Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2021, 03:32 AM

16,757 posts, read 4,968,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
A good question to ask is, at what point does an organism become conscious?;
Chimps certainly are conscious. As we know, they can be trained in a rudimentary language, as can dogs and dolphins.
I'm absolutely certain that these and other animals such as cats are conscious.

So then how far back down the chain do you go before you decide an organism is only reacting to stimuli?
A good question, and there are a few possibilities. Octopuses are conscious, so consciousness could have evolved very early in our common ancestor. But that then raises the question why it is not more common in the animal kingdom? Or is it, and we simply do not know this?

Another possibility is that octopuses evolved consciousness independently.

Or consciousness is simply a natural property of large brains, which raises the possibility of robots with feelings and self awareness. I believe Dennet has raised this possibility, although I have not read any of his work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2021, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I would argue conscious to a to a very high degree!
I agree, but I had to take Omi to get her second Corona shot, so I did not want to get specific.

Quote:
The cheeky little critters can think! There's no doubt a dog can think and plan and get mischievous ideas. But birds? Yup. I've raised some birds and came to realize just how smart they can be. There's a video showing crows playing in the snow. There's another video of a man with his pet parrot or parakeet or something - he makes a gun from his fingers, points it at the bird and says "bang" and the bird pretends to be shot, fall over and die. They're not stupid! Not all birds are smart though.

But the point is, it makes one wonder just what goes on in another animals mind and just how aware or 'conscious' they actually are. I have this rock pigeon sitting above my head as I type. I wonder what goes on in his head. What he might be thinking or whether he actually thinks at all. Some mornings he gets cuddly and nibbles my hand, jumps on my shoulder and nibbles my face then other mornings he just jumps on my shoulder and wants go out. And I can read his body language. Is that behavior all just instinctive? It doesn't look like it.
I would say reading body language can be instinctive, but we can also learn it subconsciously. But this is a possible problem, how much of what we think is conscious behavior in animals is actually subconsciously learnt?

Old 04-04-2021, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Here's something else that makes me go...hmm

All these 'Happy Easter' messages being sent around! Do people not get what Easter was supposed to be about?

The most horrendous death imaginable! And it's called Good Friday!
Is good not an old English term for holy?

Old 04-04-2021, 04:51 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Do all the individual living cells and biota that comprise your body have to think to do what they do as part of the complex conscious being that you are?
Is Plate tectonics Bayesian thinking. Bayesian thinking seems really about just looking at the data and see where they fit. Do we have a story line that encapsulates seemly different data sets. A liver cell looks nothing like a big toe cell. A protein strand (hair, nail, fo/f1 pump) isn't even alive and looks nothing like a living cell. But the system they are in describes exactly how they fit.

Do we have a classification that fits the system we are in right now that describes seemly unrelated events? Do we have a measurement that help us? I think we do.

Hmmmm ... the trick, for some, is to stop people from thinking and going Hmmmmm ... What if ...

Last edited by Arach Angle; 04-04-2021 at 05:37 AM..

Old 04-04-2021, 01:23 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Layers of complexity in information exchange. In this hierarchy of structure we are not the top structure. Deity/Lack of belief based on ignorance is no excuse when fighting so hard that one will lay waste to all commonsense and reason, aka:fubar.
Doesnt it get tiring attacking strawman with every post? No clue what your first two sentences are trying to communicate, perhaps if you finished those ideas instead of attacking windmills your point would have come across.

Old 04-04-2021, 06:54 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Doesnt it get tiring attacking strawman with every post? No clue what your first two sentences are trying to communicate, perhaps if you finished those ideas instead of attacking windmills your point would have come across.
Focus in on you have no clue. Then we see that your lack of belief and your unwilling to learn about it is exactly what I am talking about. Coupled with the fact if I do "finish the thought" some light weight will report it.

Old 04-04-2021, 08:28 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Focus in on you have no clue. Then we see that your lack of belief and your unwilling to learn about it is exactly what I am talking about. Coupled with the fact if I do "finish the thought" some light weight will report it.
You still are not saying anything. So

I have no clue. About what who will win the Stanley Cup or how life began?

I will give you all the reasons I don't believe in what you do and it has nothing to do with unwilling to learn.

1) I have no clue what something else may refer to

2) I can't believe in an unknown based solely on some random 0 Oster telling me they are right

3) the person telling me t9 believe refuses to fly explain what he means and uses science as the excuse

4) the 0erson telling me to believe has already made many baseless and unfounded and false accusations upon me , so many in fact I don't know if he knows what is true or not

The first reason is the best, I refuse to believe in something just because I'm told to.

No doubt you will respond with accusing me of being anti something or other thst will leave everyone scratching their heads as that is your agenda, attack and accuse individuals for your personal enjoyment.

Old 04-04-2021, 09:23 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Is good not an old English term for holy?
Sort of, yes.
Quote:
Sense of "kind, benevolent" is from late Old English in reference to persons or God, from mid-14c. of actions. Middle English sense of "holy" is preserved in Good Friday

Old 04-04-2021, 11:16 PM

2,962 posts, read 862,840 times
Quote:
Sort of, yes.
The Hebrew word translated “holy” comes from a term meaning “separate.” Holy refers to a state of being set apart from defilement.

FWIW, from a Christian perspective, Good Friday represents the anniversary of the most significant event in human history.

Old 04-05-2021, 12:29 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Surely you mean 'Human myth'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism