Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2014, 10:40 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,110,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Cartoons are drawn pictures making a point. .
Revisit the post in question. There is no picture making any sort of a point. There is a picture, that silhouette of someone's profile, but it is superfluous to the presentation, the picture is not making any sort of point. If it is, what point?

All points being made are achieved by the text. They are fine points, I do not disagree with any of them, but they are not funny, there is no joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 11:02 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
You are being faux obtuse. The post below #1714 (#1717..by the same poster, but you are not moaning about that one) has a head representing god and a number of points, polemic rather than humourous. Seeker's picture is an atheist's head together with some polemic points, with no joke.

I am not persuaded by your argument that it has no place here. And, as I say, Mods get to rule, not you. The gabfest idea seems to be projection on your part. Keep the debate going over trivia but to get some kind of anti atheist point.

Inappropriate in this thread.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Keep the debate going over trivia but to get some kind of anti atheist point.
I am an atheist and I endorsed the points made by the post. What caused you to conclude that some anti atheist agenda was in operation here?

My objection is the absence of even an attempt at humor in a post contributed to a thread called "Atheist Forum Joke Thread." I do not see it as a stretch of any sort to expect that posts in such a thread should feature.....jokes.

If your complaint is that this is an extended trivial argument, I would point out that one solution would be for you to cease arguing with me, an option you have not taken so far.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:18 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
I apologize for supposing that you were somehow breaking lances for religion. Then I suggests that both drop the matter since the Mods have not seen fit to delete the post. There may be other polemic but unfunny pictures or whatever posted. I suggest we pass over them in silence.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:38 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,918,389 times
Quote:
I apologize for supposing that you were somehow breaking lances for religion. Then I suggests that both drop the matter since the Mods have not seen fit to delete the post. There may be other polemic but unfunny pictures or whatever posted. I suggest we pass over them in silence.
Exactly. Many are and should be thought provoking.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Exactly. Many are and should be thought provoking.
Okay, but how about placing such contributions in threads devoted to such contributions rather than one designated "Jokes?"

Old 07-02-2014, 02:54 PM

19,970 posts, read 13,459,195 times
This appeared on my Twitter feed today. No idea who the original author is, whether they were serious or satirical, whether the person posting this thinks it's brilliant or finds it as hilariously nonsensical as I do, but here it is for your consideration:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrkMqPJCQAEDOf8.jpg

Old 07-02-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
This appeared on my Twitter feed today. No idea who the original author is, whether they were serious or satirical, whether the person posting this thinks it's brilliant or finds it as hilariously nonsensical as I do, but here it is for your consideration:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrkMqPJCQAEDOf8.jpg
I wouldn't dismiss it as a joke on the grounds that it is just too stupid to be believed by anyone. In the '80's The 700 Club had an hour devoted to "debunking that ridiculous theory of evolution" and promised a special guest scientist who was going to come out and present proof that could not be questioned.

The proof turned out to be:
"For 5000 years the Jews have circumcised their newborn males, yet in all that time not one Jewish male has been born already circumcised."

I kid you not, that was really it. And the entire panel proclaimed the fellow a genius and celebrated this final settlement of the question, remembering to thank THE LORD for sending them this sign of certainty.

In terms of cringe factor, I think I'd rate the circumcision proof as dumber than the water consumption proof. We should probably develop a Cringeometer which rates the assertions of theologists and provides a scale by which they may be ranked. A one might be something relatively innocuous such as "I got the promotion at work, God answered my prayers." The upper hierarchy, the nines and tens, would be rreserved for things such as the circumcision and water consumption explanations, or anything found in that Kentucky Creation Museum.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:01 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,212,206 times

Old 07-02-2014, 11:48 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,212,206 times
In celebration of the US voting season, we the world salute you. Can't buy this entertainment at any price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism