Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 11:15 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I think a black Johnny would do better than a black (insert name here). Just sayin.
If he did, it would only be due to the employer's own hang-ups and prejudices. We should never have to sacrifice our culture just to appease the establishment. We deserve to be accepted for who we are.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:21 AM

2,238 posts, read 3,321,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Black American culture is one of its own. After personally going through the cycles of being designated "colored," "negro," "black," "Afro-American," and "African-American," I still stay with "black" when necessary to describe myself.

Most people of mixed African and Latino heritage who come from a Spanish-speaking home don't call themselves by any term that would link them to "Americans of African slave heritage." I can see why they wouldn't -- Latino culture is more complete and identifiable, especially if you do, indeed come from a Spanish-speaking home.

It can certainly be complex, though, and many are as unsettled about their heritage and live lives of cultural inner-conflict.

Which is not to say that white Americans did not do their damnest to make blacks in America ashamed of what we were for a couple of hundred years. That is why the "Black is Beautiful" movement began. We began calling ourselves "black" as a political statement.

No, I'm not accepting "gangsta" culture. That's more or less why I stayed with "black." Yeah, call me stuck-in-the-60s, but things went wayward after "Afro-American."

I'm not sure why--I was overseas during the 70s, so I didn't see what happened (but Jeri-curls were a bad sign).

My daughter and I were watching a program on BET that purported to describe African-American culture. After the end of the program, my daughter announced, "I guess I'm not African-American." I agreed.

I think you meant to add "and have African slave ancestry," because of course, many white people can trace their family trees back to America hundreds of years ago.
Um, what do you mean by "mixed African and Latino heritage"? The context of Afro-Latinidad being mentioned here has nothing to do with being mixed or mixed identity. The context of Afro Latinidad is that of a person who is racially black but is from the Spanish speaking nations of the Western Hemisphere in addition to Haiti and Brazil. They are just as black in terms of racial identity as a black person is in the USA.

Latino and Hispanic is NOT a race or racial group. It just means that you come from a Spanish speaking country, but you could be of any race.

The concept of Latino is flawed in some aspects in the way it is wrongly used in the USA. It would be like saying all U.S. Americans and people from English speaking countries of ALL races are one group of people and that they are all Brittanic and Germanic.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
We're not that deep in America. Sorry. And we never will be. If I can't look at you and say that you're black, white, mexican, or asian then someone will just call you mixed. If someone looks at you and call you black, then you apparently look black to them. End of story. America will never had 90,000 ethnic groups like latin America has. If anything race will become ever more simplified, less genetically accurate, less historically accurate, and the good thing is, no one will care. It's all about individualism in America. No one cares about your ethnic background here. If you want to split hairs about what's mixed and not, it's a pretty short trip to your nearest back water latin American country. In the USA, we simply don't care.
Race in the USA or even Latin America is not accurate. It's all socially constructed. There are different perceptions to race even within the USA.

This isn't about what you are called. It's what you answer to.

The point I'm trying to make is that we should respect people's self proclaimed identities.

Just like someone might think you are mixed or white or something else, but if you identify as black, then who is to tell you that you aren't when it's what you are and feel and identify with.

That's the point.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
We're not that deep in America. Sorry. And we never will be. If I can't look at you and say that you're black, white, mexican, or asian then someone will just call you mixed. If someone looks at you and call you black, then you apparently look black to them. End of story. America will never had 90,000 ethnic groups like latin America has. If anything race will become ever more simplified, less genetically accurate, less historically accurate, and the good thing is, no one will care. It's all about individualism in America. No one cares about your ethnic background here. If you want to split hairs about what's mixed and not, it's a pretty short trip to your nearest back water latin American country. In the USA, we simply don't care.
And in the USA I don't care either. All I'm saying is that there are unique experiences and people have the right to identify as they please.

And actually the USA hundreds of ethnic groups actually. Ethnicity and culture is not the same thing as race.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:31 AM

28,664 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1
Many black americans are ashamed of the behavior of many black americans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think this cuts across all groups to a degree. I think the problem is a lack of exposure of a balance of behavior of said people.
Lots of situational nuances there.

Many white people have their "white trash," but nobody makes any broad generalizations about white people based on those who are "white trash." Nobody approaches every white person with the possibility that he might be "white trash." A white person applying for a job or an apartment rental does not automatically have to overcome a "white trash" stereotype. Unless he's actually wearing one of the known "white trash" labels, nobody will treat him as though he might be.

There are a lot of programs on cable these days that present us with weird white people, from "Swamp People" to "Honey Boo Boo." Nobody applies these stereotypes to the average white person. Ever.

Not the same for other ethnic groups. Nobody who is visibly of Middle Eastern or South Asian can count on not being lumped with Islamic extremists--sometimes even by government police forces. The same is true of any ethnic group.

"Seven hundred and five people saw a woman in a bikini and thought 'Muslim extremist.'"

Quote:
Monday night, Stephen Colbert took on the hundreds of Twitter haters who labeled first Indian-American Miss America winner Nina Davuluri a “terrorist.” The host nearly broke character when reporting that following Davuluri’s victory Sunday night, “705 people saw a woman in a bikini and thought Muslim extremist.”

But before Colbert got the night’s winner, he carved out a couple of minutes to discuss his home state beauty queen, Miss South Carolina, who told the audience she hails from “the state where 20% of our homes are mobile, because that’s how we roll.” As Colbert interpreted it, that fact meant those 20% “could leave South Carolina, but they choose to stay.” Or, “possibly a lack of gas money.”

Old 11-28-2013, 11:33 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,379,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
If he did, it would only be due to the employer's own hang-ups and prejudices. We should never have to sacrifice our culture just to appease the establishment. We deserve to be accepted for who we are.
Culture is what we've naturally evolved, not made up. Besides, regardless whether or not we should have to, fact of the matter is, some people are still like that and they're not going to just stop it because you and I think they ought to. If that were the case, we wouldn't be having this conversation. So, since people who have the power to hire can still be that way, is it worth sacrificing the made up culture or a child's future? You're going to sacrifice something, which is more valuable to you?

Old 11-28-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Um, what do you mean by "mixed African and Latino heritage"? The context of Afro-Latinidad being mentioned here has nothing to do with being mixed or mixed identity. The context of Afro Latinidad is that of a person who is racially black but is from the Spanish speaking nations of the Western Hemisphere in addition to Haiti and Brazil. They are just as black in terms of racial identity as a black person is in the USA.
And yet, there is certainly colorism practiced among Latinos.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
This isn't about what you are called. It's what you answer to
I guess one must have been raised in a post Civil Rights Act era not to find this statement absurdly funny.

For someone who had to be taught as a child, "If you go through that door, they will beat you up or kill you," that's an eyebrow-raising statement.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Many times the "made up" names are formed out of a combination of names. So, there may be an indirect meaning behind them.
If the parent doesn't know the meaning, the child was not named with meaning.

But notice that I said "Second, a made-up name has a high probability of either being stupid or simply being an awkward spelling of a "real" name...or just awkward. "

"High probability" specifically does not denote "certainty."

Old 11-28-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
That might happen after a great deal of personal interaction.

It doesn't happen on a job application or even in a job interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas