Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2021, 06:01 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times

Advertisements

Well..the existence of a god (or not) Is the 2nd biggest big question for atheism, but responding to the same Mystic nonsense yet again was probably pointless.

OP "Please feel free to add other examples.

This thread is NOT just for atheists BTW. Others free to join in."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2021, 10:52 AM

1,799 posts, read 563,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Atheists don't talk about atheism. So usually atheists don't know other atheists are atheists. It's only here on forums that we talk about at - so Enablers of theism (even if they don't believe it) think we tell everyone every 10 minutes.
I was going to say the same thing. I don't think atheists tend to point out their atheism, except for the militant few. Most know the conflict it would cause, especially in areas like the South, and so just keep a low profile. There is apparently more than a handful of atheist clergy who continue on as clergy even after stopping believing, because of what it would do to their families , not to mention their careers. There are support groups specifically for these guys.

Old 03-31-2021, 11:29 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
I was going to say the same thing. I don't think atheists tend to point out their atheism, except for the militant few. Most know the conflict it would cause, especially in areas like the South, and so just keep a low profile. There is apparently more than a handful of atheist clergy who continue on as clergy even after stopping believing, because of what it would do to their families , not to mention their careers. There are support groups specifically for these guys.
I have met more than one priest that is agnostic. I met them on long flights from the USA to Europe. Plenty of time to talk! One told me he went on because that was his calling whether God was real or not. He worked with poor people in Africa. The other told me that been an agnostic did not change anything for him.
I suspect many priests are agnostic.

Old 03-31-2021, 11:42 AM

16,679 posts, read 15,688,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I have met more than one priest that is agnostic. I met them on long flights from the USA to Europe. Plenty of time to talk! One told me he went on because that was his calling whether God was real or not. He worked with poor people in Africa. The other told me that been an agnostic did not change anything for him.
I suspect many priests are agnostic.
Are they agnostic atheists or agnostic theists? The vast majority of honest believers admit that they are agnostic theists. The word "agnostic" alone doesn't say which way a person's beliefs go.

Old 03-31-2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Are they agnostic atheists or agnostic theists? The vast majority of honest believers admit that they are agnostic theists. The word "agnostic" alone doesn't say which way a person's beliefs go.
Catholicism has a huge component that is related to tradition. When a catholic becomes agnostic the traditions are still there. Most priests are highly educated and some struggle with the idea there is no God. Many could very well be in denial. As an agnostic I have gone to mass for years, but I do not know what is like to be a priest. One Franciscan monk told me he enjoyed his charity work and that was that.

Old 03-31-2021, 12:15 PM

16,679 posts, read 15,688,422 times
Quote:
Quote:
Catholicism has a huge component that is related to tradition. When a catholic becomes agnostic the traditions are still there. Most priests are highly educated and some struggle with the idea there is no God. Many could very well be in denial. As an agnostic I have gone to mass for years, but I do not know what is like to be a priest. One Franciscan monk told me he enjoyed his charity work and that was that.
You failed to answer the question. An agnostic is a person that believes the existence of God cannot be know with certainty. That's a knowledge position. Theist and atheist are belief positions. So, are they agnostic atheists or agnostic theists?

Last edited by mensaguy; 03-31-2021 at 12:41 PM..

Old 03-31-2021, 12:40 PM

Quote:
You failed to answer the question. An agnostic is a person that believes the existence of God cannot be know with certainty. That's a knowledge position. Theist and atheist are belief positions. So, are the agnostic atheists or agnostic theists?
agnostic atheist

Old 03-31-2021, 12:49 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,330,906 times
Quote:
agnostic atheist
That's not to hard to say is it? I think most atheists I know are agnostic. As are most believers I know. Obviously on these forums there are m9re gnostic of both sides then in the general population.

Old 03-31-2021, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
That's not to hard to say is it? I think most atheists I know are agnostic. As are most believers I know. Obviously on these forums there are m9re gnostic of both sides then in the general population.
The problem with labels is that they are too limiting. I recognize the yearn of others to classify. I always called myself an agnostic cultural Christian. I cannot think like the traditional atheist.

Old 03-31-2021, 01:29 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,330,906 times
Quote:
The problem with labels is that they are too limiting. I recognize the yearn of others to classify. I always called myself an agnostic cultural Christian. I cannot think like the traditional atheist.
But your own label makes it sound like you are still a believer.

There are many atheists who label themselves as an ethnic Jewish atheists. I cannot to so because I was not raised in a Jewish community. My sister is also an atheist but is more involved in celebrating Jewish festivals than I ever was. My wife insists on traditional Christmas and Easter dinners and yet she is more gnostic about there being no gods than I can be. And she also insisted in a traditional church wedding. Both of us wete atheists and me of Jewish background got married in a United Church of Canada church that her family attended , mainly for weddings and funerals. We have also attended funerals in other churches including several in Catholic Churches. And a couple Jewish weddings and funerals.

I do not know what a traditional atheist is like or how he or she thinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism