Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2020, 10:27 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,739,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Do you lads post on the appropriate music thread? There must be a 'Rock music died at the end of the 80's' thread, just as I reckon the classical music died out with the domination of atonality. Now we are just musical museum -visitors... And maybe, so are you.
Oh yeah, I'm a fossil. Doesn't bother me much. After all, as the bumper sticker says - I saw all the great rock bands!

On a serious note - there's a lot of things that trouble me about modern culture, but IMO, readily available music is one of the things that we got absolutely right. On my iPod you will find classic rock. You will also find american roots music, jazz, classical, celtic, world folk, and goddess knows what else. Often I'll scroll through just so I run into the stuff I forgot I had!

One of my favorite playlists pairs australian didgeridoo with tibetan dungchen. These kinds of horns may be the oldest kinds of non percussion instruments on the face of the planet. Very primal...

Last edited by jacqueg; 01-07-2020 at 10:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 10:32 AM

10,529 posts, read 6,160,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
In 1978, I was 31. 97% of the really great rock music had already been done.

Blues of course went on being really great... But YMCA had nothing to do with that.
Yes but YMCA isn't rock music, it's pop.
Rock music is an entity of it's own. There are lots of other great genre's.
Every once in a while you get someone really great and unique coming forward.
I'm not exactly a spring chicken myself but I like to keep an open mind on this stuff.

Have you heard of Billie Eilish for example?
I think she's still only 18 but was homeschooled and her mother gave her free reign to just play around and make music from a very young age. Extremely talented young lady in my view.

Anyway, I've got a bit off track, sorry.

Back to the jokes.

Last edited by Cruithne; 01-07-2020 at 10:41 AM..

Old 01-07-2020, 10:55 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,174,182 times
Quote:
In 1978, I was 31. 97% of the really great rock music had already been done.

Blues of course went on being really great... But YMCA had nothing to do with that.
I'm a little older than you, born in '51. An older cousin got me into Pop-Rock in the late 50s and early 60s - Elvis, Fats Domino, Carl Perkins. The 60s has to vie with the 70s as the greatest decade for rock. The Brit Invasion in the mid-60s revitalized the genre - ironically by introducing North America to some of its own music. The Yardbirds and Stones and Beatles et al charted with tunes written by American black bluesmen decades earlier.

Technological improvements - better instruments, sound systems, recording studios - really helped fuel the explosion of great music in the 70s.

The 80s had about 7 good songs.

The 90s and 00s picked things up some but mostly for roots music, as far as stuff I care for. Not a fan of hip hop, rap, death metal, urban synth etc.

Last edited by TroutDude; 01-07-2020 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: ETA: Math was never my strong suit. You're 4 years older. ;)

Old 01-08-2020, 12:32 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
Oh yeah, I'm a fossil. Doesn't bother me much. After all, as the bumper sticker says - I saw all the great rock bands!

On a serious note - there's a lot of things that trouble me about modern culture, but IMO, readily available music is one of the things that we got absolutely right. On my iPod you will find classic rock. You will also find american roots music, jazz, classical, celtic, world folk, and goddess knows what else. Often I'll scroll through just so I run into the stuff I forgot I had!

One of my favorite playlists pairs australian didgeridoo with tibetan dungchen. These kinds of horns may be the oldest kinds of non percussion instruments on the face of the planet. Very primal...
That sounds good...but maybe one for the 'Chat about anything' thread.

Old 01-11-2020, 04:04 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,602,792 times

Old 01-12-2020, 08:21 AM

Somewhere in the world, a man converting to Islam every five minutes.

We are determined to find him and stop him.

Old 01-13-2020, 12:31 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,859 times
A little late, but here's a Christmas carol:

God rest ye merry, atheists, let nothing you dismay;
Remember there's no evidence there was a Christmas Day;
When Christ was born is just not known, no matter what they say,
O, Tidings of reason and fact, reason and fact,
Glad tidings of reason and fact.

There was no star of Bethlehem, there was no angels' song;
There could have been no wise men for the trip would take too long.
The stories in the Bible are historically wrong,
Glad tidings of reason and fact!

Our current Christmas customs come from Persia and from Greece,
From solstice celebrations of the ancient Middle East.
We know our so-called holy day is just a pagan feast,
Glad tidings of reason and fact.

Old 01-13-2020, 01:52 PM

That made me laugh

Old 01-13-2020, 01:58 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,602,792 times
What happened to the picture upload icon and the web link icons?

the format is all screwed up lately
Attached Thumbnails
Atheist Forum Joke Thread-82376904_2821478527895447_380643314854002688_o.jpg  

Old 01-15-2020, 08:31 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
What happened to the picture upload icon and the web link icons?

the format is all screwed up lately
You've finally gone far enough to really P*** Off God Sam and he's shut the cartoon posting capability down...

I think I heard something from the heavens sounding like "If Sam's gonna mock me, he's gonna have to at least post something "home made" or original"....

Word is he won't lift the ban till it's done...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism