son assisted his father by bandaging the injuries.
Moretz was able to skin and salvage the bear he had killed. Moretz was
flown out on the morning of the 29th to Kodiak by Andrew Air. Moretz
went to ADFG to seal his bear before going to Kodiak Providence for
treatment.

Received Monday, April 30, 2012 1:19 PM and posted Monday, April 30, 2012 1:15 PM

Old 04-30-2012, 11:31 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Yay. Go bears.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:25 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
In reality it does not matter what reasons are used to kills a bear as long as the hunting rules relating to the meat, hide and skull are followed. If the person does not want to eat the meat, he or she can legally transfer it in writing to an organization, to a person, etc., and then go through the process of sealing the hide and skull. There is nothing wrong with trophy hunting if that's what the person wants to do, including hunting for a show.
Ray, I realize you are having trouble with the distinction, but just because something is legal doesn't mean I or anyone else has to consider it respectable. In my opinion baiting an animal so you can feel macho and hang pieces of it on the wall is just sad. I am pro-hunting but I think that when one takes a life it should be for a greater purpose than getting your rocks off, or, like, interior decorating.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:40 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,880,776 times
Quote:
Ray, I realize you are having trouble with the distinction, but just because something is legal doesn't mean I or anyone else has to consider it respectable. In my opinion baiting an animal so you can feel macho and hang pieces of it on the wall is just sad. I am pro-hunting but I think that when one takes a life it should be for a greater purpose than getting your rocks off, or, like, interior decorating.
I agree, I would only hunt if I needed the meat. I've never eaten bear but it just doesn't sound appetizing, even though bears are related to pigs, aren't they? I like moose and buffalo. I wouldn't have enough freezer space for all the meat though.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:09 AM

811 posts, read 1,316,796 times
Quote:
10,000 of thousands of animal are trapped in AK every year with bait then killed for there fur, carcass tossed off to the side and then pelts sold. It is legal and people don't eat the meat at least most people who take black bear eat the the meat. A $30,000 brown bear hunt you kill the bear takes it hide and leave the carcass in the field, it is legal. Hunting and sport fishing bring a TON of money into Alaska every year.

How about the Salmon that are trapped in the gill nets and drown, then taken to market for processing for sale on the open market. I think they need to add a very heavy tax on companies that take from the Natural Resources for resale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska