Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 06:28 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,321,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I have a question, if the one drop rule, which is really an incorrect term to begin with, offered different results, would you still be against it? What I guess I'm really asking is that if mixed people were instead viewed socio-historically(a key term) as White, would there be as much apprehension as we see now? I think this is something that I think people should think about and may actually push the conversation to a level which it hardly gets to and that is supremacy/purity, as well as the difference in that regard between different groups. In my opinion, the so called one drop rule has a different response depending on who to talk to. What I'm trying to say is that when you look at things from a socio-historical perspective, for Black people in this country, being a person of at least substantial Black African descent brings about a social reality within the general society. In turn, instead of historically running away from it, generally speaking, Black people in this country have embraced that reality to form a unique group of people, that outside of Native Americans, are more American than any other group in this country, given the volume of people with long time roots. So, the Black reaction is not an acceptance of White racist ideas/Black inferiority, but I believe an embracing of people of at least substantial, similar descent formed out of social realities.

I've heard a man say that Black people aren't dark skinned White people. I believe this case, this a good example of what he means due to what I previously stated.
For starters,*I suggest you look at this:

Legal History of the Color Line: The Rise and Triumph of the One-Drop Rule:Amazon:Books

I also suggest you look at and read this on myths across the color line:

Essays on the U.S. Color Line » Blog Archive » Myths Across the Color Line

And then this:
Legal History of the Color Line: The Rise and Triumph of the One-Drop Rule:Amazon:Books

The one drop rule was also used against Native Americans and people of Native American descent as well. The one drop rule imposed and used against Native Americans was not as strong as the one drop rule regulations used against people of African descent.*

What I guess I'm really asking is that if mixed people were instead viewed socio-historically(a key term) as White, would there be as much apprehension as we see now?

Well that's why it's important for people to actually know the facts of history. Plenty of known mixed folks were openly embraced and regarded as whites by the white communities. One drop rule was imposed between 1931 and 1967. Many people who were mixed were accepted as white, even when many whites knew that that person was mixed.*

The Civil Rights movement was an equality seeking and very anti one droppist movement.*

Mulatto and other separate mixed race categories were legally recognized continuously until the 1930 census. After 1930 mulatto and other mixed race categories were not used on the censuses or recognized and one drop rule was put in place in many Southern states. And in states like Ohio and even Oklahoma, someone like Obama would have been legally regarded and recognized as a WHITE man. After 1967 landmark case of Loving Vs Virginia, one drop rule was declared illegal and the mixed race consciousness and heritage of the USA was restored.

*And that's the problem. Reject the one drop rule. I support the right of people to choose how they identify, but I do not support anyone's defense of the racist one drop rule or hypodescent.

That depends. What exactly do you define as "at least substantial *Black African descent" how much, what quantrum or percentage?*

I think you are conflating perceptions of terms and pattern trends and parameters for identities and ones right to personal identity choice. I support all forms and modes of identity including mixed ones but I do not agree with support or defense of the one drop rule.

*I agree that ppl should be aware of racism and discrimination and how one being vigilant of how people discriminate people based on their race, and on skin color and ways to challenge bigotry and hate and rise above it. I think thar most people are aware of such. My point is that people should respect how one identifies, and also that ones choice to identify as mixed (if said mixture includes and/or is mixed with part black) is not to reject black ancestry or African ancestry. It's just embracing more than one at the same time. Afrodescendant and black do NOT mean the same thing. Afrodescendant includes blacks but blacks does NOT include all Afrodescendants and Afrodescendants of mixed ancestry. IJS.

Also*keep in mind that "Afrodescendant" is hardly one droppist. It just recognizes that one has that ancestry.

And that's the point. One should be able to embrace fellow others without supporting or adhering to one dropping and one drop ruling others

I don't get what you mean about black people being dark skinned white people although that could be a valid analogy and then flipped to say that white people are light skinned black people. Oxymoronic terms yet interesting analogies nonetheless.

Blacks and whites are pretty much alike and are like the inverses of each other.*

And also keep in mind that blacks and whites are NOT the only races of people or race mixtures around. Just saying.

I think people also need to continue to fight and challenge white supremacy. In addition I think ppl of color need to challenge whites to continue to stress and acknowledge equality and equal rights and to also respect peoples identities.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1
Many black americans are ashamed of the behavior of many black americans.

Lots of situational nuances there.

Many white people have their "white trash," but nobody makes any broad generalizations about white people based on those who are "white trash." Nobody approaches every white person with the possibility that he might be "white trash." A white person applying for a job or an apartment rental does not automatically have to overcome a "white trash" stereotype. Unless he's actually wearing one of the known "white trash" labels, nobody will treat him as though he might be.

There are a lot of programs on cable these days that present us with weird white people, from "Swamp People" to "Honey Boo Boo." Nobody applies these stereotypes to the average white person. Ever.

Not the same for other ethnic groups. Nobody who is visibly of Middle Eastern or South Asian can count on not being lumped with Islamic extremists--sometimes even by government police forces. The same is true of any ethnic group.

"Seven hundred and five people saw a woman in a bikini and thought 'Muslim extremist.'"
Thank you. I agree. I also never see anyone speaking about the rampant epidemic of white on white crime. Also most crimes overall are committed by WHITES, yet no one says anything.

It all goes to show the nuances of white privilege and white being a raceless paridigm and the equivalent to the epitome of which all factions are compared to.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
And yet, there is certainly colorism practiced among Latinos.
Your comment is completely coming from left field and out of nowhere because, you should look at the comment I was responding to.

And yes everyone knows that there is colorism among Latinos. Colorism exists among all races and ethnic groups and cultures.

Colorism is global.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
I guess one must have been raised in a post Civil Rights Act era not to find this statement absurdly funny.

For someone who had to be taught as a child, "If you go through that door, they will beat you up or kill you," that's an eyebrow-raising statement.
And one clearly must not have been born on planet earth among human beings with common sense to actually be able to have adequate reading comprehension skills.

What the **** does what others think of you or what they'll do to you have to do with one's personal identity?

It's the mother****ing 21st century. Based on what you are saying I guess you're saying black people deserve to be treated like 2nd or 3rd class citizens and living in ****hole disenfranchised neighborhoods and communities.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBoi View Post
No. Black Americans are not ashamed to be black. Some are ashamed of Black American history. I had a black man in his late twenties tell me that he didn't care when Martin Luther King Jr. died. I also had another black man tell me that he didn't want to know anything about slavery because it was in the past. So his kids will probably be ashamed to be black.
Many black people actually didn't agree with Martin Luther King Jr during the time that he was alive. A lot of the romanticization of MLK Jr came about from validation of white liberals.

And if you think slavery is black history, then you clearly don't know black history or the totality of black history.

Many black people were free during colonial times.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
You're welcome and I've had my run ins with that person in other forums around here. What you were saying makes perfect sense to anyone who's mind is open enough to allow the info in.
Right. As I like to say, people with closed minds should have CLOSED mouths.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Because I clicked the wrong smiley LOL. It should have been this one
Ok. That's a given and I'm aware of that. However I will question these boxes and boundaries and CRUSH them.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
Nope! Jamika is an ugly name Trayvon sounds misspelt. While I appreciate black people being creative with their ""weaves"" they really should keep their names simple. Who gonna hire a Trayvon ""boo""?
White people and other races utilize weaves and hair extensions too. Not just black people. Other races have their share of unique or messed up names too. Just saying.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:02 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,379,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Ok. That's a given and I'm aware of that. However I will question these boxes and boundaries and CRUSH them.
Huh?

Old 11-28-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Huh?
Lol. Read the comment I was responding to. I'm basically saying that I challenge people to think outside the box and when people put other peoples into boxes or categories etc, I simply say that ppl should crush these boxes and challenge others ASSumptions etc.

I was being somewhat cynical etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas