Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 03:12 AM

513 posts, read 1,632,542 times

Advertisements

Finally? This show is still on the air? I saw the first two seasons and then bagged on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 07:42 AM

397 posts, read 843,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
You don't have the logic to explain. Other wise you would had done it instead of making a cute come back.. so it's ok.
I "would had" replied if you "could had" properly communicated your request.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:59 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post

Imagine if any of these movies had been set anywhere else besides those cities. Can any of you understand what I'm getting at?
I do know what you're getting at; what you are looking for is films where the city is like another character in the film. In the case of Atlanta, I would argue:

Gone With the Wind
Sharky's Machine
Driving Miss Daisy (not sure why you're so amused by that; the film won an Oscar for Best Picture, the play several Tonys)

I know, there are just three that come to mind right now. But of the three, two are Oscar winners for Best Picture. Not bad.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:15 AM

200 posts, read 449,412 times
Real World Las Vegas was the ish...they even had "5 year reunion" for it...

Old 09-19-2010, 11:30 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md911 View Post
Wouldnt that be a good reason to have real world in ATL if that was the case since most of the people on the real world are young and in college?

As far as film production budget goes and making "millions" off cheap budgets

Drumline made around $57 mil worldwide on a $20 mil budget... I wouldnt consider that a failure...

Barbershop made around $77 mil worldwide on a $12 mil budget... I wouldnt consider that a failure.

Stomp the Yard made around $75 mil worldwide and a $13 mil budget... I wouldnt consider that a failure.

They still made profits off those movie no matter what any critic says..
Of course we all know that some people consider movies that they don't like (or didn't see) "failures"...but most of us know that this is not reality. No logical person would consider those moves list above "failures" simply because of the profit margin.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I do know what you're getting at; what you are looking for is films where the city is like another character in the film. In the case of Atlanta, I would argue:

Gone With the Wind
Sharky's Machine
Driving Miss Daisy (not sure why you're so amused by that; the film won an Oscar for Best Picture, the play several Tonys)

I know, there are just three that come to mind right now. But of the three, two are Oscar winners for Best Picture. Not bad.
But none of them are named "Taxi Driver"!!! By the way, that movie wasn't an instant hit...it took many years to become a classic. Some of the movies that have been mentioned as "failures" might be considered differently after a decade or so passes.

For someone to discount GWTW and/or Driving Miss Daisy is nothing short of film sacrilege, and is obviously just an attempt to discount Atlanta as a film setting. For shame!

Last edited by DeaconJ; 09-19-2010 at 11:59 AM..

Old 09-19-2010, 11:51 AM

8 posts, read 23,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Of course we all know that some people consider movies that they don't like (or didn't see) "failures"...but most of us know that this is not reality. No logical person would consider those moves list above "failures" simply because of the profit margin.

Im still trying to see where ya'll see that Barbershop was made in Atlanta.. it say's Chicago.. so i did so much searching i can't find anything that say's Atlanta on it.. where did y'all find that info?

Old 09-19-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dninc View Post
Im still trying to see where ya'll see that Barbershop was made in Atlanta.. it say's Chicago.. so i did so much searching i can't find anything that say's Atlanta on it.. where did y'all find that info?
I first saw Barbershop mentioned in your post 2 pages back where you listed it as a "failure". Did someone say that it was filmed in Atlanta? I have no idea where it was filmed, but the setting was Chicago. I was just responding to the assertion that the film was a failure...I actually really liked it.

What I'm trying to figure out is...why do you (and so many people for that matter) consider Atlanta a "black city" when it's population only 31% black? Atlanta is a great city for black culture and success, but it's still 59% white.

Last edited by DeaconJ; 09-19-2010 at 12:08 PM..

Old 09-19-2010, 01:16 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,532,532 times
DeaconJ, let me just handle a few of your points...

"But none of them are named "Taxi Driver"!!! By the way, that movie wasn't an instant hit...it took many years to become a classic. Some of the movies that have been mentioned as "failures" might be considered differently after a decade or so passes.

For someone to discount GWTW and/or Driving Miss Daisy is nothing short of film sacrilege, and is obviously just an attempt to discount Atlanta as a film setting. For shame!"

I wasn't denigrating DMD with the LOL. I was throwing it back at MikeandIke who threw one in there just to be a smarta$$. It's a decent move. I think it did a good job of showing mid-20th century Atlanta. It is the exception though.

GWTW is melodramatic crap in my opinion but it is considered a critical and commercial success. However, it was set in the 1860's. At least Taxi Driver is set in the 1970's. And guess what? It wasn't even shot anywhere near Atlanta.

Film locations for Gone With The Wind

I haven't seen Sharky's Machine and I'm wondering why I never got around to it. I watched a preview and it looked kind of gritty which is cool. But seriously? Someone had to dig deep for that one.

"What I'm trying to figure out is...why do you (and so many people for that matter) consider Atlanta a "black city" when it's population only 31% black? Atlanta is a great city for black culture and success, but it's still 59% white."

You have those stats backwards. Atlanta is known nationwide as a "Black Mecca."

"Of course we all know that some people consider movies that they don't like (or didn't see) "failures"...but most of us know that this is not reality. No logical person would consider those moves list above "failures" simply because of the profit margin."

Justin Bieber probably has already made 100's of times what J.S. Bach ever made.
Vincent Van Gogh never sold a painting when he was alive.

Profit margin don't mean s*&# when it comes to lasting cultural impact.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
DeaconJ, let me just handle a few of your points...

"But none of them are named "Taxi Driver"!!! By the way, that movie wasn't an instant hit...it took many years to become a classic. Some of the movies that have been mentioned as "failures" might be considered differently after a decade or so passes.

For someone to discount GWTW and/or Driving Miss Daisy is nothing short of film sacrilege, and is obviously just an attempt to discount Atlanta as a film setting. For shame!"

I wasn't denigrating DMD with the LOL. I was throwing it back at MikeandIke who threw one in there just to be a smarta$$. It's a decent move. I think it did a good job of showing mid-20th century Atlanta. It is the exception though.

GWTW is melodramatic crap in my opinion but it is considered a critical and commercial success. However, it was set in the 1860's. At least Taxi Driver is set in the 1970's. And guess what? It wasn't even shot anywhere near Atlanta.

Film locations for Gone With The Wind

I haven't seen Sharky's Machine and I'm wondering why I never got around to it. I watched a preview and it looked kind of gritty which is cool. But seriously? Someone had to dig deep for that one.

"What I'm trying to figure out is...why do you (and so many people for that matter) consider Atlanta a "black city" when it's population only 31% black? Atlanta is a great city for black culture and success, but it's still 59% white."

You have those stats backwards. Atlanta is known nationwide as a "Black Mecca."

"Of course we all know that some people consider movies that they don't like (or didn't see) "failures"...but most of us know that this is not reality. No logical person would consider those moves list above "failures" simply because of the profit margin."

Justin Bieber probably has already made 100's of times what J.S. Bach ever made.
Vincent Van Gogh never sold a painting when he was alive.

Profit margin don't mean s*&# when it comes to lasting cultural impact.
No, I don't have the stats backwards...Atlanta is 59% white, 31% black, and an additional small list of other percentages. Check for yourself under demographics...Atlanta metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Yes, people refer to Atlanta as a "black mecca" for the reasons I listed earlier - not because it's a "black city".

We weren't discussing cultural significance...the topic was whether a movie is considered a "failure", so profit means a lot when we stay on subject.

Your entire argument is based on your opinions...that's fine, we all have them. But there is no reason to continue trying to get the rest of us to agree with your opinions. I like the movies I like and you like movies you like. Taxi Driver is alright, but nowhere on my list of favorites. GWTW on the other hand is one of my all time favorites - that doesn't make me less of a film critic than you by any stretch of the imagination. By the way, did someone assert that GWTW was made in Atlanta? The setting was Atlanta, and that was the topic - which you seem to often change.

Maybe my "city-data clique" can back me up? That's the way you worded in the PM you sent me right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta