Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 05:24 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times

Advertisements

Bacon makes everything better. Even those bags of real Hormel crumbled bacon bits from Costco. One summer at camp things were getting low in the food department and ideas were running short. My daughter 8 year old daughter chimed in and said "It's not that bad cause we still got bacon".....

Bacon Today*|*Daily Updates on the World of Sweet, Sweet Bacon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 05:44 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,736,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Bacon makes everything better. Even those bags of real Hormel crumbled bacon bits from Costco. One summer at camp things were getting low in the food department and ideas were running short. My daughter 8 year old daughter chimed in and said "It's not that bad cause we still got bacon".....

Bacon Today*|*Daily Updates on the World of Sweet, Sweet Bacon.
yup...can hear the arteries hardening as you eat!!!

Old 02-23-2009, 07:36 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
I've often thought of buying a slab of bacon that you slice yourself and just cook it on the grill without slicing it. I wonder how that would work out?

Old 02-23-2009, 08:01 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,851,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
I've often thought of buying a slab of bacon that you slice yourself and just cook it on the grill without slicing it. I wonder how that would work out?
Interesting thought, let us know when you do it..or I might just be adventerous and try it...can use if for something....

Old 02-23-2009, 08:07 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
I think I'll do that this weekend. I'm sure it would have to be cooked on a lower heat setting due to it flaring up.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
I think I'll do that this weekend. I'm sure it would have to be cooked on a lower heat setting due to it flaring up.
You are right there, would flare...would be good for chowder, any other kind of soup....don't see as edible on it's own so much....but put the grill flavor into it...even fried potatoes would be good with some of that chopped in....

Old 02-23-2009, 08:51 PM

258 posts, read 560,629 times
If you buy slab bacon you can cook it on the grill, but it flares up and burns. (I've tried) It works great however if you make cabobs with it which allows the flame-ups to cook the veggies and other goodies on the skewers.

The best thing I've found for slab bacon is to cut it into 1/2 to 3/4 inch cubes and put it in a pan with cubes of potatoes and cut up onions and cook them nice and slow. Cover them and scrape the pan every five minutes or so so they donly crisp, not burn. Best served in a big pile with a nice juicy steak to top it off. (It brings back memories of camping out and cooking it all in a big cast iron skillet over the campfire!)

Oh, and I tried to dig my grill out, we had some rain when we had about 3 feet of snow on the ground and it's packed in with about 5 inches of ice. It's really hard barbequeing when the grill is below 'ground' level. But those pictures Granny posted made me drool all over the keyboard.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:57 PM

258 posts, read 560,629 times
Any thoughts on steak seasoning? We seem to think Snider's - Prime Rib & Roast is the best. It's the only thing we've found that is as good or better than fresh herbs.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImAHobbit View Post
If you buy slab bacon you can cook it on the grill, but it flares up and burns. (I've tried) It works great however if you make cabobs with it which allows the flame-ups to cook the veggies and other goodies on the skewers.

The best thing I've found for slab bacon is to cut it into 1/2 to 3/4 inch cubes and put it in a pan with cubes of potatoes and cut up onions and cook them nice and slow. Cover them and scrape the pan every five minutes or so so they donly crisp, not burn. Best served in a big pile with a nice juicy steak to top it off. (It brings back memories of camping out and cooking it all in a big cast iron skillet over the campfire!)

Oh, and I tried to dig my grill out, we had some rain when we had about 3 feet of snow on the ground and it's packed in with about 5 inches of ice. It's really hard barbequeing when the grill is below 'ground' level. But those pictures Granny posted made me drool all over the keyboard.
Okay Hobbit, I didn't chip mine out totally, only to be able to use....

I am learning cast iron and really happy, could do that with the taters on the grill...I would add some peppers to the mix at least...another set of pics...oh...we have learned here....don't eat or drink near the computer as could be bad...drool, spew....real food cooked real is heaven......

Oh with the rain and snow where you are...remember that well... we have the same here, but I go chip out once in a while, just because I might want and trust me, when I took those pics, she was froze shut..did a bit of cranking, but she came through for me...

Old 02-23-2009, 09:13 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer818 View Post
Smoked Hard Boiled Eggs!!!!

15 minutes and yer on yer way to "eggstacy".
LOL - I'm just gonna remember Wanderer818 for the word eggstacy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska