Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do folks in Alaska feel about Gov. Palin
I support Gov Palin. Voting McCain in 2008 32 42.11%
I do not support Gov. Palin. Voting Obama in 2008 29 38.16%
Both equally bad, were Doomed 15 19.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 06:05 AM

25 posts, read 90,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Maybe Todd Palin will run for his seat.
... Maybe Toddie should run for the Mr. Hanson, who bad haircut and all, was running for Sarah's seat ....

Old 10-28-2008, 07:42 AM

1,120 posts, read 2,592,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Maybe Todd Palin will run for his seat.

Why not Levi Johnston? Hey, the kid needs a job.

If Sarah Palin is qualified to be VP, Levi Johnston is certainly qualified to be a United States Senator.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:51 AM

1,120 posts, read 2,592,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
Lets get out of here...!

Whatcha gonna do when they come for you? Bad boy, bad boy, bad boy.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:33 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,024,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notreesininceland View Post
in other words, values, integrity & honesty mean nothing.. .
Okay already, we allready understand why you are voting for Obama.

Quote:
But it is amusing to see the contortions of ideologues as they try to square Uncle Ted's circle.
There are no contortions here. Stevens was simply found guilty of not reporting some things on a disclosure form. Not for stealing money, not for exchanging those items for politcal favors, and not even for using his office to solicit those gifts.

Yes, I will give him a pass on that.

Are you going to honestly tell me you have never in your life failed to report something on your 10-40, or any other govt form for that matter?

Old 10-28-2008, 09:52 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,921,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post

There are no contortions here. Stevens was simply found guilty of not reporting some things on a disclosure form. Not for stealing money, not for exchanging those items for politcal favors, and not even for using his office to solicit those gifts.

Are you going to honestly tell me you have never in your life failed to report something on your 10-40, or any other govt form for that matter?
Come on now! Each of these convictions carrys a possible 5-7 year sentence. That is hardly an innocent little mishap. The guy is a senator people. He is granted special powers and with those powers comes many ethical conduct laws.

Would a judge who took $500,000 in gifts (and that is all they know about) from those who need his decision, be just a little something he forgot to report?

Again, look at Stevens family! His snot nosed kid, to be specific, is a multi-millionaire and the little twerp has never lifted a finger in his life! This kind of crap does not bother you? Seriously, be honest with yourself for once. This kind of stuff is what is wrong with politics in America today, so wrong! I'm a conservative Republican too, I hate it when it is a member of the party I support. But a spade is still a spade and a thief is still a thief. Money is the root of all evil and old Uncle Ted got caught up in it.
If, as others here have suggested, you need to vote for him to instigate a special election, then so be it. Anything to prevent a liberal Democrat from being in there. However, Ted's days as a senator need to come to an end. His was found guilty, by overwhelming, undisputable evidence.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:05 AM

2,397 posts, read 4,703,178 times
Well lets see people do make bad mistakes in life. We had a President who denied that he had sex with someone under oath and he didn't do time for it. So I really don't see why Sen Stevens should do it either. I feel he should pay a fine for this. If people think we should lock people up for this then we diefinitely should be locking up the people on wall street that swindled all that money. We bailed them out for what so they could continue to have their million dollar spa retreats. Which is B*** S***. They don't have to worry about it though because we just let that go as status quo.
And there are others who just haven't gotten caught in Washington. If we lock all them up Washington would be a ghost town. And so would Wall Street

Old 10-28-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
His was found guilty, by overwhelming, undisputable evidence.
There was nothing "undisputable" about it. By their own admission, the prosecutors botched up several things, other evidence got thrown out, and the rest relies on the prosecutor's subjective opinion that Steven's didn't pay enough. There are enough holes in this case to drive a truck through. Untill all of the final appeals are completed, preferably not in front of a Clinton appointed judge, I'm not buying any of it.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:19 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,270,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Would my not voting for Obama have lead you to a different view then? (on Ted Stevens)

Quote:

This is specious thinking. In an ideal world every violation of the law - from peccadillos involving stealing a cookie to bigger crimes of corruption or murder - would be dealt proportionate justice and punishment. But it is not an ideal world, never will be. In the real world, choices are made and gravity of the violations is assessed based on several paramaters such as impact to the larger society, public trust etc. Reasonable people conclude that stealing a cookie is worth giving a pass in most instances or given at best a slap on the wrist whereas embezzling $250,000 or its equivalent must come with more severe consequences. I am surprised I have to explain these elementary matters to you. At any rate, CarolinaCowboy is not voting for Obama and you are gently nudged toward his response:-)

Old 10-28-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
This is specious thinking. In an ideal world every violation of the law - from peccadillos involving stealing a cookie to bigger crimes of corruption or murder - would be dealt proportionate justice and punishment. But it is not an ideal world, never will be. In the real world, choices are made and gravity of the violations is assessed based on several paramaters such as impact to the larger society, public trust etc. Reasonable people conclude that stealing a cookie is worth giving a pass in most instances or given at best a slap on the wrist whereas embezzling $250,000 or its equivalent must come with more severe consequences. I am surprised I have to explain these elementary matters to you. At any rate, CarolinaCowboy is not voting for Obama and you are gently nudged toward his response:-)
Steven's wasn't convicted of embezzlement, so your entire statement is specious and irrelevant.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurorawatcher View Post
We had a President who denied that he had sex with someone under oath and he didn't do time for it.
And undoubtedly many of this current crop of high-and-mighty critics now spouting their self-rightous piety were the very same crowd who argued that Bill Clinton was impeached on a bunch of "trumped up technicalities" and in any case, it was a "personal" matter and therefore not worthy of judgment. In other words, they gave him a pass. People including Dianne Feinstein, Al Gore, Ted Kennedey...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska