Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 04:50 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
Nogales has some old beautiful houses, I'm not a fan of track houses in the desert.
What about tract houses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2021, 01:01 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,610,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
What about tract houses?
caught me

Old 03-18-2021, 03:47 AM

6,091 posts, read 3,330,622 times
Quote:
LOL, what do you think is going to happen?
Nobody knows the future for Arizona, but as of today, you can stand in Texas and hear M203 grenades being fired along with .50 cal heavy guns. Obviously, these are cartels doing battle and this happens up to 4 times per week.

They maintain tactical discipline similar to what you would see in Syria and Iraq with Al Qaeda and ISIS and all the splinter groups associated. These are very sophisticated defacto military units on the southern border of the US.

As far as the regular folks that come across the border, they are the least of our concerns. I’m actually in favor of a guest worker program, where folks can come across the border, work and make money, and then go back home when they want to.

But I don’t think people understand what is truly happening on the border. They get caught up in the illegal alien aspect of it, but that’s just one part of the equation.

Anyway, asking about future border security in a place like Nogales is a fair question to ask, in my opinion, if you are planning on living there long term.

I’ve read posts on here where people are angry about F-35 jet noise. Well, how do you feel about .50 caliber automatic fire, happening around the clock?

Old 03-20-2021, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
Nobody knows the future for Arizona, but as of today, you can stand in Texas and hear M203 grenades being fired along with .50 cal heavy guns. Obviously, these are cartels doing battle and this happens up to 4 times per week.

They maintain tactical discipline similar to what you would see in Syria and Iraq with Al Qaeda and ISIS and all the splinter groups associated. These are very sophisticated defacto military units on the southern border of the US.

As far as the regular folks that come across the border, they are the least of our concerns. I’m actually in favor of a guest worker program, where folks can come across the border, work and make money, and then go back home when they want to.

But I don’t think people understand what is truly happening on the border. They get caught up in the illegal alien aspect of it, but that’s just one part of the equation.

Anyway, asking about future border security in a place like Nogales is a fair question to ask, in my opinion, if you are planning on living there long term.

I’ve read posts on here where people are angry about F-35 jet noise. Well, how do you feel about .50 caliber automatic fire, happening around the clock?
That has nothing to do with your other post that I was responding to. You asked what would happen if border policies become lax and then went on to describe events already happening on the other side. I don’t buy into speculative fear.

Old 03-21-2021, 07:03 AM

Quote:
That has nothing to do with your other post that I was responding to. You asked what would happen if border policies become lax and then went on to describe events already happening on the other side. I don’t buy into speculative fear.
Are you purposefully trying to be dense? Lax immigration policies, which I stated in my first post, lead to cartels infiltrating the border, along with all their weaponry.

You can live on the border, knock yourself out. You can also live in the inner city, too. I want no part of either.

Old 03-21-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Are you purposefully trying to be dense? Lax immigration policies, which I stated in my first post, lead to cartels infiltrating the border, along with all their weaponry.

You can live on the border, knock yourself out. You can also live in the inner city, too. I want no part of either.
I don’t live on the border nor have any plans to. That doesn’t mean I can’t point out the absurdity of the pearl-clutching, speculative fear mongering.

“Cartels infiltrating the border with their weaponry”. LOL! You must admit that sounds a bit crazy, no? The paranoia seems quite extreme.

Old 03-21-2021, 10:03 AM

962 posts, read 468,946 times
To be fair, that paranoia isn't spontaneous. It's been stoked for many years by those who would benefit from that fear. From Friday:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...tter_azcentral

Quote:
Ahead of his visit to the border, intended to draw attention to what he has called a security problem of increasing immigration, Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey's office issued a news release Thursday touting drugbusts supposedly made by its Border Strike Force.
However, each of the highlighted seizures appeared to have been made through the solid, and routine, work of troopers patrolling the state's highways. And none took place near the border.
Quote:
The highlighted busts in the news release follow a pattern: The Border Strike Force has produced eye-popping statistics about drug seizures. But that is because, records show, drug seizures made by state troopers as part of traffic stops all across Arizona are chalked up to the Strike Force. A list of Strike Force cases provided by the Department of Public Safety showed that, through 2018, most of the task force activity took place away from Arizona’s four border counties. Drug seizures, according to the list of cases, mainly involved minuscule amounts not typically indicative of trafficking operations.
Quote:
The Border Strike Force has received more than $90 million in funding since its inception, state budget documents show.

Old 03-21-2021, 09:46 PM

Quote:
I don’t live on the border nor have any plans to. That doesn’t mean I can’t point out the absurdity of the pearl-clutching, speculative fear mongering.

“Cartels infiltrating the border with their weaponry”. LOL! You must admit that sounds a bit crazy, no? The paranoia seems quite extreme.
So you think it’s absurd that a cartel war, which can be heard on our side of the border, might potentially spill over to the US someday?

You obviously have much more faith in our semi-corrupt system than I do.

Old 03-22-2021, 10:35 AM

Quote:
So you think it’s absurd that a cartel war, which can be heard on our side of the border, might potentially spill over to the US someday?

You obviously have much more faith in our semi-corrupt system than I do.
“A cartel war”. Lol! The cartels are always battling and there’s no reason to be so paranoid of the ‘what ifs’.

Old 03-23-2021, 11:11 AM

30,356 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I got hooked today on driving thru residential streets of Nogales, AZ, I couldn't stop until I had gone up and down any number of steep streets, marveling over all those old, stone houses that go way, way back to the turn of the last century. I also stumbled upon an over-the-top Cemetery in the city as well. It was getting dark and I could see myself spending a whole day in there alone.

I'm really surprised the rich people haven't discovered this city and turned it into a very expensive city to live in, with all those steep building sites on the many hills there with jaw-dropping views.

I'm guessing there's, perhaps, a number of people from Tucson who have bought houses there, and drive back and forth to Tucson everyday to work.

And if you haven't got your fill in the old, sprawling cemetery in Nogales, AZ, go across the border to Nogales, MX and they have an equally interesting cemetery which sprawls up a steep hill in the central area.
TJ,

I believe you previously mentioned going to Nogales, Mx for dental work. My DIL needs some extensive work done and is considering going there because it's cheaper. If you have thoughts you can share on this, I would appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona