Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 12:44 PM

2,145 posts, read 1,212,102 times

Advertisements

I think that Atheists think a lot less about their Atheism than do theists
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 01:02 PM

63,844 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
That's actually pretty profound and an interesting statement to make. You got me thinking about this.

Is our imagination boundless? Initially I thought only within what we know.
But i suppose it is boundless. Can we imagine things we don't know?
Yes. I believe we can.
I'm thinking of examples in terms of things like the Higgs Bosun. I'm sure Peter Higgs must have had to imagine the particle in addition to the mathematical proposal for the theory since it was predicted long before it was finally discovered.

I guess we are imagining all kinds of things that we can't see on a daily basis.
We can even imagine things that are not possible. Time moving in reverse for example. I have sometimes dreamed that I can fly.

You come up with some good stuff sometimes Mystic.
I keep telling you that the truth is sneaking up on you, Cruithne!

Old 03-29-2021, 03:25 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManApplet View Post
That would be pretty amazing considering how little christians actually THINK about what they believe.

Old 03-29-2021, 03:40 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,594,064 times
Quote:
I would agree. But remember many atheist believe in thinks from living planet, that oneness thing, up and including cosmic minds. So I would say, in a way, atheist might think about their beliefs before they believe them. For the most part that is.

Old 03-29-2021, 05:06 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,350,015 times
Quote:
New atheists are obsessed with atheism.

Seasoned atheists are more open minded.

Old 03-29-2021, 06:08 PM

2,145 posts, read 1,212,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That would be pretty amazing considering how little christians actually THINK about what they believe.
And how do you feel about how they think about other peoples Atheism, which is what I said. I said nothing about how 'christians actually THINK about what they believe.'

Old 03-29-2021, 06:28 PM

Quote:
And how do you feel about how they think about other peoples Atheism, which is what I said. I said nothing about how 'christians actually THINK about what they believe.'
I think they worry too much about people who have other beliefs, and don't do enough critical thinking about their bible and church hierarchies.

When I was a kid being raised in the Methodist church, often on Sundays I'd wait till we were sitting down to dinner -- about 2 hours after church -- and I'd ask my grandmother, "What did Reverend Durham talk about in his sermon today?" She never remembered a thing. If I went to Mass with someone on my father's side of the family, I'd do the same thing and ask about the homily. They never knew. And a few years ago I had friends over for dinner, and the husband was more catholic than the pope. And I had seen him and his wife in Mass that noon. Again, I asked what the priest had talked about. Zero. It all just went in one ear and out the other. Brain dead and habitual. So when I hear christians talk negatively about atheists or people of other beliefs, I just chuckle to myself.

Old 03-29-2021, 08:22 PM

17,813 posts, read 13,713,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think they worry too much about people who have other beliefs, and don't do enough critical thinking about their bible and church hierarchies.

When I was a kid being raised in the Methodist church, often on Sundays I'd wait till we were sitting down to dinner -- about 2 hours after church -- and I'd ask my grandmother, "What did Reverend Durham talk about in his sermon today?" She never remembered a thing. If I went to Mass with someone on my father's side of the family, I'd do the same thing and ask about the homily. They never knew. And a few years ago I had friends over for dinner, and the husband was more catholic than the pope. And I had seen him and his wife in Mass that noon. Again, I asked what the priest had talked about. Zero. It all just went in one ear and out the other. Brain dead and habitual. So when I hear christians talk negatively about atheists or people of other beliefs, I just chuckle to myself.
I can't blame your family members. After about a year of church all you are hearing is a rehash of what you have heard before.

Old 03-29-2021, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I can't blame your family members. After about a year of church all you are hearing is a rehash of what you have heard before.
Then why go? Mere habit?

And why was my paternal grandmother outraged that Mass would be in English when she couldn't understand a word of Latin?

Old 03-30-2021, 03:33 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
New atheists are obsessed with atheism.

Seasoned atheists are more open minded.
Atheists don't talk about atheism. So usually atheists don't know other atheists are atheists. It's only here on forums that we talk about at - so Enablers of theism (even if they don't believe it) think we tell everyone every 10 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism