Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-08-2013, 09:56 AM
 
421 posts, read 749,831 times
Reputation: 166

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Where did I say anything about the media? Nowhere! But the reality is that since the Olympics, legend has been built around Atlanta being a Black Mecca--the place for black people to come here to succeed, get jobs and buy homes. This is spread by other blacks not the media. And while Atlanta has had a strong black middle class, things have changed, especially with the recession.

I have known dozens upon dozens of black people who have moved here because they were told by other blacks that they could do better here than in the other major cities they came from and what they end up getting is low-paying work (less than what they were making before they moved here) often making minimum wage or at most $10 an hour with their college education, and they struggle; and I have personally known many blacks who have come here looking for the black American dream and ended up homeless, and I have heard countless stories of this happening to other blacks that I don't know personally. You don't have to agree with me or like what I say but it's the truth and it has and does happen. Most of the black people I know who have gone through homeless or constant job losses and underemployment in Atlanta have since left and are making great salaries where ever they went to.

I used work with a girl who went to Spelman. She was telling me how one of her former school mates moved here with her mom and they were living in their car. One of my friends with her Master's was living out her car and was in and out of shelters with her child because she simply couldn't decent-paying work. This happens more than people realize. Don't shoot the messenger.
I am glad to see many of the people who were struggling are managing to do well elsewhere. Honestly, though based on what you are telling me these people moved for bad reasons and had no real plans.

You don't move somewhere without a job and you surely don't do it based on hearsay and no back up plan. This sounds like bad planning on their part, no Atlanta's fault.

 
Old 05-08-2013, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Sweet Home...CHICAGO
3,421 posts, read 5,220,909 times
Reputation: 4355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeminds View Post
I am glad to see many of the people who were struggling are managing to do well elsewhere. Honestly, though based on what you are telling me these people moved for bad reasons and had no real plans.

You don't move somewhere without a job and you surely don't do it based on hearsay and no back up plan. This sounds like bad planning on their part, no Atlanta's fault.
I also didn't blame Atlanta. Homelessness is a problem everywhere and it is pretty bad here. The purpose of my post was not to blame Atlanta. I simply want to remind people that yes, Atlanta does have a homelessness problem, it's pretty bad, but not everyone who is a part of this growing problem are crackheads, loonies and bums--that normal, otherwise hard-working, skilled and educated people make up the increasing numbers because of the tough job market, so we should not be so quick to judge who is homeless and why.

Someone also mentioned that there seems to be a disproportionate of black homeless here. And yes, a lot of black people do in fact move here from other places looking for opportunities and not finding them and make up the homeless rolls.
 
Old 05-08-2013, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
504 posts, read 1,545,972 times
Reputation: 192
This isn't exactly about homeless / bums, but I was at a gas station on Boulevard near Grant Park a few years ago and a guy pulled up in a BMW. He got out and was wearing a 3 piece suit and had the gall to ask me for a $1! Seriously, wtf?

There seems to be a pervasive attitude of "give me something" here in this city.
 
Old 05-08-2013, 11:39 AM
 
18 posts, read 16,543 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
I have been to all of those places - your point? It doesn't eliminate the fact we have a lot of homeless people Downtown and I've seen a few wondering around Midtown and Buckhead (twitching I might add)... and yes, that is a problem. Do you think it's a good thing??? Downtown Atlanta has a lot of potential if we could cut down on the bums, crackheads and panhandlers.
I no longer reside in Atlanta, but while I was there, I worked downtown and it was absolutely horrible. Around 7:30am, I'd always see plenty of homeless people sleeping on the ground or panhandling near the McDonald's restaurant.

I worked in the federal builidng and needless to say, I was very thankful for the security team. They did an excellent job ensuring that the homeless were no where near the building grounds.
 
Old 05-08-2013, 12:29 PM
 
18 posts, read 16,543 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I also didn't blame Atlanta. Homelessness is a problem everywhere and it is pretty bad here. The purpose of my post was not to blame Atlanta. I simply want to remind people that yes, Atlanta does have a homelessness problem, it's pretty bad, but not everyone who is a part of this growing problem are crackheads, loonies and bums--that normal, otherwise hard-working, skilled and educated people make up the increasing numbers because of the tough job market, so we should not be so quick to judge who is homeless and why.

Someone also mentioned that there seems to be a disproportionate of black homeless here. And yes, a lot of black people do in fact move here from other places looking for opportunities and not finding them and make up the homeless rolls.
Despite all of the cuts to social service programs, destitute U.S. citizens, can still apply for welfare, food stamps and housing vouchers.

The reality is however, that the bulk of homeless people in ATL are mentally ill and/or have drug related issues. This explains why even with various social services, they usually do not have the ability to maintain a roof over their heads.
 
Old 05-08-2013, 12:32 PM
 
6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
Reputation: 4230
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSummer2013 View Post
Despite all of the cuts to social service programs, destitute U.S. citizens, can still apply for welfare and housing vouchers.

The reality is however, that the bulk of homeless people in ATL are mentally ill and/or have drug related issues. This explains why even with various social services, they usually do not have the ability to maintain a roof over their heads.
I don't actually believe that a lot of the panhandlers in Atlanta ARE homeless. I get the idea that many of them see it as a way to make money without the hassle of a job, but they often do have homes. I may be wrong, but it's just a feeling...
 
Old 05-08-2013, 12:35 PM
 
18 posts, read 16,543 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I think there is a need however, to differentiate between someone who is "homeless" and someone who is a "bum".
Truthfully, I don't see the difference, because after a while, the majority of people who live on the street become bummy in appearance (if they do not have access to clean water to bathe in and clean clothes to wear).
 
Old 05-08-2013, 12:36 PM
 
9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Reputation: 3631
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I don't actually believe that a lot of the panhandlers in Atlanta ARE homeless. I get the idea that many of them see it as a way to make money without the hassle of a job, but they often do have homes. I may be wrong, but it's just a feeling...
Good point. You can usually tell the difference between someone who's homeless and truly needs money, and someone who's just scamming. The dirty, limping guy in tattered clothes who's mumbling to himself with his hand out is probably homeless (or a pretty good scam artist). The guy who some sauntering up to you in a pair of $200 jeans saying "yo, yo, yo- can you spare some change, bro? My car ran out of gas and I need to get home", is probably not homeless.
 
Old 05-08-2013, 12:47 PM
 
18 posts, read 16,543 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Good point. You can usually tell the difference between someone who's homeless and truly needs money, and someone who's just scamming. The dirty, limping guy in tattered clothes who's mumbling to himself with his hand out is probably homeless (or a pretty good scam artist). The guy who some sauntering up to you in a pair of $200 jeans saying "yo, yo, yo- can you spare some change, bro? My car ran out of gas and I need to get home", is probably not homeless.
I have been approached by non homeless individuals asking for bus fare (usually teens). I don't really have issues with giving them a dollar or 50 cents. It's a small amount of money, and if they really needed it to help pay for fare, they were able to get home.
 
Old 05-08-2013, 12:57 PM
 
18 posts, read 16,543 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Because the people who are making this threads have never been anywhere or they just want to complain about something IMO
I've lived in a number of cities, and ATL most certainly does have a sizable homeless population. It's very noticeable, because certain areas (like downtown) have high numbers of people walking around looking very bummy or sleeping on the ground.

In places like NYC, you see a lot of homeless, but you also see lots of activity and a thriving bustling city with lots of pedestrians walking around.

In my opinion, pockets of San Francisco, L.A. and San Diego seem to have more homeless people than downtown Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top