Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 01:28 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,836,062 times

Advertisements

Yup. It caused the egg shells to become paper thin or something.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:30 PM

115 posts, read 366,485 times
I thought so...now I'm really showing my age!

Old 05-15-2008, 01:31 PM

1,331 posts, read 3,000,694 times
Here are some good articles:

Bring Back DDT!

The DDT Insecticide Ban... What Was the Truth Behind it?

The Straight Dope: Was Rachel Carson a fraud and is DDT actually safe for humans?

Just like what is going on with this ridiculous global warming hysteria, DDT was banned based upon emotion and not the facts. The big difference is that Chicken Little Al Gore's nonsense could conceivably cost billions of dollars and hamstring our economy to fight a 'phantom menace'. (I couldn't resist)

Old 05-15-2008, 01:34 PM

Satch,

Don't you think it was important because of the adverse effects on just the bald eagle alone? Especially in Alaska where bald eagles are so popular!

Old 05-15-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Hollow View Post
Satch,

Don't you think it was important because of the adverse effects on just the bald eagle alone? Especially in Alaska where bald eagles are so popular!
The answer is quite simple, don't use it here. However, in Africa where millions die every year due to mosquito-borne malaria, it should definitely be used. The facts about DDT stand in direct contravention of Carson's claims. I watched a show the other day about how Rachel Carson's writings have been proven to be utterly wrong over the past 40 years.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
The answer is quite simple, don't use it here. However, in Africa where millions die every year due to mosquito-borne malaria, it should definitely be used. The facts about DDT stand in direct contravention of Carson's claims. I watched a show the other day about how Rachel Carson's writings have been proven to be utterly wrong over the past 40 years.
I was just concerned with the use of DDT on wildlife not to mention possible human adverse effects. I have to ask though, playing the devils advocate...why is it okay to use DDT in third world countries to combat mosquitoes but not here in the United States? If the chemical is proven bad for lets say for the sake of argument (or discussion); the American Bald Eagle, how do we know it isn't bad on some other bird of prey or raptor flying around in a third world country? Why not introduce a species of swallow to combat mosquitoes as an example instead of a chemical? Don't we have enough chemicals in this world that we cannot dispose of correctly without bringing back those that we have already eliminated in our society? As for Rachel Carson, I have not qualifications to speak about her having never heard of her before. I guess I've been living under a rock all of these years.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:48 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,948,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
The answer is quite simple, don't use it here. However, in Africa where millions die every year due to mosquito-borne malaria, it should definitely be used.
I think the obvious assumption and motivation here is that human life and quality of health is more important than any other species on the planet. Many people believe this way, and those who don't have ZERO chance convincing them otherwise. There are several products and artifically created chemical concoctions in use to improve human life, and supposedly health, that have never been properly tested (if tested at all) to determine the long-term effects on the entire eco-system. Since humans very often forget (or choose to ignore) that they are also a part of this eco-system and that their actions do have an impact up and down the food chain, they just go about business as usual with nary a second thought. As long as their life is fine, there is no problem (well, until there is a problem -- and then they whine about how the gov't or someone should have done something).

The only thing left to do is for the people who are concerned to take as much personal accountability, responsibility and action on the individual and, perhaps, like-minded community level. If those people can responsibly educate (NOT freak out and alarm) any fence-sitters who seem open to seeing a different perspective, that's just an extra bonus!

Old 05-15-2008, 01:53 PM

Satch,

You don't have to live in Africa to contract Malaria! I contracted a mild case in the early 1970's up in Maine. I certainly didn't advocate back then that they should renew the spraying of DDT.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Hollow View Post
Satch,

You don't have to live in Africa to contract Malaria! I contracted a mild case in the early 1970's up in Maine. I certainly didn't advocate back then that they should renew the spraying of DDT.
The difference between getting it here and there is obviously the availability of proper medical care. However, if you read the articles that I posted, DDT's negative aspects were completely and totally overstated and it's effectiveness in controlling mosquitos is unmatched.

Damn that Swede guy, he got me started on this DDT thing. However, given that the info put forth in the media about it is all wrong, I felt the need to comment.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:59 PM

Understand! Now on a more favorable note...Hurray for the Polar Bear! Good news I hope!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska