Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2021, 01:35 PM

50,833 posts, read 24,347,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The problem with labels is that they are too limiting. I recognize the yearn of others to classify. I always called myself an agnostic cultural Christian. I cannot think like the traditional atheist.
You label all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2021, 03:58 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,346,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You label all the time.
Describing reality is not labeling.

Old 03-31-2021, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Describing reality is not labeling.
How many times have you used the phrase "new atheists"?

Old 03-31-2021, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
But your own label makes it sound like you are still a believer.

There are many atheists who label themselves as an ethnic Jewish atheists. I cannot to so because I was not raised in a Jewish community. My sister is also an atheist but is more involved in celebrating Jewish festivals than I ever was. My wife insists on traditional Christmas and Easter dinners and yet she is more gnostic about there being no gods than I can be. And she also insisted in a traditional church wedding. Both of us wete atheists and me of Jewish background got married in a United Church of Canada church that her family attended , mainly for weddings and funerals. We have also attended funerals in other churches including several in Catholic Churches. And a couple Jewish weddings and funerals.

I do not know what a traditional atheist is like or how he or she thinks.
You are clearly a normal open minded atheist and you are to be congratulated for not being a fundamentalist atheist. I am not that different, other than before Covid I used to go to mass. Traditions and rituals are OK by me as they seem to have a positive influence on most people.

My wife is a bit of devout catholic, but she is very open minded and also loves tradition. She loves the tradition of the Jewish religion too. She is a fanatic of the Shtisel Jewish series on Netflix.

Old 03-31-2021, 04:08 PM

Quote:
How many times have you used the phrase "new atheists"?
But, that is how they define themselves. They are seeking change-------- they are not like the old fashion more conservative atheists that kept their views to themselves. There is nothing wrong in describing reality.

Old 03-31-2021, 04:45 PM

Quote:
But, that is how they define themselves. They are seeking change-------- they are not like the old fashion more conservative atheists that kept their views to themselves. There is nothing wrong in describing reality.
You want to have it both ways. If you don't like a particular label, then it's bad to label. If you like a particular label, then it's good to label.

Old 03-31-2021, 04:54 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Quote:
That isn't true. The vast majority of atheists simply refer to themselves as "atheists." That is if they even use any kind of descriptive term. I've only known one person that cared enough about his disbelief to use any term at all.

Also, we've only had one atheist on this forum that ever referred to himself as a conservative. I don't know where you're getting your information.

Old 03-31-2021, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
That isn't true. The vast majority of atheists simply refer to themselves as "atheists." That is if they even use any kind of descriptive term. I've only known one person that cared enough about his disbelief to use any term at all.

Also, we've only had one atheist on this forum that ever referred to himself as a conservative. I don't know where you're getting your information.
Conservative atheists are a dime a dozen, but they are in the closet.

Old 03-31-2021, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Conservative atheists are a dime a dozen, but they are in the closet.
Show us some data.

Old 03-31-2021, 05:16 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Quote:
Show us some data.
Me had a thread about that a number of years ago in A&A. A large majority of atheists self identify as liberal. Only a few were conservative. Seemed odd to me, but that's what the anecdotal evidence seemed to show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism