Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 07:43 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,941,307 times

Advertisements

Now, which photo speaks highly of America and the particular state it's in?

This is why I love North Carolina...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 02:12 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times
If you're not familiar with the interstates going through Greensboro, you can get MAJORLY confused.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:21 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,106,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
And don't forget, NC is quietly using $600 million from the federal government's high-speed rail initiative to upgrade tracks allowing for faster trains from Charlotte to Raleigh to DC. Virginia and NC are splitting the cost to revive an abandoned track from Raleigh to Richmond that will drastically improve travel times to the Northeast Corridor. Currently rail service must head east to Rocky Mount before turning north to Richmond.

What I love is how NC is doing this under the political radar. So Atlanta can remain the rail hub for freight and distribution, but NC is going to literally be connected to the Northeast Corridor in less than 5 years. A leisurely 3 hour train ride to D.C. This is big for the State of North Carolina.
What's up with yall North Carolinians boating about the northeast? It nearly seem like a inferiority complex of being the southeast, wanting to be a part of the northeast or something. I give props to NC for connecting to the northeast "getting it out the way is smarter" but this is a big country. And the ideal that NC is closer to the northeast is some logistic advantage over Atlanta is off. And the rail line connecting NC to Atlanta is important "because NC is in the southeast". In the future Atlanta is going to be more of a partner than competitor.

In the long run Atlanta is going to end up being the high speed hub for the southeast because ATL is going to have to connect the south Atlantic with the midwest and rest of the south. But again props to NC.

http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/w...sr-network.png

Old 03-17-2012, 04:35 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:

What's the diff? The lack of billboards in NC? I would applaud that too!

Old 03-18-2012, 08:14 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,913,077 times
Quote:

Not this crap again.. I know there is about 30 threads where u post these road signs

Old 03-18-2012, 08:39 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,004,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Not this crap again.. I know there is about 30 threads where u post these road signs
LOL, yeah, I have no idea what the obession is with those signs. I recently drove through NC and while their roads were nice and new (due to them recently being the boonies because the area is experiencing rapid growth), I do not understand why there is so much made about those signs. Aside from the styling details, I gained nothing from viewing them other than just another highway sign.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:04 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,688,945 times
Quote:

This is pathetic. I know NC very well and post/hand pick a gazillion pics of junky roads. Hand pick being the operative word.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
This is pathetic. I know NC very well and post/hand pick a gazillion pics of junky roads. Hand pick being the operative word.
Go to aaroads.com, and you'll thousands of road pics from every state. PLEASE FIND ANY TWO PICS from Georgia and North Carolina and show everyone where Georgia's looks better.

PLEASE! I can't wait to see them!

Old 03-19-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
What's up with yall North Carolinians boating about the northeast? It nearly seem like a inferiority complex of being the southeast, wanting to be a part of the northeast or something. I give props to NC for connecting to the northeast "getting it out the way is smarter" but this is a big country. And the ideal that NC is closer to the northeast is some logistic advantage over Atlanta is off. And the rail line connecting NC to Atlanta is important "because NC is in the southeast". In the future Atlanta is going to be more of a partner than competitor.

In the long run Atlanta is going to end up being the high speed hub for the southeast because ATL is going to have to connect the south Atlantic with the midwest and rest of the south. But again props to NC.

http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/w...sr-network.png
Georgia was awarded $0 from the high-speed rail stimulus money. Every other state had completed comprehensive studies years ago that the Feds could evaluate when divi-ing up the money. Georgia hadn't even thought about high speed rail, much less done any studies. I hope Georgia does get its act together one day and catch up with the rest of the East Coast. I'm doubting it'll be in my lifetime though, unfortunately.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:09 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,106,656 times
Quote:
Georgia was awarded $0 from the high-speed rail stimulus money. Every other state had completed comprehensive studies years ago that the Feds could evaluate when divi-ing up the money. Georgia hadn't even thought about high speed rail, much less done any studies. I hope Georgia does get its act together one day and catch up with the rest of the East Coast. I'm doubting it'll be in my lifetime though, unfortunately.
You didn't really take my post in did you?

1. The northeast is one direction

2. Atlanta location is set to hub the southeast if Charlotte don't connect to Atlanta, the northeast will be the only direction you can go from North Carolina.

3. Even with high speed rail to the northeast, NC cities are not BosWosh, NC is not apart BosWosh economic region. NC cities connected with Atlanta as a emerging mega region. It's actually more important for both states to connect to each other than either of the states going another way.

4. lets say someone from NC wanted to go to LA now they got to go up the east coast to the Midwest then southwestward. If someone from NY wanted go to Houston now there's no point of going to the NC cities at all. In fact they won't even be able to go to Florida either.

5. Don't pity Georgia if high speed rail don't comes to Atlanta in our life time. Pity the south Atlantic as a whole. Pity NC for being a dead end with no logistic advantage for high speed rail to travel though.

Rep. Scott: Ga. to win $4.1M for Atlanta-Charlotte rail *| ajc.com

Ga. gets $4M grant for high-speed rail to NC *| ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/news/ga-gets-4m-grant-1258795.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta