Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do folks in Alaska feel about Gov. Palin
I support Gov Palin. Voting McCain in 2008 32 42.11%
I do not support Gov. Palin. Voting Obama in 2008 29 38.16%
Both equally bad, were Doomed 15 19.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 09:24 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,803,764 times

Advertisements

be advised we're not electing a dictator or king and queen.
There is still the house and senate to deal with.
So, when all this republican and democrat love fest is over, there is still D.C. in control.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:29 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,822,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
I'm still not sold on this. I'm watching his speach right now.
In the past a VP rode the president's coat tails, it seems in this election the roles are reversed.
I agree. The process has to unfold over the next few weeks to see how she reacts and what happens in the discovery process.

And nothing against Alaska, but it is misleading to say that she is the governor of the largest state. I could own a 200 acre wooded piece of property with a half an acre of grass I mow every week, but I could not say that I know everything about that land just because I own it and mow a half acre of it once a week.

If they are going to use the words “largest” and “state” together with respect to the job running a state government, they should stick to using those terms when describing California, with 12% of the total US population and an economy 45 times that of Alaska.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:41 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,217,304 times
I remember when Clinton had Chelsea on the stage with him and Obama has his daughters out there. Palin has hers out there because it is the standard practice to introduce the families as the loved ones of said politician. Just because we are introduced to those families does not in any way shape or form give us or the media the right to prying eyes when it comes to a politician's family.
We see them, we have a basic background on them but that is all we should have. To pry and dig up "dirt" on the minor children of politicians as if they were the ones in the White House is flat out wrong. There is no other way to look at it. Children are off limits!

Old 09-04-2008, 11:05 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,764,885 times
In regards to some of the er,um...Democrat posters - you had your day in the sun and now we're having yours. Nothing wrong with that, eh? Sour grapes......

Old 09-04-2008, 11:13 PM

391 posts, read 1,030,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
And nothing against Alaska, but it is misleading to say that she is the governor of the largest state.
I can understand your saying that...but it is nowhere near telling a little white lie. Alaskans are VERY cognizant of this being the largest state (BY FAR). It is part of the mystique of Alaska.

Arnold being the governor of the most "populous" state is the correct term for Cali. Largest state does apply to Alaska. Alaskans have been using it for over 50 years...nothing new there.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:17 PM

391 posts, read 1,030,109 times
Dreamchaser...nice comment. I absolutely agree.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:46 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,217,304 times
Thank you, and believe it or not that is not the Republican in me but rather the Mother...so much stronger!

Old 09-05-2008, 06:50 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
I did see a report that the speech was "adjusted" to give it more of a softer feel. It didn't seem that soft to me and the adjustment must have been more about her career and some of the digs at Obama. I must say though, Obama's speech did jab at McCain, but all were based on issue and policy differences, not sophomoric remarks about props.

Also, if Palin wants her family off limits, why do they keep putting them in the public eye? Why is there an AP picture in today's papers of Bristol and boyfriend meeting McCain at the airport? Why is the boyfriend all of a sudden in every picture? You can't have it both ways. That goes for both sides. Besides, haven't politicians learned by now that putting their young kids in the spot light may not be the best idea? See young Andrew Giuliani acting goofy at his father's inauguration.

For that matter, if Palin was properly vetted by team McCain, why wasn't the boyfriend introduced when Palin was introduced as his VP pick? Only after it was leaked out that her daughter was pregnant was he welcomed into the spotlight. Team McCain/Palin put this young man in the spotlight, so it would fair game to at least be able to mention the situation.
think about a couple of things here: 1-would you have expected her to announce, last Friday, when she was introduced, by the way, I have a daughter who is pregnant and not married? Get real? of course they knew it would come out....but they were not going to have him in the spotlight until the pregnancy was made public. 2-as for hands off, but they had the whole family on display, this is politics, If the family had not been there when she was speaking etc there would have been questions. I guess you have to know a little about politics to understand...Oh, wasn't it Obama that first made the remark about family being off limits, and hasn't Michelle and the girls been with him most of the time.

Nita

Old 09-05-2008, 01:57 PM

2 posts, read 8,540 times
Default She'll Shake Your Hand....SO WHAT?

Big Deal!! She'll shake your hand!! Still doesn't make her qualified to lead the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA! They can talk about "Elitists", let's talk instead about "Hypocrites" -- she has the power to enact legislation to prevent my daughter from getting information on HOW NOT TO GET PREGNANT, yet couldn't help her own daughter from repeating her own "shotgun" mistake (having a baby at 18 yrs. old). Let's get past the empty words and slogans, and misguided "change" theme McCain/Palin are now touting - believe me, NOTHING WILL CHANGE if they get the White House!!!

Old 09-05-2008, 02:06 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBahama View Post
Big Deal!! She'll shake your hand!! Still doesn't make her qualified to lead the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA! They can talk about "Elitists", let's talk instead about "Hypocrites" -- she has the power to enact legislation to prevent my daughter from getting information on HOW NOT TO GET PREGNANT, yet couldn't help her own daughter from repeating her own "shotgun" mistake (having a baby at 18 yrs. old). Let's get past the empty words and slogans, and misguided "change" theme McCain/Palin are now touting - believe me, NOTHING WILL CHANGE if they get the White House!!!
Uhmmmm. HELLO! Sarah isn't running for President.....yet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska