Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 09:53 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,886,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Now I'm pi$$ed:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/portl...-portland.html

Really, really so.

I'm seein' red.
Take a deep breath, and watch the South Park episode. It will make you feel better!

Old 05-13-2008, 10:04 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
I used to work at a shelter for street kids.

That whole attitude makes me so sick. People don't want to see them...don't want to know they are there. And they're ...prey.

I remember one who couldn't go home. She was fifteen. Her mother's boyfriend....well, she couldn't go home.

She ****ing froze to death one night in the park about a mile from my house.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
I used to work at a shelter for street kids.

That whole attitude makes me so sick. People don't want to see them...don't want to know they are there. And they're ...prey.

I remember one who couldn't go home. She was fifteen. Her mother's boyfriend....well, she couldn't go home.

She ****ing froze to death one night in the park about a mile from my house.
I know, I know, there's no excuse for that attitude. But getting all riled up over what people on a forum say about it isn't going to solve anything. Those people aren't going to listen to you because they are incapable of putting themselves in other people's shoes. They can't possibly imagine what it might be like to have no place to go home to, to have to rely on the meager scraps other people throw away to survive, to be scared of your own family.
Just ignore them.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:32 PM

I can't change what some ignorant fool says on an internet forum. But maybe one person out there will read what I said and not be so judgmental of the next street kid they see.

thanks, Xa'at..this issue is probably my major button.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:07 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,561,646 times
I read his post kinda quickly so maybe I didn't thoroughly absorb it, but maybe because of all the homeless kids he saw there he couldn't understand why Portland is considered so liberal.....as in, liberals tend to be more sympathetic to homelessness & actually do something about it. So, I suspect he didn't expect to see such a high rate of homelessness considering how highly Portland is rated as a liberal area. Does this make sense?

Old 05-14-2008, 03:43 PM

I got that too, Karfar. But the poster inferred that the "liberals" of Portland are the ones who've let these kids down...when the budget cuts et al that have really had an adverse effect on the situation were all done in the name of "compassionate conservatism". Most it involved federal money.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:04 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,999,427 times
Quote:
That's fine, Satch, if you don't want to discuss the fact that Lindzen is an oil wh ore sellout, don't bring up his name and then we won't have that little problem. Just don't expect me to discuss sports or some such...we'll have to talk about hooch instead, I guess.
Lindzen is absolutely NOT a "sellout." That is pure bunk tossed around by enviro-nuts who don't want the truth to get out. Lindzen is 100% correct about this fraud but hey, you are definitely entitled to your opinion.

Quote:
I would have thought that as a father you would care about making sure your daughter inherits the best possible earth she could. But hey, a bunch of ugly guys are throwing around a piece of dead animal on a court, that's clearly more important.
I do want the best for my daughter. And that means making sure that idiot politicians don't go raising taxes and imposing regulations that will have a severely negative impact on the economy to fight a nonexistent problem. Anthropogenic global warming is right up there with the Loch Ness monster in terms of actual truth.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:05 PM

Speaking of blackberries, blackberry daiquiris are sublime with a touch of pomegranate liqueur.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
I do want the best for my daughter. And that means making sure that idiot politicians don't go raising taxes and imposing regulations that will have a severely negative impact on the economy to fight a nonexistent problem. Anthropogenic global warming is right up there with the Loch Ness monster in terms of actual truth.
Don't you care at all that you could be wrong?
Think about it this way: if 99% of the scientists right now turn out, miraculously, to be wrong, and anthropogenic global warming isn't real- what will we have lost? Some money, a slightly weakened economy. Big whoop. In the long run, money can't buy lives back.
But if we're right, we're destroying the planet, and progress isn't taken because people like you refuse to admit that which slaps you in the face, think about the ruined world that your daughter and her children will inherit.
I just can't believe that you would be willing to take that chance.

Last edited by Xa'at; 05-14-2008 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-14-2008, 04:10 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,945,346 times
I got a new prescription for my glasses & its hard to do some things, like shooting. So when are you running for mayor, Satch?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska