Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 06:22 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I just think that mechanical methods (like nets, screens, lure lights, etc) might be equally effective as the chemicals. And if people are really concerned about those countries where all the people are dying, why not do something to help improve their quality of life and medical care, rather than complaining about a ban on a toxic chemical?
That's just it. It was NEVER banned for vector control.

The mechanical methods you mentioned have unfortunately failed--they were tried.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:24 PM

115 posts, read 366,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Whoops--I need to edit my post. I mistook you for Moose Hollow.

Once again, since no one is getting it, crop dusting and indoor pesticide use are two very different processes with very different environmental effects.
I know the difference between crop dusting and indoor pesticide use. Crop dusting was never an issue until you brought it up and how do indoor pesticides solve third world malaria? I stand by my original comment. "There must be a better way." Oh and by the way, Missingall4seasons is right! Now take a chill pill and enjoy those eagles that are souring above your great state! I know, my spelling sucks!

Old 05-15-2008, 06:26 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,948,962 times
Quote:
That's just it. It was NEVER banned for vector control.

The mechanical methods you mentioned have unfortunately failed--they were tried.
So, use as vector control wasn't banned but apparently it isn't working... why would home use be any different? Especially considering that many of these countries we're talking about don't have significantly structured homes in many cases.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
I know the difference between crop dusting and indoor pesticide use. Crop dusting was never an issue until you brought it up and how do indoor pesticides solve third world malaria?
The link that I posted earlier answers one of your questions. They have quite an effect on reducing malaria.

I realize that this wasn't about crop dusting but I wanted to point out the difference between the two practises because it was crop dusting, and not malaria control, that resulted on ddt being banned. And again, it never was banned for malaria control.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
So, use as vector control wasn't banned but apparently it isn't working... why would home use be any different? Especially considering that many of these countries we're talking about don't have significantly structured homes in many cases.
I posted a link from the World Health Association. I think it answers your questions. It's back a page or two now.

Quote:
So, use as vector control wasn't banned but apparently it isn't working...
It wasn't banned but was hardly used due to economic pressures et al. Now, the World Health Association is urging 3rd world countries with malaria problems to resume it's use.

I'm not exactly agruing for the use of DDT here. This started out because I pointed out that it was never banned for vector control. I'm just trying to supply some facts here, and that's all. So please read the link I posted and draw your own conclusions.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 05-15-2008 at 07:47 PM..

Old 05-15-2008, 06:47 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,948,962 times
I've read the WHO article. The only thing I suspect is a little short-sighted is that more people may actually die of starvation/malnutrition if a portion of the population is not dying of natural causes (i.e. malaria, et al). If the population decrease is removed/resolved many of these countries still do not have the physical resources to support the increased population. That's not a political stance or rebuttal... that's just plain looking at the numbers again.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:49 PM

Perhaps so. I'm glad you read the article. I still can't blame them for wanting to keep their children alive.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:01 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,889,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
This is a classic eco-fanatic example, lets kill millions of humans to save a few birds. Hitler would've been proud of your position. Why don't you propose slaughtering another couple million humans in order to save your precious polar bears? Humans that have such a deep hatred toward other human beings that they prefer to see them killed by the millions are truly mentally deranged.
Jesus Christ Glitch, did you actually just compare someone with a different view than you to a fascist dictator who was directly responsible for the religious genocide of six million people? Do you have any idea how offensive that is?
I believe that according to Godwin's law, you have just forfeited your argument. Congratulations.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:19 PM

115 posts, read 366,485 times
Quote:
The link that I posted earlier answers one of your questions. They have quite an effect on reducing malaria.

I realize that this wasn't about crop dusting but I wanted to point out the difference between the two practises because it was crop dusting, and not malaria control, that resulted on ddt being banned. And again, it never was banned for malaria control.
I did see your post and the link and I have saved it to read later. At this point though, I do think bobbing for french fry's sounds good. Just joking! Lets all lighten up a little!

Old 05-15-2008, 07:31 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,569,354 times
This is what happens, I'm using mercury as an example......mercury is dumped into waterways, the fish of course absorb this mercury...then the birds eat the fish, mercury levels are absorbed into the bird...then a mammal eats the bird that ingested that mercury-laden fish...whatever mammal doesn't matter.....then a human eats the mammal that has consumed the bird that consumed the fish that absorbed the mercury. The mercury increases in toxicity as it's absorbed into fat. Sooooo, once humans become a part of this food chain, the mercury levels have risen to an alarming & potentially fatal degree. THIS is why certain chemicals should be banned or highly monitored, for those of you who are so concerned w/humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska