Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2023, 01:57 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,256,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
A bit about what my Ten Truths was all about advocating. Have you read them?
I'll go read it!

Old 03-26-2023, 09:14 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
There are different meanings to the word 'belief'. It can simply mean 'confidence'. That's a different meaning than a religious belief.

I don't have, or need, religious beliefs, in order to navigate the world and my existence. Reality is what is observed and discovered about reality. If that changes, then reality changes. It's as simple as that.

I don't need any belief that the sun will rise tomorrow. I expect that it will. But it either rises, or it doesn't.
But aren't you now talking about " faith " which I understand you lack.

You use the word " expect" . I see it as belief.
A belief you have, based on what information is presently available to you.
If the sun were to explode, and you were alive to see it, I " expect " you would no longer believe it's going to rise in the morning.

Old 03-26-2023, 09:48 AM

29,540 posts, read 9,704,508 times
Quote:
I'll go read it!
Let me know what you think. Please. All the better if you post your thoughts in that thread. To add to the rest...

Old 03-26-2023, 09:55 AM

29,540 posts, read 9,704,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I am glad you are joyful for whatever reason.
Nobody here denied there are facts. That they remain the same is not a given. Facts are not truth. Truth is something that is discerned.
I hope YOU can straighten these out for yourself by yourself some day.
It is getting a bit tiresome and so very predictable. Not a good thing.
Maybe tomorrow would beca good day
I won't bother to look up the comments you have posted along the way that certainly seem to suggest a denial of facts, and you were closer to the mark when you noted that facts remain the same. That's in part what makes them facts and/or truths, but apparently you can't overcome the confusion about how we humans are not always correct about what are facts and/or truths. That's it in a nutshell.

In your own very unique way, I suppose you are free to deny the definition of facts and/or truth, and I agree this merry-go-round of yours is tiresome. Got old and tired a good long time ago, but as long as you keep posting the comments that exhibit this kind of confusion, I'm left with a choice. I can either ignore you again, or post another comment for purposes of clarification. If you'd like to quit, I think we'd all be better off.

Your prerogative of course...

Old 03-26-2023, 09:58 AM

15,952 posts, read 7,015,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
But aren't you now talking about " faith " which I understand you lack.

You use the word " expect" . I see it as belief.
A belief you have, based on what information is presently available to you.
If the sun were to explode, and you were alive to see it, I " expect " you would no longer believe it's going to rise in the morning.
The problem may be the “expectation” of sun rising when we “know” it does no such thing. It is always there.

Old 03-26-2023, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
The problem may be the “expectation” of sun rising when we “know” it does no such thing. It is always there.
Touche

Old 03-26-2023, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
If the sun exploded, I think the fact of my getting vaporized/massively irradiated/boiling from the inside out, would consume most of my immediate concern.

If the sun disappeared into sudden nothingness, we'd be too busy digging underground for warmth, to look up, or debate philosophy. And there would be no morning.

And, yes, I would acknowledge its lack of existence. My capability of doing that would be why I'm an atheist.

Old 03-26-2023, 03:55 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
If the sun exploded, I think the fact of my getting vaporized/massively irradiated/boiling from the inside out, would consume most of my immediate concern.

If the sun disappeared into sudden nothingness, we'd be too busy digging underground for warmth, to look up, or debate philosophy. And there would be no morning.

And, yes, I would acknowledge its lack of existence. My capability of doing that would be why I'm an atheist.
What? You don't think that god would protect all christians from vaporization, irradiation, boiling, and freezing???

Old 03-26-2023, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
What? You don't think that god would protect all christians from vaporization, irradiation, boiling, and freezing???
Ha.

To those saying that the universe is not cold and harsh to humans: may I present that we have one natural light and heat source, that we are pretty much desperately, helplessly dependent upon, and even it, gives us cancer.

Old 03-26-2023, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Ha.

To those saying that the universe is not cold and harsh to humans: may I present that we have one natural light and heat source, that we are pretty much desperately, helplessly dependent upon, and even it, gives us cancer.
Assuming we aren't vaporized by it,
I still " believe " it will appear on the horizon tomorrow morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism