Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 02:05 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,569,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Yup. It caused the egg shells to become paper thin or something.
Yes, that's true. The shells became much too fragile to incubate the embryo so they were all dying off. The eagles were laying eggs but none of them were viable due to the chemicals.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:34 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
Thank G-d DDT and other pesticides were forbidden in most parts of the world...
DDT was used with great effect to control mosquitoes spreading malaria, typhus, and other insect-borne diseases. Because DDT was irresponsibly banned world-wide, millions of people that could have been saved have died. A classic example where human life is considered expendable for the overall eco-agenda.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:44 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
The use of DDT for control of insects that transport malaria, et al, is exempted from the ban.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Hollow View Post
Understand! Now on a more favorable note...Hurray for the Polar Bear! Good news I hope!
I wonder if you will consider it "good news" when the price of gasoline, and your natural gas prices increase as a result of putting the polar bear on the threatened list. This was only the beginning for the eco-fanatics. The next step is to sue to death anyone considering any oil or natural gas, or ANY kind of development in the polar bear habitat. Kiss goodbye the Alaska Natural Gas pipeline, that will never happen now. Even the existing oil wells that have been in operation for 31 years will be threatened now. This was a disastrous decision for the entire nation.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:45 PM

115 posts, read 366,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
DDT was used with great effect to control mosquitoes spreading malaria, typhus, and other insect-borne diseases. Because DDT was irresponsibly banned world-wide, millions of people that could have been saved have died. A classic example where human life is considered expendable for the overall eco-agenda.
Glitch,

Do you know how many people were hurt by injesting the stuff though? I mean, sure I'm still alive, but when I was a wee one, the mosquito sprayers use to come down the neighborhood street and spray and never, did we ever get a warning to stay inside and shut the windows and doors. That DDT spray didn't just stop malaria and typhus by killing the mosquitoes, it did other damage. You cannot deny it's adverse effects. Did you ever stop and think that maybe the disadvantages outweighed the advantages or maybe the scientific community wasn't as well educated about the chemical back then as they may possibly be today? Have you ever read a label on a container of DDT? Man has created many chemicals to this day that they know nothing about, good or bad. Ever figured out why there aren't as many MSDS sheets as there are chemicals?

Old 05-15-2008, 04:46 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,961,623 times
I'm sure that its just temporary BS for the election.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:49 PM

115 posts, read 366,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I wonder if you will consider it "good news" when the price of gasoline, and your natural gas prices increase as a result of putting the polar bear on the threatened list. This was only the beginning for the eco-fanatics. The next step is to sue to death anyone considering any oil or natural gas, or ANY kind of development in the polar bear habitat. Kiss goodbye the Alaska Natural Gas pipeline, that will never happen now. Even the existing oil wells that have been in operation for 31 years will be threatened now. This was a disastrous decision for the entire nation.
Don't cry wolf yet! You might just be putting the cart before the horse!

Old 05-15-2008, 04:51 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
Do you know how many people were hurt by injesting the stuff though? I mean, sure I'm still alive, but when I was a wee one, the mosquito sprayers use to come down the neighborhood street and spray and never, did we ever get a warning to stay inside and shut the windows and doors. That DDT spray didn't just stop malaria and typhus by killing the mosquitoes, it did other damage. You cannot deny it's adverse effects. Did you ever stop and think that maybe the disadvantages outweighed the advantages or maybe the scientific community wasn't as well educated about the chemical back then as they may possibly be today? Have you ever read a label on a container of DDT? Man has created many chemicals to this day that they know nothing about, good or bad. Ever figured out why there aren't as many MSDS sheets as there are chemicals?
Again, the use of DDT is not banned worldwide. It is still used in quite a few places for vector control. Though Glitch is right in that millions of people have died of malaria since it's general ban for agricultural purposes.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:51 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,961,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
It is still used in quite a few places for vector control.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Hollow View Post
Glitch,

Because a few birds have their eggshells adversely effected you are trying to tell me that is ample justification for killing millions of humans? Truly amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska