Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 07:34 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,916,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
I can not really pinpoint the posts. In most "Atlanta vs" threads this gets mentioned.
We mention our African American populous. I cant recall seeing the words(Black Mecca) used by anyone in Atlanta forum in a while. Just do a google search and type in Black Mecca and see what you get. We Atlantians didnt create it, the Media did. Atlanta help that it has the second largest Black population in USA and one of the most educated black population

Old 01-26-2012, 07:39 PM

183 posts, read 197,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster87 View Post
Are you kidding me? What about the whole black hollywood thing? With the amount of maintstream films and shows produced here, somehow it's always about Atlanta being "black hollywood". I'm with meep - Atlanta needs to be represented as a great place for all races and backgrounds.
How does "black Hollywood "= "black mecca"?

What about all the "Asian or Korean mecca" post I see.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster87 View Post
Are you kidding me? What about the whole black hollywood thing? With the amount of maintstream films and shows produced here, somehow it's always about Atlanta being "black hollywood". I'm with meep - Atlanta needs to be represented as a great place for all races and backgrounds.

All races are represented there all in Gwinnett County .Black Hollywood and Black mecca are 2 different Phrases. The city of Atlanta doesnt promote if your black you should come here the Media does B.E.T and all the other countless articles that suggest such.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
I can not really pinpoint the posts. In most "Atlanta vs" threads this gets mentioned.
Most post in city vs city dealing with Atlanta are not Atlanta posters. You would be surprised.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:44 PM

Basically, the city nor the posters from the city boost Atlanta with"black Mecca " or anything like that. That is the media and outsiders.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachcity View Post
Most post in city vs city dealing with Atlanta are not Atlanta posters. You would be surprised.
I agree. Atlanta is popular on these boards so Im just waiting for certain posters to showup one has already shown up Im waiting for 10 more.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:46 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,788,480 times
I sometimes get tired of the whole bleck mecca thing myself, especially being white. Black Mecca doesn't define what this city is as a whole by any means. It certainly doesn't define how the city was founded or what caused it to grow.

However, sometimes I remember to take it with a grain of salt too. It does define a trend that exists. Atlanta is one of the premiere major where a sizable black middle class and black leadership exists that gives many something to be proud of and it is something that doesn't exist in too many places. If you go to some parts of Atlanta it is easy to see many blacks as people stuck in low-income neighborhoods. However, you go to other parts of town, such as Stonecrest, it is easy to see how the black middle class is alive and ticking. That means something to many, but perhaps that is not my place to argue it since it doesn't affect me personally.

In other words... it might not define all of Atlanta, but it does define a piece of it.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I sometimes get tired of the whole bleck mecca thing myself, especially being white. Black Mecca doesn't define what this city is as a whole by any means. It certainly doesn't define how the city was founded or what caused it to grow.

However, sometimes I remember to take it with a grain of salt too. It does define a trend that exists. Atlanta is one of the premiere major where a sizable black middle class and black leadership exists that gives many something to be proud of and it is something that doesn't exist in too many places. If you go to some parts of Atlanta it is easy to see many blacks as people stuck in low-income neighborhoods. However, you go to other parts of town, such as Stonecrest, it is easy to see how the black middle class is alive and ticking. That means something to many, but perhaps that is not my place to argue it since it doesn't affect me personally.

In other words... it might not define all of Atlanta, but it does define a piece of it.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:54 PM

16,717 posts, read 29,571,371 times
Quote:
Aires,

I am not rented. I try to be thoughtful and honest. Of course, if i don't think like super liberal and millitant, then i am selling out. Way to promote black thought and freedom.
No one said anything about you being rented.

Just throwing it out there for thought.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:56 PM

16,717 posts, read 29,571,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post

This. It is an element of beautiful, multi-faceted Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta